Sleep Disorders Community
6 yr old son only poops at night time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

6 yr old son only poops at night time?

My son is going to be 6 in October and I have had this problem for about 2 years now maybe longer, but 2 yrs with only pooping at night. I will put him on the toliet before bed time and try to get him to go, but he doesn't and the next morning I come in to smell that he did it in his pants. When he does poop on the toliet or has to go through the day he will, and when he does go we do reward him and  give him things. We have taken him to a specialist for this problem, but all she told me was to give him laxatives which I have and still nothing has happened... I am getting so frustrated with this because I feel now there is nothing that I have done or can do to help him. Which scares me and my husband because he is getting to the age were he can now have sleep overs and I feel like I can't have that happen because if he poops in his sleep I don't want other kids to make  fun of him. We also tell him he needs to stop this because this could happen, but he doesn't seem to care. THere are nights I know he will have to poop  because of him farting and I'll say lets put you on the toliet so I do, but nothing and sure enough I'll start to smell it in the middle of the night... We make him clean it up we make him clean his underwear out himself. We take things aways to get nowhere. Now my 3 year old is starting to only want to poop in his pants but will pee on the toliet, Is this just a boy thing?I have called my doctor about this, but last time I talked to her I didn't get anymore.. Is there something else you can put them on besides laxatives, or something you can put on the kids to let them feel or wake up when they are about to go... Someone help me. THis is the only problem I have with my son other then that he is good. He listens at school doesn't get in trouble.. Doesn't act out..
You should not make him feel guilty.  He is not doing this on purpose, for goodness sake!  

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20090904/Solution-for-fecal-incontinence-in-children.aspx
Hi, have similar nighttime issue with my 4 year old, wondering if you found anything to help?! Thanks