Sleep Disorders Community
Should I go to my doctor?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Should I go to my doctor?

In the last couple of months I've been noticing that as I fall asleep, always right when I start to dream I wake up suddenly because of shortness of breath, it feels like I've slowed down breathing or have stopped breathing. It's a little concerning because it intereferes with me trying to get to sleep lately but it's not like there are any other worrying symptoms going on.

When I pay attention to my breathing while awake I do the same thing so I'm not sure if it's sleep apnea, it just doesn't bother me and give me a jolt like it does at night, in the frame of a minute my breathing will change from normal, to deep, and then extremely shallow and then I will just forget to breathe for 10 seconds. My breathing hasn't always been like this, maybe it's just stress, I really don't know if I should be concerned about it or not.

Tags: irregular breathing, Sleep Apnea, stop breathing
Blank
12092532_tn?1423390940

I have a similar experience. My sister is a nurse so I asked her if I have a heart problem or something. She said that it's sleep apnea and recommended me to have an everyday routine walking exercises. So I followed her advice and I noticed that my snoring has stopped and my sleeping hasn't been comfortable since. It's also good to incorporate some breathing exercises while walking. There are a lot of breathing techniques that you can practice on. But if the problem still persist it is always advisable to go to a professional.
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1780921_tn?1416842066
It does sound like sleep apnea to me and I would suggest you make an appointment to see a sleep doctor to have a sleep study done.

I believe you will end up having to use a CPAP machine so you can finally get a good nights sleep. I hope you have the study done so you can get to feeling back to normal.
Blank
11369760_tn?1417961729
Since you've noticed a change in your breathing, even in the daytime, you should get your symptoms checked out with your doctor.  You should not "forget to breathe".
Blank
12092532_tn?1423390940

I have a similar experience. My sister is a nurse so I asked her if I have a heart problem or something. She said that it's sleep apnea and recommended me to have an everyday routine walking exercises. So I followed her advice and I noticed that my snoring has stopped and my sleeping hasn't been comfortable since. It's also good to incorporate some breathing exercises while walking. There are a lot of breathing techniques that you can practice on. But if the problem still persist it is always advisable to go to a professional.
Blank
1719609_tn?1309196672
Thank you very much everyone for the answers, it was very difficult to choose best answer so I just went with the longest one, it had some good ideas I can do myself too.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Sleep Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
748543_tn?1371753642
Blank
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...