Sleep Disorders Community
rapid movement of head and body only during sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

My sleep issue is quiet hard to figure out for me. during sleep my head will move from side to side rapidly along with my legs and sometimes the force of those movements will rock my whole body back and forth. i am aware of it happening and can stop it anytime if i notice it but it almost always never wakes me up. i'm 23 now and this has been happening since i was a baby. i've noticed that there is no damage of any kind done from this through this whole time. after waking up from a night of the movements i actually feel more rested than i would have without the movements. there is no neck or head pain from it, and honestly it doesn't bother me at all. however i would like to know what it is. i do know that my brother and father both share this "disorder" with me and everything i've said goes for them as well. so if anyone could help me figure out what this is then it would be deeply appreciated.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Many strange things involving movement can happen during sleep such as  sudden jerking (myoclonus) of some muscles; restless legs syndrome where a crawling or tingling sensation in the legs occur when trying to fall asleep and  is relieved only by movement; or even from REM behavior disorder which presents with violent movements. If it occurs also with your brother and father, it is best that you check with your attending physician or be referred to a sleep specialist for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.
My Boyfriend of 12 years, moves constantly when he falls asleep...he sleeps, but me i am up all night...just as i dose off he jumps...this includes , legs, no stop moving..jumping..twitching...i am going crazy, never mind the fact that i dont sleep night after night...i ask him to talk to his doctor about it but he just doesnt...I am in Massachusetts and it is now 2:02 A.M...and i have come down stairs a few times. thinking well he will stop after awhile...but he does not...I have to get up at 5 am everyday...I am a homehealth Aide...have been for years...i take care of the elderly and love it..and i dont require alot of sleep anyway...but sometimes i am so over tired its unbelieveble...can i do anything , or what do you suggest ....HELP !!!! Please ....