Do i have sleep apnea??
I wake up gasping for air soon after i fall asleep. It usually happens on my back so I make sure i go to sleep on my side, but sometimes it still happens on my side. It happens more after singing or yelling too much during a day. Im pretty sure it is sleep apnea but i want to hear from others about what they think. I think i might go to a sleep clinic to find out for sure? This has happened for yrs. Its scary cause sometimes it takes a while to get the oxygen back through your lungs and body system. Can anyone comment on this?
I think you need a good, thorough, general physical exam.  It might not be sleep apnea per se, but some other type of cardiopulmonary issue.  Maybe you don't need a sleep medicine doctor but rather a cardiologist or a pulmonologist.  So the primary care doc would be the place to start, and then let him or her refer you to the most appropriate specialist.  Good luck.  
I would recommend you have sleep studies done; ordered by a Pulmonologist or a Neurologist that specializes in sleep disorders.

Keep us posted.