Sleep Disorders Community
Should I go to my doctor?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Should I go to my doctor?

In the last couple of months I've been noticing that as I fall asleep, always right when I start to dream I wake up suddenly because of shortness of breath, it feels like I've slowed down breathing or have stopped breathing. It's a little concerning because it intereferes with me trying to get to sleep lately but it's not like there are any other worrying symptoms going on.

When I pay attention to my breathing while awake I do the same thing so I'm not sure if it's sleep apnea, it just doesn't bother me and give me a jolt like it does at night, in the frame of a minute my breathing will change from normal, to deep, and then extremely shallow and then I will just forget to breathe for 10 seconds. My breathing hasn't always been like this, maybe it's just stress, I really don't know if I should be concerned about it or not.

Tags: irregular breathing, Sleep Apnea, stop breathing

I have a similar experience. My sister is a nurse so I asked her if I have a heart problem or something. She said that it's sleep apnea and recommended me to have an everyday routine walking exercises. So I followed her advice and I noticed that my snoring has stopped and my sleeping hasn't been comfortable since. It's also good to incorporate some breathing exercises while walking. There are a lot of breathing techniques that you can practice on. But if the problem still persist it is always advisable to go to a professional.
It does sound like sleep apnea to me and I would suggest you make an appointment to see a sleep doctor to have a sleep study done.

I believe you will end up having to use a CPAP machine so you can finally get a good nights sleep. I hope you have the study done so you can get to feeling back to normal.
Since you've noticed a change in your breathing, even in the daytime, you should get your symptoms checked out with your doctor.  You should not "forget to breathe".

Thank you very much everyone for the answers, it was very difficult to choose best answer so I just went with the longest one, it had some good ideas I can do myself too.