Sexual Health Community
testicular torsion

This forum is patient support community for questions discussing Birth Control, Fetishes, Foreplay, Intimacy, Masturbation, Orgasms, Partners and Relationships, Pornography, Positive and Negative Sexual Experiences, Virginity, Safe Sex, Sexual Orientation, Sexual Surrogates, Sexual Positions, stimulation, and toys. This forum is not for STD or HIV related questions. For these questions, please visit our STD or HIV forums.

testicular torsion

Hi, I have read a bit on testicular torsion and some doctors say that it is caused due to tight clothing. I wear skinny jeans but there's space for my genitals. But then I'm wondering about underwear because I always wear boxer briefs (sometimes they are tight) and can tight boxer briefs cause testicular torsion? And is there a way to prevent this?
Hi The bit I just read covers a few things more than you have said, but I cant see how you say you have a bit of testicular torsion, I think its either or not.
Good luck
Read on

Testicular torsion

Torsion of the testis; Testicular ischemia; Testicular twisting

Last reviewed: September 16, 2011.

Testicular torsion is the twisting of the spermatic cord, which cuts off the blood supply to the testicle and surrounding structures within the scrotum.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Some men may be predisposed to testicular torsion as a result of inadequate connective tissue within the scrotum. However, the condition can result from trauma to the scrotum, particularly if significant swelling occurs. It may also occur after strenuous exercise or may not have an obvious cause.

The condition is more common during infancy (first year of life) and at the beginning of adolescence (puberty).

Symptoms

Sudden onset of severe pain in one testicle, with or without a previous predisposing event

Swelling within one side of the scrotum (scrotal swelling)

Nausea or vomiting

Light-headedness

Additional symptoms that may be associated with this disease:

Testicle lump

Blood in the semen

Signs and tests

The doctor will perform a physical exam. This usually shows extreme tenderness and swelling in the testicle area. It is more common on the right side. The testicle on the affected side is higher.

Doppler ultrasound of the testicle can show blood flow. Blood flow will be absent if you have torsion. Most emergency rooms will have this test readily available.

Treatment

Surgery is usually required and should be performed as soon as possible after symptoms begin. If surgery is performed within 6 hours, most testicles can be saved.

During surgery, the testicle on the other (non-affected) side is usually also anchored as a preventive measure. This is because the non-affected testicle is at risk of testicular torsion in the future.

Expectations (prognosis)

If the condition is diagnosed quickly and immediately corrected, the testicle may continue to function properly. After 6 hours of torsion (impaired blood flow), the likelihood that the testicle will need to be removed increases. However, even with less than 6 hours of torsion, the testicle may lose its ability to function.

Complications

If the blood supply is cut off to the testicle for a prolonged period of time, it may atrophy (shrink) and need to be surgically removed. Atrophy of the testicle may occur days-to-months after the torsion has been corrected. Severe infection of the testicle and scrotum is also possible if the blood flow is restricted for a prolonged period.

Calling your health care provider

Go to the emergency room or call the local emergency number (such as 911) if testicular torsion symptoms occur.

Prevention

Use precautions to avoid trauma to the scrotum. Many cases are not preventable.
If you have a torsion that requires immediate surgery. You should see a urologist right away or go to the ER. I doubt it would be caused by boxers or tight pants.