Sleep Disorders Community
Waking up feeling like I can't breath or that I'm dying in my...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

Waking up feeling like I can't breath or that I'm dying in my sleep!

I was wondering if I'm the only one who has had this problem.  Basically, soon after I fall asleep... anywhere from right after I doze off up until 1-2 hours I will wake up in a daze feeling as if my lungs are tight and I can't move any air until after I wake up fully.  

This will happen almost every night for a while, and then it will go away completely and won't happen at all for months at a time, only to start up again happening almost every night after many months have gone by.  

I had a sleep test done in the hospital and nothing happened that night but I was told that my test was normal and I don't even have sleep apnea.
Another thing is, this virtually always happens soon after I fall asleep... like I said maybe 5 mins up to an hour or 2 after...but basically never past then.
Hi, welcome to the forum, proper breathing is affected by a number of different factors. If you add tight fitting clothes, then this can aggravate your problem. Your chest and abdomen needs room to expand when you breathe. Tight fitting clothes can hinder efficient breathing to some degree. Use loose cotton clothes in night.

Obstructive sleep apnea is the condition in which person suffers from breathing difficulty in sleep. Some causes are central alveolar hypoventilation syndrome and person
Experience a breathing impairment related to abnormally low arterial oxygen levels. Also if Hb level is reduced amount of oxygen carrying capacity is reduced.

Also you need to reduce weight if you are overweight which the common cause for such disorders. I suggest you to consult physician and undergo lung functioning test, Hb level etc. Take care and regards.
It can be related to stress as well.

I wake up during the night (usually 1-2 hours after I fall
to bed as well) with a feeling that I can't breathe, but
accompanied with a heartbeat that start accelarating and
sweating, it lasts for a few secs (sometimes longer if I start
making negative thoughts) and it goes away. I have noticed it
happens more ofthen when that particualr day or the period has
been stressful.

That Dr may only.be half right because the same thing happens to me bit I got.mine checked out yes anxiety has a lot to do with it..bit it's really a form of night terrors
On a typical night night terrors happen between 1 to 2 hours after you first fall asleep..I do a lot of.reading.on that to
Don't.take my.word for it type it.into your search engine like.Google and type in symptoms.of night terrors and then talk to your doctor
It happens to me from time to time, I wake up and feel like I have to fight and actively try to breathe.