involuntary arm/hand movement during sleep
This situations seems to come and go, and is currently back (the past two nights). While sleeping, my left hand picks at my lips. This often wakes up my wife as well as myself because of the constant movement. It has gotten so bad that I've even tried to restrain my arm so my hand can't reach my face. I have found that my right hand will then try to pick my lips. So, this suggests a neurological issue. Does anyone else have experience with this?
Hi, I'm sorry, the first response comes years later.
I've been searching for an answer to this issue for a while.
I've actually almost the same symptomes that you have.
While sleeping, I sway my both hands in the air, I crack my fingers, I do also touch my chest with the right hand and my eyes with the left one. It doesn't bother myself as much as it does affect the quality of sleeping of the person I sleep with. I've tried to attach my hands so i couldn't put them in air but I couldn't sleep well until I set them free.
I know, that my father sleeps with one hand up in the air as well, but he doesn't make any moves with. So I can suppose that it's genetical sleep disorder. Did you find any response since all that time?
Thank you
I have similar problems when sleeping. I constantly sway my hands up and down my face which wakes me up frequently and at times my wife.

And Hi to everyone else in this post.
I also make involuntary movements while sleeping.
Every time I turn in bed, my mother observed me scratching my face with both hands--I've been like this since I was little--I'm 21 now and I'm still doing the same movements. We didn't "solve" the scratching but I wear gloves while sleeping so I don't damage my skin.

I think this is genetic--my father does the same thing! Every time he turns in bed, he rubs his face vigorously on his pillow.

My friend meanwhile scratches her boobs vigorously every time she turns in her bed.

I've done a bit of research---it seems that our symptoms do not fall under sleep disorders like Restless Leg Syndrome and Periodic Limb Movement Disorder because they are characterized by "jerky rhythmic movements" and interferes with the sleep cycle of the person.

I and my dad never had our sleep interrupted even while doing these movements.

I would advise--wear gloves if it bothers you or oven mittens.
If the movements severely interferes with your sleep, it's time to consult your doctor about it.
My boyfriend also moves his hands and fingers in small motions around his face while he sleeps, sometimes petting his eyelid or slowly sweeping round his forehead. I wonder if it's related to sleep paralysis?
This answer to this is actually that you need more sexual contact. You do this because your body isn't  producing enough sperm and your arms spazz out while you don't control it
I do not produce sperm, I am a woman. Haha! Do I need to have more sex? I noticed that I completely lifted my right arm in a quick jerk motion. It scared me and going to keep an eye on it. I do know that the cartilage between the discs in my neck are worn low and suspect the arm jerk motion during sleep might be related and due to a neurological problem.