Sleep Disorders Community
central sleep apnea or what?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

central sleep apnea or what?

I have been haveing this thing where as im just falling asleep or sometimes throughout the night where i will wake up and feel like i havent been breathing, it use to jolt me out of my sleep but now im so use to it i just wake up and start breathing again and go back to sleep, i do not feel like there is any obstruction and there is no snoring, it just simply feels like my brain forgot to tell me to breathe, on nigts this happens i feel tired,fatigued and dizzy the next day.
I do suffer from anxiety issues and i have been in eposodic afib twice in my life with no heart issues whatsoever.
I do not know how to approach my doc with this because i dont want to be disregarded as it being my anxiety issues, at this point i dont know whether or not the anxiety is causing this or this is causing the anxiety, i am afraid when this happens that im not going to wake up and start breathing again.please some one give me some answers/ it is not an every night occurance (at least it dosent wake me every night) it is very eposodic.
   Hi ask your Doctor for a Sleep Study for sleep apnea. that can tell you what is going on with your Breathing (ect) Take care..........Bob
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Considering your symptoms of wakefulness after sleep without any evidence of chest pain, cough or numbness, it is most likely that you may be having Obstructive Sleep Apnea. When a person sleeps the airways are usually patent allowing normal passage for air entry. The upper airway that is at the region of the tongue and the soft palate is the most compliant (soft) part. So, this is liable to collapse and cause airway obstruction.

This period of non entry of air is called ‘Apnea’ and the waking up is called an ‘Arousal’. This keeps alternating and the person may not actually wake up all the time, but these repeated arousals can disturb the sleep architecture and cause fatigue, headaches and daytime sleepiness. These people are also more prone for Hypertension.

I would advise you to consult a sleep specialist who would assess with first a sleep questionnaire, and then he may ask for a polysomnogram, which is an overnight sleep study as this helps to detect the apneas.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.