Sleep Disorders Community
Hear Sounds in Head as Falling Asleep/Jerking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I am hoping I am not alone on this. Over the past month I have been experiencing what seems like a noise or sound just as I am about to fall asleep. Like a whine or grunt. It is coming from head and it startles me and scares me awake.

I also have been experiencing jerking of my arms/legs and stomach as I start to relax, right before I fall asleep.

This is all giving me great anxiety. I have been to a Neurologist and they did an EEG, which was normal. I also had an MRI about 4 months ago, which was normal. Numerous blood work, all normal.

I am terrified I am having some sort of seizure or brain tumor..very scaring.

Any info would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

Relax. This does not sound like a brain tumor or epilepsy. These jerks that you are experiencing are called myoclonic jerks. Myoclonic jerks are sudden contractions of body muscles while falling asleep. I would advise you to cut down on your physical activity for some time. The sounds that you are hearing may also be due to excessive fatigue. I would advise you to cut down on your physical activity for some time and relax as much as you can and see if it helps.
Thank you for your quick response, I truly appreciate it. I think the sounds or noises I hear is what scares me the most. I suffer from anxiety and am premenopausal so I am not sure if that relates to it or not.

Thank you again

Yes anxiety will only compound the problem. I suggest you to start taking a mild tranquiliser in the night, that will let you have a restful sleep.
Please make a list of all the things that are causing you anxiety and how you can deal with each one of them. You can also try doing some breathing exercises during the day.Hope this helps!
I do not think the answer was acceptable if you are getting the same sounds I am. It sounds like a razor sharpening on an emery cloth a swish swish. Sometimes the sounds remind me of cicadas. I went to the ENT and he found nothing wrong, I am light headed most of the time and get the sounds sometimes just from turning my head or movement and when wide awake. It is not blood rushing through my ears, I have experienced that before and it is not the same. It is something kind of synthetic created by my brain maybe from pressure changes but not heart beats or blood flow. I relax all the time because my energy and metabolism is so low from thyroid problems. My ultrasound last week I had several nodules on both sides and a cyst.
I have popping/clicking in my head along with pressure in the top of my head and body. The pressure is other times too math 5-6 days a week. I'm 20 yrs old. When I'm falling asleep I too have jetking along with the other symptoms.