STDs Expert Forum
redness on uvula with small bumps

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

redness on uvula with small bumps

I have splotchy redness on my uvula and what feels like 3-4 very small bumps in the center of the redness, they don’t look like bumps to the naked eye, non painful and no itching, its been three weeks now and its not really going away, I think it arrived after giving a male friend oral sex three weeks ago, but i cant be sure, the redness appears to be fading into a light pink but the bumps are still there, perfectly flesh colored pink
1. My doctor said it didn't appear to be warts and they are rare in the mouth caused its constantly shedding skin and it unlikely to contract.  Is this true?

He said it could be warts if it doesnt go away in a month, which is in seven days!!!  

2. negative for all stds, IGG herpes at .06. Since my IGG came back negative and my last sexual experience was about three weeks ago, should i retest.
3.The partners i have been with in the past, didnt seem to have any visible symptoms, does that reduce the risk of transmitting HPV, what if there were signs, is the risk higher
4.does this sound like warts?
5. What are the chances of contracting oral warts, i heard its rare?, this seems too coincidental after giving my friend oral sex, should I see a specialist, would they even know what to look for? Is there a statistic of what the chances are of oral warts? Like 1 in 100, 1 in a 1000.
6. Is it likely to contract oral warts or HPV with no visible signs?
7. If they do begin to fade would that indicate that it is not warts?
8. If the red goes away but the small bumps stay, would that indicate anything?
9. How long should I wait before going to see a specialist?
10. Is there a test, biopsy to determine cause by hpv?
11. Is redness surrounding small bumps an indication of warts?
12. Also, gardasil,Recommend it, what if someone was exposed to HPV, should I not get it

You do not need to start a new question for follow-up.  PLease ask these follow-up questions as a continuation of the thread yoiu started with Dr. Handsfield.  EWH
sorry this was an entirely new set of questions for different symptoms, I thought i needed to repost and pay since it was a new topic, it wasnt really relating to my original post, if you dont mind skimming over my post and looking over my questions that would be great
hey i was told not to post to the other doctor cause it was a new topic, will you read over these questions i have above
I think you are failing to see that when you move your attention from concerns about your tonsil (1rst post) to your uvula (this post) you are really working with nuances and whether or not you think this might somehow might be different, neither Dr. Handsfield nor I share that feeling.  I will answer your questions, in large part agreeing with the sense and tone of the information that Dr. Handsfield has already given you. That is, to summarize, your risk of oral HPV (tonsil, uvula, roof of your mouth or wherever you look next) is small and, short of biopsy, which is something neither of us would recommend because there simply little evidence that oral HPV is a problem for such concern, there is little to do.  So, I will address your questions, hopefully allowing you to move on.

1.  The issue of the frequency of oral HPV infections as well as its import is a topic of research,  At the present time there are no recommendations for testing, treatment or reason to worry about these infections except from the perspective of a researcher.  As to why oral HPV is not a major problem, hard to say.
2.  We don't recommend routine HSV tests.  A negative IgG at 3 weeks would detect about half of recently acquired HSV infections. I would not have recommended testing for you to evaluate the symptoms you describe so I see no need for re-testing.
3.  this is an unanswerable question.  Nothing to say.
4.  No, no, no!!!!!!!
5.   See one above
6, 7, and 8. What if questions.  Nothing to say.
9.  As Dr. Handsfield said, he saw no reason for concern but if you feel the need, you should see an ENT specialist..  I agree
10.  I'm sure if you look long and hard enough you can find someone to biopsy you.  I would not recommend it.  See no. 1above.
11.  No.
12.  At least, a question that there is an answer for.  I think the HPV vaccine is a good idea for sexually active persons. Since so little is known about oral HPV, I cannot comment on its role in protecting you from future oral HPV.

I hope you will move on from hear. In my opinion, you really are overly concerned about the consequences of your performance of oral sex on others.  EWH
I really appreciate the answers to questions 4 and 11, i just really needed to hear that its more in my head than anything, i wanted to consult a specialist in stds to get more of an idea to what a md wouldnt know, so far im feeling much better about the situation, i just wish these damn bumps would go away, thanks again
sorry again, if you read this, can I ask you one more question, what do you think something like this could be, and also would an ENT know what to look for...
Sorry once again, i know you said it doesn't sounds anything like warts, but is there a time frame typically for warts to develop, if ever, i mean this seemed to appear a few days after giving my friend oral sex, would that even be possible,
You continue to perseverate about warts.  I have no desire to fuel this misdirected concern.  Warts typically take weeks to develop.  

This ends this thread. There will be no further answers.  If you see an ENT you may post to tell us what he/she says.  Otherwise there is no reason for the post to continue.  EWH