Sleep Disorders Community
Unrefreshing Sleep/Hard to Wake Up

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Unrefreshing Sleep/Hard to Wake Up

Hi!

I have some issue currently with my sleep. I am getting unrefrehsing sleep and it is really starting to affect me (daytime tiredness, short term memory loss, etc.). I sleep 10-12 hours but feel like i have sleep 2-3 hours...if that! Also, I am the worst with waking up. I sleep (literally) through 8 alarms over a period of 2-3 hours. I can't even hear them! I'm strating to become so sleepy all I want to do is...yes, sleep! I used to sleep 5 hours and be ready for a full day of school, workout, etc....now I hate getting up! I have been having problems for a few months now. I do take Nucynta ER 2x daily. I also drink relatively small amounts of caffeine (none after 2pm) during the day. (I have tried cutting it all out.) I have been diagnosed with a genetic condition (Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome) that does cause pain (if that is of any use to you). I'm 18 y/o.

Any replies are greatly appreciated!!! Thanks so much!

Nick A.
Concerning the fact that you take Nucynta, try to remember whether your symptoms started after the use of this medication. It is a well known side effect of Nucynta to cause sleepiness. If not, you should visit a sleep disorders specialist and probably hava a polysomnography to assess your sleep quality.

Hope that helped!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It could just be that you are tired and need more sleep. Just give yourself more time to sleep/rest. If the symptoms still do not resolve, then you have to get assessed for sleep disorders. Certain sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea can cause disturbed sleep and hence the need to sleep more. And others like narcolepsy can cause excessive sleepiness per say.

If it persists or is troublesome consult your doctor for assessment.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.