STDs Expert Forum
painless red bump on genital area

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

painless red bump on genital area

I'd like to begin by saying that this forum has been a great help to me. I've learned a lot just by reading some of the archives.

My question is this: About a month ago I found a red bump on my outer vaginal lips, about 4 days after shaving. It looked a lot like a pimple or ingrown hair and it wasn't very painful. It didn't have a white "head" on it or anything, but thinking it was a pimple, I tried to pop it. Nothing came out, so for a few days I put pimple cream on it. This seemed to help and the bump was getting smaller. Then one day while i was in the shower, I looked down and noticed that it seemed to have formed a head on it due to the steam of the shower. I tried to pop it, but nothing came out..no blood, no pus, no fluid. The "head" on the bump seemed to have been just dry skin that had puffed up or something and just peeled away. It didn't appear to have left an open sore and it never bled or oozed. It formed a tiny, thin, red scab, much like one that forms after you pop a pimple. Then it went away without leaving a scar. It lasted for less than a week in total.

I never noticed a hair growing out of the bump, though there were several growing right around it. I did notice a few other bumps that showed up after the next time I shaved that looked similar to the one in question that DID have hair growing out of them.
I guess I am just wondering if this sounds typical of any type of skin condition. I am a little concerned about herpes..I had unprotected sex over 9 months ago and have had no other symtpoms until this bump.

Thank you for your time!
It sounds more like a pimple than anything else, but I can't really say much more.  Conceivably it is herpes, but it doesn't really sound like it.  If it stays away and you have no other symptoms, I wouldn't worry about it.  If the bump reappears, or if similar lesions pop up, see a healthc are provider.  But if you're particularly concerned about herpes, you can be tested for it without waiting for a new lesion.  See many strings about the proper herpes blood tests to be sure of an accurate result.

Good luck-- HHH, MD
Thanks so much for the advice and quick response! I know I should probably get tested but I will try not to worry too much in the meantime
A related discussion, what should I trust was started.