Sleep Disorders Community
random creepy images pop into my head before falling asleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I didn't think of asking about this experience on a forum until my friend suggested that I should today...

I'm 20 years old now. Ever since I was 12, I've had this interesting phenomenon that happens to me every night when I'm trying to fall asleep where a series of completely random images will flash through my head, one after another. I have no idea where they come from and they have no relations whatsoever to my previous thoughts or the image that was right before it. When I was younger, the images were more pure and beautiful, usually of animals and creatures... like random paintings that could possibly be a work of art. I used to even take them as inspiration (I'm an artist majoring in animation). But in the past couple years, the images are generally creepy, disturbing, or downright horrifying to the point where it may freak me out and keep me from falling asleep...

Note that this happens while I'm still actually fully awake. It's as if I'm already dreaming while I'm awake. It even happens when I'm still chatting with my roommate at night while we're laying around in bed (and then I proceed to describe to her the images I'm getting and freak her out too LOL)

Is anyone aware of what this is and why it happens? Is this an existing phenomenon?

I don't drink, do drugs, or any of that.
Wow.  I thought I was the only one that had that problem.  But my images are always scary.  Even when I was a child I would get them and take of running to my mom and dad's room.  But they found out when I was in the 2nd grade I had an axiety disorder.  But I have never told anyone about this.  I was affaird people would think I was possesed by the devil.  But now I think it's mental illness.  I developed more problems as I got older by I still never spoke about the images in my head. I think there is a part of our brain that is messed up somehow and that's what happens.  I actually see my therapist today and I'm going to tell her because I've been seeing her for a long time and I don't think it would freak her out.  I'll let you know what she says if you're intrested.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The studies being done on dreams are still abstract. A lot of studies are going on to study the importance of REM sleep, which is the dream phase of sleep. It is believed that the subconscious thoughts or images are known to surface in sleep. This could reflect in your dreams.

But there is an entity called hypnagogic hallucinations, which are hallucinations which occur between sleep and awakening. This is the symptom of a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. This sleep disorder is characterized by excessive daytime sleepiness, sleep paralysis, cataplexy where the person has episodes of loss of muscle function while awake, hypnagogic hallucinations and automatic behavior.

Just cautioning you, so if your symptoms are persistent or if they are interfering with your sleep schedules, consult your doctor. In the meantime, keep you mind free from stress or disturbing thoughts prior to sleep. Try to read a book or listen to pleasant music prior to sleeping.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.