Sleep Disorders Community
Safe to take Ambien while in fever?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Safe to take Ambien while in fever?

Hi, I'm just back from my doctor's office with a low grade fever (99.6C), mild chest pain, and tarchycardia (115bpm).  Also, I have been having flu-like symptoms for almost a week.  My doc thinks that I might have an infection in my GI tract.  My stomach cannot tolerate tylenol, so he gave me some Ambien so I can get a little better sleep while we wait for the lab results.  My body temp has been climbing since I'm back from doc visit, and I'm already feeling dizziness, palcipations, body aches from the fever.  Is it safe to take Ambien while running a fever?  Thank you for your answer.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Yes it is safe to take ambien with temperature, only ensure to take adequate fluids, as ambien is primarily eliminated through the kidneys.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the reply.  I'm still running a mild fever with headache, chills, and lower abdominal pain.  My urine culture came back positive for staph infection, but unlike UTIs I had in the past, it doesn't hurt when I urinate. I also developed sore throat and swollen gum and lymph node in the neck today.  My doc is on vacation this week. Not clear exactly what this is, I've been trying to drink lots of water to "flush" it out, but I'm still feeling miserable.  Can you spread staph bacteria within your own body from skin to bladder to throat?  time?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s unlikely that the urinary tract infection could have caused the throat infection. They may have occurred independently. Have a culture and sensitivity test done to find out the correct antibiotic that the infecting organism is sensitive to and taking this medication for the required amount of days may help to clear urinary tract infection.

The commonest pathogen (agent) causing throat infections is a group A Streptococcus bacteria. Besides this Group B Streptococcus, mycoplasma, neisseria and  cornybacterium  are known to cause throat infections. Other known pathogens causing infections of the throat are viral and yeast (candida). Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and advil for pain.

Do tepid sponging for the temperature. Take plenty of warm oral fluids and lots of rest. For further relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt water gargles and steam inhalations. Please ensure to do this prior to your meals.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.