Sexual Health Community
Fishy Smell on Penis

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

Fishy Smell on Penis

Hey guys

So for the past couple of weeks, I've noticed a very strong fishy odor coming from my penis. I am 21, circumcised. I am overweight, but I have been fixing my diet over the past year and have never had this occur before.

Back in December I had several blisters appear on my shaft and head, which were very painful and scabbed, pealed off, and completely healed. I never sought medical attention because at the time I did not have health insurance.

But those are completely gone. And this smell is very strong. I used to get that smell very faintly if I hadn't showered in over a day. But usually I shower every single day and I clean my penis very thoroughly. Although I am circumcised, there is a little bit of foreskin left. I always pull it all back and clean very thoroughly with Old Spice shower gel.

I do not think it is thrush or any kind of UTI or yeast infection, for I have no other symptoms (burning when urinating, pain/itchiness in penis head, etc.) I only have this fishy smell. It's really embarrassing.

I know diet can change the smell of your penis, and the only thing I can think of is that I am an American and I just moved to the United Kingdom in early January. I almost always cook my own meals and I haven't really been eating anything that's different than what I eat at home.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I have health insurance now but it's worldwide health insurance and I still need to look into what things are covered by it.
It can be due to sweating. Although perspiration is basically odorless, it can take on an unpleasant smell when it comes into contact with bacteria on your skin. Most often, it's the bacterial breakdown of apocrine sweat that causes a strong odor.
Take regular baths and wear loose cotton clothes.Please avoid taking heavy fatty meal and eat nutritious,healthy food.If the smell still persists then get yourself evaluated for liver or kidney disorders.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
If you're in the UK, if you attend an NHS sexual health centre then it is free and includes any and all medications needed afterwards. Even if there is nothing sexual involved, the doctor or nurse will be able to advise you.
Penis odor under the foreskin is normal and caused by bacteria that are attracted to body oils, sweat, and dead skin cells that accumulate there. Washing every day and using a penis health cream with vitamin A (a natural antibacterial ingredient) can reduce the odor.