Sleep Disorders Community
apnea problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

apnea problem

I have had neck surgery in the past..  I have plates, screws and donor bones in my neck... I'm having a problem now with sleep apnea...  could they be related ??
I suppose it could have an effect, but not as in negligence.  But while there is healing and swelling is there after surgery, the voice can be hoarse due to pressure on the throat.  Over time, swelling goes down and that improves.  But since the neck is fused, perhaps there is muscle atrophy from decreased motion, and the atrophied muscles might allow a bit more collapse of the windpipe than normal when lying down.  That's just speculation.  
Not concerned about blame, just cause.  Surgery is old and apnea apears to be getting worse.  Would treatment be the same?  If due to atrophie of muscles from surgery, which is expected some I guess, or just age?  Is the treatment still to take care of apnea with CPAP or would something else be needed ??
Have you undergone a sleep study?  How is the apnea diagnosed?

I had an overnight recording Oximeter test a week or so back. It measures and records blood oxygen saturation (best of over 95%) and HR.  That resulted in a consultation with a Pulmonary Doctor who said there appears, visual inspection, to be a slight restriction i n my throat that could cause obstructive sleep apnea.  I will undergo a full sleep study on the 17th.  

The CPAP and supplemental oxygen (no mask must supplementary oxygen feed into the nostrils.   Here's the problem with that, I also suffer from chronic nasal congestion.  

In my case the problem is not due to any neck surgery, rather for age and over weight, I'm told.  The strict modern standards even rate me as marginally obese - ouch, I think just 25 pounds overweight on a 6' 6" frame, geee....   But I'd be happy to knuckle-down and lose 25 pounds if it would spare me a CPAP device to sleep with.  My other problem is age... everything is wearing out.