Sleep Disorders Community
Waking Every Two Hours

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Waking Every Two Hours

I am 15 years old and have had a sleeping problem for a while now. Every night, I wake up almost exactly every two hours for the entire night. I was wondering any suggestions or solutions to this problem. And also what might be the cause.

The solution will depend on the answers you provide to the following questions:

1.How long have you been having this problem?
2.Do you think something precipitated it ( stress etc)?
3.Do you also have difficulty falling asleep?
4. Do you smoke? drink alcohol?take drugs?
This could be caused by a few different things such as depression, anxiety or even sleep apnea.  I would definitely consult a physician.  Getting treatment will definitely help you feel better all around.
I had the same problem and it started when I was a teenager. I didn't realize until my boyfriend told me (as an adult) that my body was twitching in my sleep, which was, in turn, waking me up every hour or so. I went to my doc and he diagnosed me with restless leg syndrome. Now I take medication and I sleep through the night. You could be having the same problem.

You can try taking an anxiolytic at night after consultation with your physician. Also i hope you lead a physically active life and are getting sufficient exercise each day.
I went through the same thing about 3 years ago and am going through it again. I still don't know what is causing it. It is not sleep apnea because I was already diagnosed with it and I use a CPAP machine. I do know that when I went to the sleep lab they recorded me waking up every 2 hours and they said I was unable to get into REM sleep which is your deep sleep. I take Imovane in the evenings about 1 hour before I want to go to sleep and I am so tired I nod off before I even get to bed. I managed to get over it before and I will try it again. The sleep specialist had me taking melatonin at the same time every night. Then in the morning I had to use a "daylight" lamp to simulate daytime for about 20 minutes. No napping in the daytime and no drinking coffee or cola products. I will let you know if it works again. Unfortunately, my sleep doctor has left town and I don't think we have another one here yet. Bye for now. I do know how frustrating it can be. I went through it for 10 months and I started nodding off everywhere because I was sleep deprived. I couldn't even drive a car. Really scary stuff. Back to you later.
I am in the same boat.  It is getting real old.  But, i find myself taking 2 to 4 lunesta or ambien cr a night.  I know this is not good.  But, neither is no sleep.
Can you tell me what Imovane is.  I am going in to my doc next week and i need a different med.  I also take 5 mg. of melatonin a night and we do have a light box.  Which i have not been faithful to use.  thanks for any imput. TJacl
I looked it up and it s only available in Canada. So that is out.  I am thinking of restoril.  I have got to get some real sleep. thanks. TJack
for a year or so
i need help im sleep deprived i go to sleep tired and sleepy but i wake up 2hours later and i have to urinate and i go back to sleep and wake up again 2 hours later to urinate and it goes on and on before i go to work i have to take a nap and i wake up tired dont know what the problem is i work nights. by the way i do take cholesterol pills and have one kidney and im 57 years old.
It depends on if you're usually a night owl on the weekends. You're a teenager so you might be experiencing the effects of Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. Lucky! If you're not tired at night when you lay down, then don't try to force yourself to go to sleep until you are.
I am 60 years old and have the same problem.  I can't find any information specific to waking up every two hours.  But I wake up EVERY TWO HOURS EVERY NIGHT.  Seriously you could set you clock to my nighttime schedule.  I go to bed at 9pm, I wake up, look at the clock, it is 11pm.  I go to the bathroom and urinate, go back to bed, fall asleep within five minutes.  I wake up, look at the clock, and it is 1 am.  Every two hours.  It doesn't matter if I go to bed at 11 instead of 9, doesn't matter what medications I take, how much or little stress I'm under, if it s a workday or a weekend, it never changes.  I've always had an overactive bladder and always had to get up once a night, but not every two hours, like clockwork, like it is now.  This has been happening for about 5 years.  I had a sleep apnea test about 5 years ago and they said I had "Mild sleep apnea" but I simply cannot stand the CPAP machine and I don't think sleep apnea is making me wake up every two hours.  I have a benign tumor in my left adrenal gland that is not growing and not big enough to require surgery, plus it is not causing any problems (or so the doctors say) and I've been tested for adrenal gland diseases and do not have any of them.  Waking up is one thing, but why is it every two hours?
I have the same problem, I am 69 years old and have had a sleeping problem most of my adult life...now I am worried this might be a serious condition but am too afraid to seek medical help. Would love some suggestions about anyone else who might shed light on what could be causing this.  I take an Ativan every evening before going to bed, also sometimes during the day..could this be a contributing factor
Same problem but it did not start seriously until I retired 7 months ago. I am 65 and have always had difficulty falling asleep. I also have the classic ADD Night Owl symptoms of starting to wake up about 11:00 PM. I have several cousins who suffer similar Night Owl issues and it stretches back to at least my grandmother on my mother's side. Long line of ADD. I cannot find a pattern to my sleep/falling asleep issues. Every night it is different. Nothing works consistently. Melatonin will work one night and then not the next. Ditto, Valerian Root, Chamomile tea, watching tv/not watching tv, playing solitaire, reading. Each of these has worked to get me to sleep but rarely for more than a couple nights in a row. The Melatonin helped me sleep through the 2 hour restless phase for a while but doesn't work now. I can fall asleep at almost any time during certain phases of the day. Physical labor or exercise works best but it can also backfire by making me hyper like an adrenaline rush. The problem is serious now.
I have been diagnosed with Central Sleep Apnea and have this problem as well. I attribute it to the fact that with Central Apnea the brain doesn't always send the signals regularly to your body to breathe. Then what happens is that your body doesn't get enough oxygenation and so then it stimulates the brain to wake you up so that you can breathe. This generally happens when you start to go to REM sleep and so it keeps you from getting into the REM sleep. Your sleep cycles every 90 minutes from light to heavy sleep and that is why it happens about every 2 hours. I, too, cannot handle the CPAP machine and the one that I would need is too expensive for me.
I am taking Melatonin, Temazepam and an herbal sleep supplement all to no avail. I am so frustrated and exhausted!