Sleep Disorders Community
Peeing while sleepwalking after getting intoxicated

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Hi, last night I vaguely remember (as in, I was almost in a dream-like state) that I got up from my bed and peed near my bedroom door. This is the second time it has happened. The last time I did it I went into my hallway and peed, and that time I didn't remember doing it at all. I know there is probably a connection between me drinking the night before and the involuntary urination, but what is it?
perhaps you should try to drink less and then you will be aware of what you are doing
See now, it's not me being black out drunk that is the problem, it's me going to sleep (sometimes just buzzed) and then doing that.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Somnambulism or sleep walking as it popularly called occurs in about 15% of children. In this disorder the person is not aware of his actions. This is because of the poor development of the sleep/wake cycle. Areas of the brain that deal with mobility are active, while the areas that deal with cognition and awareness are sleeping, hence the person sleep walks. Alcohol consumption could be causing the variations in the sleep/wake cycle. I would advise you to discuss your symptoms with your primary care physician who may then refer you to a sleep specialist for further evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
This is TOTALLY a common thing!! My boyfriend does it, so many of my friends have done it. Don't worry about it. It is normally Alcohol related - Definitely check out this short film about sleep peeing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDURH16gP5w

So good!