Sleep Disorders Community
Involuntary kicking right before falling asleep!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

What causes me to involuntary kick my legs right before falling asleep? It seems to happen most often when I'm feeling most exhausted before sleep.  These kicks are pretty extreme sometimes...like my legs fly into the air..

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing fine.

Your symptoms of moving your legs in sleep could be due to a sleep disorder called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD). They disrupt sleep and cause involuntary movements during sleep. The cause is not known. They can be diagnosed with a sleep study and medications help to control them. I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Paderla,

Hi! Thanks for your response.  I did a quick search on PLMD, but one thing doesn't really match up.  Im unaware of any problem while actually in a restful sleep, it's happening to me before I fall asleep.  I'm fully aware of the kicks.  I read this from Wiki:

"PLMD should not be confused with restless leg syndrome (RLS). RLS occurs while awake as well as when asleep, and when awake, there is a voluntary response to an uncomfortable feeling in the legs. PLMD on the other hand is involuntary, and the patient is often unaware of these movements altogether."

I appreciate your opinion and won't rule this out completely, but again it seems to only happen when I'm feeling most exhausted (physically stressed).  I would appreciate some more opinions.

Thanks!
Hi, I also get this.  I understood it to be restless leg syndrome.  Like you, it happens just as I'm falling asleep and it brings me wide awake.  There are medications you can take if it's particularly troublesome, best to consult a physician.  Hope you get some relief.
Does this typically only happen one a night, just as you're drifting off to sleep?  without any other symptoms?

If so, it's probably something called a hypnic (myoclonic) jerk.  They are perfectly harmless - basically think of them as a huge muscle contraction.  You probably sense them more when you are exhausted because you've been busy running around doing things and then suddenly (or suddenly to your body anyway), you're relaxing, drifting off to sleep, but perhaps all your muscles haven't quite received that message yet!

Don't worry about them unless they happen more often than once or twice at night - start happening during the day - or are accompanied by other neurological symptoms such as weakness, double vision, dizziness, etc.

Relaxing in a warm bath before bed might help if they are bothersome to you - it'll help all your muscles relax before you lay down in bed and try to sleep.

In restless leg syndrome, the movements are a LOT more often rather than only when you're drifting off to sleep.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) occurs during sleep. Another cause could be an entity called restless leg syndrome, where there is an odd sensation in the legs during sleep causing the individual to move, which relieves the sensation. These disorders can cause inadequate sleep leading to fatigue and daytime sleepiness. Other causes for leg cramps are injury, repetitive activity and dehydration. So, I would advise you to consult your primary care physician for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
I'm not quick to diagnose myself with an actual sleep disorder like RLS or PLMD, because they don't actually cause any problems for me to sleep.  That is, I don't wake up from it, and it is generally one or two dramatic swing-kicks and they stop afterward.  But, thank you all for your kind opinions and suggestions.

geminigirl, your post most resonated with my issue.  I appreciate it very much.  It's actually funny you say that, sometimes when I'm really tired I can get the sense in my body like it's ready to cross over and then this extreme kick happens that like shocks me back to the world.  But, it has never happened more than once in a night...

Thanks all! :)