STDs Expert Forum
rpr

The STD Forum is intended only for questions and support pertaining to sexually transmitted diseases other than HIV/AIDS, including chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, human papillomavirus, genital warts, trichomonas, other vaginal infections, nongonoccal urethritis (NGU), cervicitis, molluscum contagiosum, chancroid, and pelvic inflammatory disease (PID). All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

rpr

I’ll try to keep this short.  A year ago I was afflicted with the most difficult disease to treat:  “guilt std”.  Over tested, over medicated and later developed a perianal rash that my physician  felt was yeast from back to back to back antibiotics.   Over the last year the rash has reappeared 3 additional times lasting a couple of weeks each time.  I had it rechecked the first time but not the other two as it seems self-limiting and the discomfort is largely controlled with 1% cortisone cream.

Most recently (last week) the rash has returned and this time I have simultaneously developed a couple of painful little ulcers in my mouth.  Not typical for me.  During the original  problem a year ago I had a non-reactive rpr at 8 and 12 weeks post exposure and was negative for hsv 2.   Two weeks ago, just before the rash returned I had done a follow up test and everything was negative.  Do these symptoms warrant any further testing.  Thanks.
Welcome back to the forum.  But you continue to overreact unnecessarily, perhaps out of guilt over a sexual decision you regret.

Assuming this concerns the same exposure you asked about in two threads about a year ago, the antibiotics you received (unnecessarily) at that time would have prevented or cured incubating syphilis.  The negative tests you describe also prove you did not catch herpes or syphilis.  If you have not had other high risk sexual exposures since then, it is impossible you have syphilis at this time.  In any case, the sort of rash you describe does not suggest syphilis or herpes, and I'm quite certain it has nothing at all to do with the sexual exposure last year.  You do not need any further testing for either of these STDs.

If the rash continues or you remain concerned about it, see a doctor or clinic for diagnosis and possible treatment.  But please do your best to stop worrying about syphilis, herpes, or any other STD from that event.

Regards--  HHH, MD
Just curious.  Even without the antibiotics (which unfortunately actually happened) would you have considered the neg. 12 week RPR the final word? Thanks.
Yes.

Ignore any and all additional thoughts, fears, or anxieties that come to mind about STDs.  You don't have anything.  Believe it.  Suck it up and move on, don't post any more comments on this thread, and don't return with any new questions about it.  I won't have any further comments or advice.