Skin Cancer Community
Do I have skin cancer underneath my big toenails? Very worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to skin cancer.

I have had this problem since right before Christmas.  I have what looks like a bruise under each big toenail.  I've done some investigating on the internet and I found some pictures of subungual melanoma and there are a few that look just like mine!  My GP first did a nail biopsy (to see if it was just a fungal infection) and the tests came back negative. He doesn't know what else to do--since they were not caused by any trauma to the nails, so I am waiting to hear when I will get a referral to the podiatrist.  I'm really scared.  I saw a video on youtube on one of the ways they do a biopsy for this--I almost puked/passed out.  I'm so scared of having a biopsy done--especially the nail bed part--they say they do this under local anasthesia  but I want GENERAL anathetics.  I'm also scared because of the pain after the biopsy and I don't want them to remove the nail, because what if it doesn't grow back?  

Has anyone else been in my position?  Could you please reply and tell me about what you experienced? Thank you.
pics of both nails on homepage (twinner2)
I AM REALLY SCARED AND I HAVE POSTED MY QUESTIONS ON HERE AND NO ONE EVER ANSWERS ME.  I REALLY NEED HELP, THIS IS NOT A JOKE, PLEASE READ MY QUESTIONS THAT I HAVE POSTED

Salient feature of subungual melanoma (melanoma under nail) is categorized according to ABCDEF. In this system A stands for age (peak incidence being in the 5th to 7th decades of life and African Americans, Asians, and native Americans in whom subungual melanoma accounts for up to one third of all melanoma cases. B stands for brown to black b and with breadth of 3 mm or more and variegated borders. C stands for change in the nail band or lack of change in the nail morphology despite, presumably, adequate treatment. D stands for the digit most commonly involved; E stands for extension of the pigment onto the proximal and/or lateral nailfold (ie, Hutchinson's sign); and F stands for family or personal history of dysplastic nevus or melanoma.
Other than that a nail biopsy needs to be done to confirm the diagnosis.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.