Sleep Disorders Community
Waking Every Two Hours

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Waking Every Two Hours

I am 15 years old and have had a sleeping problem for a while now. Every night, I wake up almost exactly every two hours for the entire night. I was wondering any suggestions or solutions to this problem. And also what might be the cause.

The solution will depend on the answers you provide to the following questions:

1.How long have you been having this problem?
2.Do you think something precipitated it ( stress etc)?
3.Do you also have difficulty falling asleep?
4. Do you smoke? drink alcohol?take drugs?
This could be caused by a few different things such as depression, anxiety or even sleep apnea.  I would definitely consult a physician.  Getting treatment will definitely help you feel better all around.
I had the same problem and it started when I was a teenager. I didn't realize until my boyfriend told me (as an adult) that my body was twitching in my sleep, which was, in turn, waking me up every hour or so. I went to my doc and he diagnosed me with restless leg syndrome. Now I take medication and I sleep through the night. You could be having the same problem.

You can try taking an anxiolytic at night after consultation with your physician. Also i hope you lead a physically active life and are getting sufficient exercise each day.
I went through the same thing about 3 years ago and am going through it again. I still don't know what is causing it. It is not sleep apnea because I was already diagnosed with it and I use a CPAP machine. I do know that when I went to the sleep lab they recorded me waking up every 2 hours and they said I was unable to get into REM sleep which is your deep sleep. I take Imovane in the evenings about 1 hour before I want to go to sleep and I am so tired I nod off before I even get to bed. I managed to get over it before and I will try it again. The sleep specialist had me taking melatonin at the same time every night. Then in the morning I had to use a "daylight" lamp to simulate daytime for about 20 minutes. No napping in the daytime and no drinking coffee or cola products. I will let you know if it works again. Unfortunately, my sleep doctor has left town and I don't think we have another one here yet. Bye for now. I do know how frustrating it can be. I went through it for 10 months and I started nodding off everywhere because I was sleep deprived. I couldn't even drive a car. Really scary stuff. Back to you later.
I am in the same boat.  It is getting real old.  But, i find myself taking 2 to 4 lunesta or ambien cr a night.  I know this is not good.  But, neither is no sleep.
Can you tell me what Imovane is.  I am going in to my doc next week and i need a different med.  I also take 5 mg. of melatonin a night and we do have a light box.  Which i have not been faithful to use.  thanks for any imput. TJacl
I looked it up and it s only available in Canada. So that is out.  I am thinking of restoril.  I have got to get some real sleep. thanks. TJack
for a year or so
i need help im sleep deprived i go to sleep tired and sleepy but i wake up 2hours later and i have to urinate and i go back to sleep and wake up again 2 hours later to urinate and it goes on and on before i go to work i have to take a nap and i wake up tired dont know what the problem is i work nights. by the way i do take cholesterol pills and have one kidney and im 57 years old.
It depends on if you're usually a night owl on the weekends. You're a teenager so you might be experiencing the effects of Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder. Lucky! If you're not tired at night when you lay down, then don't try to force yourself to go to sleep until you are.