Sleep Disorders Community
Infants Irregular Breathing..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Infants Irregular Breathing..

I too have had to deal with this obstacle with my 7 month old. I am sitting here as we speak in tear at 12:03 am wondering what to do. This started around 2 months old with him sleeping on me on his belly... It was almost like he was in a VERY deep sleep. Almost like it was like a sleep walker but he was not walking he was breathing weird. Just like you explained, its almost like a hiccup or like hes dreaming. Sometimes I rub his back gently to gradually wake him and he stops... but just now it seems hes in such a deep sleep I can not wake him.
My husband wet the bed until he was around 12... due to deep sleeping, and so did my younger brother. I am concerned this is linked somehow. That my son is in such a deep sleep and along with that he is having irregular breathing. As you explained his color is normal and my Pediatrician said as long as his color is normal there is nothing to worry about... I am not satisfied with that answer at all. This is not only terrifying its upsetting. Is there any luck out there?

This discussion is related to 8 month old with strange breathing behavior during sleep.
I'm curious if your son is still having the same problem.  My son also has a very similar problem.  He makes a sound like he is gasping for air or a really really bad hiccup.   I have observed him doing it in all positions.   @18 months we had a sleep study done and he was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea.  @2 we had his tonsils and adenoids (adenoids) removed.  We saw an immediate imrpovement in his daytime breathing and behavior issues, but he still has the night episodes similar to what you describe above.  I recorded him on video and have the video posted if you wuold like to view it to see if it is teh same sound.   I showed it to our ENT and he stated it is "irregular breathing"  and he doesn't see any form of obstruction  happening in the video.  He recommended doing another sleep study but unfortuantely I don't see that telling us much since it is so sporadic.   He has not referred us to pulmonoligist but I still feel clue less.  He is now 2 years 9 months.   I woudl really like to know what are the possible causes of his "irregular breathing" and when do we become concerned.  In addition, we did put him on allergy meds (claritin) due to him him always having congestion issues and that seemed to help but also did not reduce the nighttime challenges.   I had him tested for allergies and those all came back normal, although, the ENT said those are often inaccurate for children his age.  
This very same thing happened to 2 of our boys, usually triggered by crying. They would do the gasping/breathing spasms you describe. It would go on for ours. But every doctor that checked them out said everything looked normal.

They finally outgrew it, so this might give you some peace of mind. Here is my original post where there might be some helpful information for you. My theory is that the trigger for the irregular breathing and involuntary spasms is ALLERGIES.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/Periodic-Breathing-Spasms-in-Young-Infant/show/577913