Wake up seeing things???
I have, on SEVERAL occasions, woke up about an hour or so after I dose off (at night) to sleep and I think I see things.  Example:  I woke up one time swearing that there was a spider on the wall.  I woke up my husband and he said there was nothing there.  I feel like I'm totally awake, eyes open, speaking clearly, everything.  I just don't understand why this happens.  Sometimes when it begins, I tell him that it's not like before and I tell him that this time I really do see something.  So...I do realize what I'm doing at the time.  Then I go right back to sleep with no problems.  It's funny when it occurs because it's become a regular thing but I know this can't be normal.  Can someone please explain why this occurs?
Hi, how are you? Well, hope you are now feeling better and has the sleep doctor assessed the sleep test. Indeed it's getting lot more interesting the discussions going great. Those hallucinations, which are usually, delusional experiences, are vivid and frequently they are frightening. The content is primarily visual, but any of the other senses can be involved. These are called hypnagogic hallucinations when accompanying sleep onset and hypnopompic hallucinations when occurring during awakening. Over exhaustion and stress has been time and again blamed as the cause. It's strange; many sufferers with sleep deprivation similarly see most of these. One needs to focus mainly on stress management and any underlying cause treatment. Take care and keep sharing your views.
its interesting that this is the round about non specific answer is what everyone is hearing , but i am not sleep deprived i get on average about 6 to 8 hours of sleep an night and once i am asleep i sleep through the night , also i dont consider myself stressed at all , i have mild concerns here and there but over all am well rested and relaxed , im not trying to argue but the doctors i have seen say there isnt anything wrong with me ,but i do agree that these are vivid delusional experiences , i just dont think the cause is something so non specific . and quit honestly the diagnoses is all over the board , narcolepsy , sleep apena , sleep onset hallucinations , stress , diet , being sleep deprived . it just doesnt make any sense to me how an affliction with super distinctive issues has such a broad spectrum of diagnoses .
First of all I would like to say that I feel a lot better just knowing that I am not alone in these experiences, and would like to give special thanks to kat2913 for suggesting it stange that we are all seeing the same things and that a specific look into this phenomenon has yet to get underway.  I would also like to thank kat2913 for going into great detail to describe what he/she has seen.  

Just before I attempted to search out such a forum I was discussing with my girlfriend of 6 years (who has had so much patience with me through this i might add) about these experiences.  By this point she just sleeps through them most of the time...but a few months back I had the vision kat2913 describes as the electricity ball from science class.  In the left corner of my room, a strange irradescent energy ball (mostly yellow and purple in color) was hovering above the ground appx 6 feet in the air, with wild arms of electricity like energy waving wildly.  Upon reading kat2913's description Im convinced there is something more to this, and am flowing with energy now determined to know more.

Along with the many others on this board I too see people in front of me and at the side of the bed.  Ive seen (only once) a spider dangling down upon me from the ceiling fan.  Ive seen dark shadows of people (usually what I would describe as men) and women in long flowing light colored garb with long hair at the front of my bed.  Ive seen brigh intense lights, like funnels, almost blinding my vision then fading into thin air.  

My feelings when these things happen are usually all the same now.  Its like I anticipate them, and when it happens I do my best to focus as intensely as possible, like kat2913 says, to ponder them.  Of course this is harder to do when it is a person, or shadow of a person. And have awoken to a person above me staring in my face.  But seems lately, it is more likely to be an energy funnel, or a light of some sort.  I find it truly intensely amazing that in the middle of a pitch black room, light as bright as I have seen has shown itself.  Its a different kind of light though...it doesnt light up the room around it, its strangely of itself and contained within itself.  

Time wise, these experiences like kat2914 usually last a short period of time...5 seconds is normal, with about 7 to 10 seconds for the longest lasting episodes...then fading into nothing.  Its not like I close my eyes and reopen them and the object is gone.  Its like, I stare stare stare, and they eventually fade away.  

Kat2913, do you mind me asking when you saw the electricity ball image?  It would be strange if there was a time correlation between our experiences.  

Just for the record.  I too am an extrmely healthy person.  I eat a balanced diet, take vitamin supplements, sleep 8 hours, take a 1hr nap after work, and dont feel overly stressed.  And when these things happen I am not groggy or half-asleep, its like im in dead sleep to wide awake in a matter of 1/2 a second...just amazing.

Also a thought:  would anybody be willing to contact George Noory about these experiences, or know if he has done a show on this reality.  Noory could be a great way to network others with the same experiences, and people who may be in the process of studying this phenomenon.  
I am so glad to hear that I am not alone. I too, for the past 8 years have experienced seeing things upon waking. The things that I see, I often describe as a "screen saver"...you know the screen saver that revolves and changes shape and size, and it looks like a scrambled ball of electricity? Well, anyway, usually within an hour of falling asleep, my eyes will open and I see this black, scrambled "thing". I see it as clear as day! It usually moves across the ceiling or appears to be reaching for my face. BUT, as soon as I blink or pull the covers over my face and look back, ITS GONE! It used to frighten me, I thought my house was haunted, but then I began to see it where ever I stayed the night! Just recently the image has changed. I used to always see the black scrambled ball, but now, I often see what looks like white and gray cigarette smoke. It just swirls and twirls, inches from my face...until I blink!

One theory I had was that maybe my eyelashes were sticking together. That was just not the case.
Also, a year or so after the halucinations started, I have also began to expereince what I believe is sleep paralysis.  Just shortly after I fall asleep, usually when I am on the couch napping during the day, I will open my eyes, and thats ALL I CAN DO! I can move, I can't speak, and I begin to scream for help in my head, but nothing comes out! I can look around the room, I can pay attention to a tv show if the tv is on, and I try to use all the strength in my body to move an arm or leg but NOTHING!

Sometimes if I try hard enough, I can get my thumb nail to scratch my index finger and the pain will jolt me out of it. It's just so scary because I'm still breathing at a reduced sleep rate, and I try to take a deep breath but I can't!!! When I finally "wake up", I decide that I am NEVER going to sleep again!

Does anyone think that these two disorders could be related, or possibly combined to make on disorder?

I see things at night, and I often wake up paralyzed....when either of these occur, I am FULLY coherent and aware!

I am jealous of ppl that actually sleep through the night. During a 7-8 hr night, I will wake up around 5-6 times. My fear is that, if I went for a sleep study, I would pay tons of money, and nothing would happen! I'll have an unevetful night, and they will say I'm fine, then I'll go home and it will start all over.

I am amazed at how many people experience the same "craziness" as I do. I have had this since I was young. I remember being 6 and lying in bed petrified because I saw several people standing in my corner of my room. It has continued on and became worse when I was 24, I am 28 now. I actually had a night (at 24) where I couldnt lift my body and it sounded like a freight train in my room for several seconds. I too fall asleep as soon as it is over. I feel crazy. My Husband is such a heavy sleeper he doesnt remember when I ask him about the squirrel/spider/smoke/person,especially creepy old woman with child, I had woke him up to see.  Its so surreal to read that you all use the same line as I do "This time its for reals...." etc.
The other night was the most intense, I saw a figure hunched over my dresser (the room was pitch black) I stood up calmly and approached it. I reached out and touch the form it shrinked back from my hand and then dissapeared. It was too real. I always fight back physically such as pillow throwing, and cursing etc. I am afraid of hurting my 2 year old son. I attacked my younger sister and dog when I was in High School. The crazy thing is I rarely saw anything when I was pregnant (less frequent is a better phrase). As much as I want to explain it away as visions or supernatural I really feel something is wrong with me and I need help. I'm going to get in contact with a Sleep Specialist. Its funny I just told my husband and read him some of your comments, he laughed and said we should all get together and have a summer camp....wouldnt that be interesting!!!? If anyone has had any luck please let us know!!! Sweet Dreams to all........
Thank goodness I'm not insane!  I don't know when it all started but I can't remember a time that I haven't had some sort of sleep issue. I go through periods of not sleeping at all and never being tired to sleeping all the time and never being NOT tired to waking nightly and seeing very odd but sometimes not odd things.  Remember the movie "Sixth Sense"  the famous quote was "I see dead people".  I thought that was me a couple of times but lately, it all revolves around things outside of my house.  I wake up, peek out the blinds and see or don't see things.  My son came in my room looking for a movie and I started yelling at him about not going on the sidewalk....very odd, BUT I KNEW I WAS DOING IT AND KNEW IT WAS ODD BUT COULDN'T STOP IT.  He said "ok" and walked out of my room.  I followed him and yelled "do you hear me" and he answered but I really scared him.  He told me the next day that he was worried about me.  I have an aunt who is diagnosed bi-polar and has been on meds for 40 years.  I'm worried that I may have a less severe case.  Emotional stress is middle name.  It's not stress caused by anyone but myself.  The last doctor I saw agreed that it was strange and suggessted a mild over the counter sleep aid.....it did nothing.  In fact, I couldn't fall asleep at all.  We've recently relocated to a new state so, I'm looking for a doctor.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Behavioral or psychological?  Good to know I'm not going completely stark raving mad......

These visual hallucinations could be a part of sleep paralysis which is characterizes by temporary skeletal muscle paralysis and hallucinations. A sleep study will be diagnostic.
Ive started suffering from this over the last few months.  Im 24, have a very healthy lifestyle, gym 4 times a week, eat well, have a good 8 hours sleep and do not suffer from stress.  It started every few weeks but now its happening every night!  Its really starting to make me tired during the day because of waking in the night and also, every time, im waking my partner up to show him what I see.  I started patting him down one night because i thought there was a huge spider on him, then I saw a balloon float into the room and all around the room, im contantly seeing changing shapes and orb like balls floating across me and ive even seen a man at the end of the bed.  Im of course scaring my partner to death every time i wake him, especially when i told him there was a man in the room, ha!  Im also singing and talking quite a bit.  What i dont understand is where and why this has all of a sudden started!  I find it quite fascinating really and im not scared at the time and i go back to sleep with no problems at all.  Has anyone been diagnosed of this type of thing?  Would really like to know what has changed that has started this?
Wow I totally thought I was crazy for having this happen to me. I've always had really vivid dreams but the spring of my sophomore year of high school (I'm about to be a sophomore in college), I remember waking up and seeing fog all in my room coming up over me and I closed my eyes and when I opened them, it was gone. A few months later, I remember having a very restless night of sleep and seeing a dark figure of a man in my closet. I ran into my parent's room and told them very calmly that there was a man in my closet. They didn't call me crazy or anything. I'm pretty sure they thought I was sleep walking. But I remember it very clearly and I also remember feeling very stupid for waking my parents up over it.

The next few occurances I've had have been seeing moving patterns on my wall coming out of my poster or seeing a little boy by my night stand or just random objects moving around on my walls. It went from scary to just plain annoying because I knew they weren't real. All I'd have to do is close my eyes and they'd go away. These "night terrors" as I've come to call them only happened to me 2 times in the entire year I was away at college for my freshman year. The first thing that happened was around Halloween. I looked over at my closet and thought that these two boys that lived in the dorm next door to me were sitting on the top shelf of my closet. My roommate was gone THANK GOD because I literally remember yelling at them to get out of my closet (I'd been pissed at them earlier in the night for being drunk and making a scene in my room) but then I blinked and they were gone. The next time I had one was in April. I woke up and just seemingly instinctively looked over the edge of my lofted bed to see someone sitting at my desk. I closed my eyes and looked back over AND IT WAS STILL THERE! It took a good 15 minutes for the image to fade and I was almost paralyzed with fear even though my roommate was asleep in her bed and I could have yelled for help had it been real. But then I blinked for a final time and it was gone. That was by far the scariest because it was a very scary looking man just sitting at my desk staring straight ahead. NOT COOL!

I've read some of your posts saying that it's stress related but I've only noticed it happening when I'm NOT stressed. Like right now I'm stressed beyond belief and it hasn't happened to me all summer and I've been stressed all summer. And when it first started for me in the spring of my sophomore year of high school, I had just come off a very stressful period in my life and things were actually quite mellow for me and not stressful. So I don't even know. But I wanted to share my experience!
Hello to all,

First let me start out by saying I am not crazy in anyway. I know what I see at night, and I know that I am NOT sleeping. I have been to many many doctors trying to find out why I see what I do, and all of them say the same thing "your perfectly healthy".

I am 24 years old and have been seeing things sense I can remember. I am extremely athletic and 100% stress free. I love everything about my life with the exception of bedtime. I completely understand those of you who say that it can't be anything medically wrong with us.

Examples of what I see:
children
mobile shadows in all four corners
snakes
elderly women
spiders
and many many more

For those of you who cant find a cure for whatever we are cursed with, I wish you the best of luck and a light in arms reach.
I am researching for a friend of mine.  She awakens in the night and sees pictures that appear to be projected on the wall.  She sees bright lights shining in her window (no matter how many sheets/curtains she hangs).  She sees little red and blue piercing lights outside.  She has also seen people - men in white tee shirts.  She believes that a "gang" is terrorizing her.  This has been going on for 3 years and she is too terrified to live alone (I don't blame her).  However, anywhere she stays, she says they follow her and continue to shine lights in her room.  She believes they can see everything in her room using these high-powered lights.  She has never seen these men "in" her room and she has not mentioned seeing spiders on the wall or anything, but I was wondering if anyone has seen the things she has seen?  The only reason I think it could possibly be a hallucination of sorts is because it has been going on for so long!  What gang would continue this for so long and never take it any further?  She is in her fifties, not a crazy person - she only takes medication for hypertension (or high blood pressure).  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Would love to hear all about it.  Thank you.
I am glad that I am not alone!!! Its a joke in my family now. A few months back I woke up terrified, saying its him, its him, and my boyfriend kept asking me who i was seeing, i just kept on repeating it, and then went on to grip him so tightly, i drew blood. he has scars today. I too see these balloons and sometimes inverted cones on the ceiling (funnels). I cant go to sleep on my own, I need someone next to me.
Hi Mkatt, how are you, since when have you been suffering from this kind episodes? Have you been under care of a neurophysician or a sleep specialist? Stress is one of the most important factors in triggering the episode apart from the sleep deprivation. Try to change place ad sleeping position (avoid sleeping supine), and better to sleep early. Avoid - alcohol at night with smoking, caffeine, too spicy bulky meal and going to bed late night. Exercise and meditation can be helpful. Alprazolam before sleep can be tried. Get your stress level assessed and proper care at a stress management. Consult a sleep specialist and get a sleep study done. Please keep updated on progress.
Hi Guys

This has been happening to me for a while now and last night it happened again for the first night in a while. Last night i was up about four times seeing things round the room mostly a little dragon type thing under my pillow after flinging my pillows around the room for about 10 seconds i settle back down to sleep. I have also woke up to spiders in different places around the room and a huge spiders web on my wall. At least i know im not alone.
Dear Suri 123,

Incidents of sudenly waking up to find myself running away from my bed have happened from 6 years ago, but were not often, maybe 2 episodes a year. 'Seeing things" episodes have just begun over the last 2 years. And have gotten worse now. I was stressed a year and half ago, but in fact am much more at ease now and it seems to have increased. No i havent seen a sleep therapist, should probably now. Dont want to take medication. But yes what puzzles me is that we are seing similar shapes!!!! Thanks for your input!!
im now 20 years old and i have been seeing things in my sleep for as long as i can remember. i am engaged and living with my fiance and suggests i see a sleep therapist now. i dont see bugs or snakes i see people or weird objects. example last night i saw a pole attached to our dvd collection and our window. or friends of mine sitting around the room. at first it was kind of funny, it was always a joke among my friends but now its starting to affect my life. im surprised that there are other people who know what im talking about. i have been looking for awhile to find some information on this...problem.
I am so happy I am not alone. I too "see things". I can be sleeping, then i can feel myself wakening (not due to any unusual feelings or anxiety, just merely due to the fact i want to turn around/move or get comfy again) and there they are... people as clear as day in my room! there can be a few or just one person. Sometimes they are facing me sometimes they are looking out the window or looking at things in my room.  That is it though i only see people: men, women & children. Never spiders etc like you all to have in common..

i am only 21 and have had sleep paralysis since i was about 14 (which at its peak was very severe - i was wakening up to not being able to breath or move at least 7-8 times a night), although in the past 2/3 years i have not been getting this very often at all. My sleep paralysis was blamed on stress.. at 14!? If this is the case iv been stressed constantly for the past 7 years without a break!

As for seeing these people, its never normally the same - one little boy has appeared often and iv had a man with really white shoes appear twice within a week or so but generally its never the same people.

I remeber one clear episode when i was staying at my boyfriend's house. I woke up to a man (in 18th century clothing might i add) standing over my boyfriend. He wasn't doing anything but i had this horrific feeling that he was going to hurt my boyfriend. I was terrified, i hid under the covers knowing this couldnt be happening but when i looked out he was still there, looking directly at me. I hid under the covers again and tried to wake my boyfriend up but he merely hugged me in and fell back asleep!! I kept myself under the covers for what felt like forever but must have only been 5-7mins (until i got too hot under there) and when i looked out he was gone.I didnt get back to sleep for shaking with utter fear but could barely move for the next hour still physically terrified of this man.

This was unusual, most of the time these people dont bother me, i do get frightened but it happens so often that now i just leave them to it and go back to sleep because i know they cant be real.

What i dont understand though is how there is so many people coming away with the same thing yet can no-one tell us what this is!? I know if i went to a sleep study id have a "people" free night and look like a complete idiot! But at the same time, this is getting really old and its beginning to effect my day-to-day life as i am beginning to feel tired from wakening up 3/4 times a night. I really want answers and possibly help as to how to beat this and get a good nights sleep without waking up to strangers in the room. Anyone have an answer for someone who sees nothing but people!?
since i was kid i had this prob i understand and sympathise with u,most nights i have disturbed sleep seing insects,ive even had spaghetti coming from the ceiling,its so embarrasing,only the other day i had to check my cupboard having thought there was a spider on it the light went on and i even reassured my sleeping husband!!!!at times i have been seing my mother who died in 1987,when i am awoken i am fully awake i can hold full conversations and am sure i would be able to run down the stairs although i wont risk that!!im thinking to try some herbal remedies and if no luck will go for help,its alarming for my husband,when i sleep at familys house .there was a man at the bedroom door the other day,i see many things!!!!help and support needed for all of us!!
I am glad to have found this forum.. Its 2 am and Im sitting in bed with the lamp on. I was trying to go to sleep and when I opened my eyes I got dizzy and felt a presence of people in the room with me (dark shapes). I tried to go back to sleep and just really felt like there was something in the room so I turned the light on. I am too scared to go back to sleep now, knowing it will just happen again.
I used to have visions when I was younger, almost nightly. Alot of times I would see bright shapes, people in the room, dark "clouds" in the corners of my room. One night I swear i saw an "alien" like figure standing in my closet with the light on, I closed my eyes and when I opened them he was standing next to my bed, I closed me eyes and pulled all over the covers over me until I was profusely sweating and I swear I could feel him touching me. I am still haunted by this event to this day and It must have happened over 10 years ago. I remember when I woke up in the morning my closet was open and the light was on. STRANGE huh?
I am healthy, I would like to think that Im not crazy, and I would love to figure out whats going on!
Some other info: Every night that I sleep I have extremely vivid, very intense dreams that seem to last days. After waking up I can usually remember the whole dream as if it was a story or movie. Most of the time my dreams consist of me running away from someone, a group of people, or an animal.
Anyways, I feel like im rambling so Ill stop. Hopefully someone can come to this forum with some insight of what is going on!
I have had this problem. I have woken thinking there is a spider dangling down towards me on my bed, i get up and put the light on but there is nothing there. Yesterday night was weird though, i got woken up by my dad making a noise and i saw a clothes hanger move across my room. I felt totally awake and grabbed my phone to light it up but there was nothing there? Bottom line is though, I wake up and see things but i find after a few seconds nothing has actually happened or been there?

I have had sleep paralysis before so i wondered if it could be linked to that in some way?