seeing things at night ? spiders and insects and people oh my !!
i posted this response in another forum , and am re posting them alone because i feel there are some aspects that are different from the other cases , such as the tremors ,and the length in which this is happening to me ... not only in how long these attacks last , but also in the amount of time in my life they have been happening .

there are also some other symptoms i would like to add . such as a low heart rate , that is increasingly lowered during sleep time . and arm and leg pains that only happen at night . ive had an mri , ekg, cat scan , worn a heart monitor , slept at a sleep study clinic , taken vitamins  , gone to routine check ups . and there is nothing "wrong" with me . i am a healthly 26 year old female .

i think that its strange that every case i have read about everyone is seeing the same images , this leads me to believe and im not a doctor that these things are possible stemming form a part of the brain that would trigger these images . hundreds of people from all over the world that see spiders when trying to sleep . just seems odd that people wouldnt be seeing different things depending on the individual

i have been experiencing this since i was a child . when i was young i believed that there were people in my room at night standing over my bed watching me sleep . sometimes they would grab at me , i felt it as though it was really . my mother would tell me that i would wake up screaming in the middle of the night . but the funny thing was i wasnt asleep . i was only laying there ,sometimes i would wake up with strange scratches or marks on my body . the doctor said i was just a restless sleeper and  it quickly got brushed under the table so to speak as night terrors , and i learned to live with it , as time went on and i got older the "visions" changed . i would see what you guys are calling spiders or insects crawling on the walls , only i think your brain is choosing to see it that way because its something its firmiliar with . i believe that its actually more like a ball of electricity (like those balls in science class you touch and the electric charges shoot to where your fingers are )..... the more i focused on them the more it would look like spiders or something i would naturally see crawling on walls . i also still see people standing in corners . sitting on my bed standing next to the bed . always the same things .and unlike when your eyes play tricks on you i find that when i look away from the image instead of it moving to where i look it stays in one place . my "visions" have started to last longer instead of seeing them for 10 seconds and closing my eyes and having them disappear , its lasting 30 seconds or more . giving me time to actually ponder what im seeing . i am also experiencing a different symptom non of you have mentioned . i sake , sometimes either before or after the visions happen my body trembles i thought it was fear , but now i think its as if its decompressing . its hard to explain . ive seen many doctors , had every test you can think of preformed ,done more then one sleep study . and the diagnoses is all over the place ive heard diet , mild narcolepsy ,sleep paralysis , and my favorite that im stressed . non of which i feel is correct im not excessively tired , i eat healthy , and dont consider my self suffering for any extra stress . i think its strange that we are all seeing the same things , the same 5 images , and that there is no study being done that this could be a completely isolated experience / disorder . i would love to have some answers
Dan, I am sorry that you suffer this horrible problem. To end all this try sleeping with a light on, not a night light it does not give off enough light.

My husband bought me a special switch like a dimmer switch on the wall, but it goes on a lamp, so you can adjust the brightness.

I like to sleep in a dark room, but I've been tormented by this so much that I do have to sleep with a light on. You do not see things in brighter light, only in very dim light. so keep the lamp on moderate low light, and if you still see things brighten it just a bit until you get the results that you need. no visions.
I have heard this runs in families and now I know it is true because my son who is 43 just started having the sleep paralysis, and that is how my symptoms started many years ago.
Try reading up on sleep disorders, especially Narcolepsy. I believe what we are experiencing is Narcolepsy, and I did have a diagnosis for narcolepsy years ago, but with my complex brain problems my doctor has moved onto other things, but anyone can have more than one disorder. Narcolepsy is not life threatening as far as I know, but it is very annoying, and I believe there is medicine that can help. it this continues please see a sleep specialist, or a neurologist.
Oh by the say I also heard footsteps coming toward my room too, some people do have the sound effects with it, but most people just have the visions. other can also smell thing, I believe it effects all of the senses.
Hope you get well soon.
Judy
I just had to comment, I came across this discussion trying to find out why I have a recurring "dream" of seeing someone standing beside my bed staring at me. I am a perfectly healthy 28yr old, and have been having this problem since I was about 15. I have often just thought that I would hallucinate while I was half asleep, half awake. I will often see bugs, and have swated at and tryed to squash things that werent there. I have woken my ex-husband up thinking there was a huge bug on the wall. I will stare at them and finally realize there is nothing there. More commonly and most frightening is seeing people standing beside my bed staring at me. They never try to grab at me, they are always just there staring at me. Usually the vision goes away after I start screaming, but once it stayed and I seriously thought someone was in my room and was out of the bed trying to get away before the vision went away. I was looking this up, because I had another one last night and I ended up throwing stuff at this one because it took awhile to go to bed. This is very disturbing to me, because my young son was in the bed with me and I scared him to death. I have long thought it was night terrors, but from my understanding people with those appear to still be asleep, are hard to wake up, and have actual dreams. I dont really consider these dreams so much as hallucinations. I'm really just glad to hear that I'm not the only one out there. Not that I wish this on anyone, but I'm relieved. I have thought I was just crazy, and had some family members that wanted me to see a medium.
As an add on to the one that thinks it could be due to high EMF's, I have had episodes in various locations.
Cuz at night ur pineal gland in ur brain opens from darkness in ur eyes so it realese melatonin an dmt in ur brain dmt is chemical in ur brain that makes u dream at night, just ur pineal gland opening befor u fall a sleep or still open if u wake up in middel night, being healthy probly why it happens, when monks medatate there trying to active there pineal gland to get visions an talk to the gods u could say, dmt is also found in plants around the world tribes around the world made drinks with some these plants with dmt ayhausca is one the drinks they made to vision quest on to cure an pure the body, they some times see spiders snakes or w.e animals or gods/people , they say there's meaning behind the stuff but no science doesn't no y we see spiders an stuff I don't think they no yet at lest,  so is this dmt really some body and mind curing chemical really is what people think it is ? Science doesn't know yet or at lest there saying, some people belive dmt started religion from people high dmt amounts in there brain they had visions of Jesus an in some case even healing them, (just like the tribes said ayhusca(dmt drink) is sposs to do heal mind an body while some seen "gods", also some people belive UFO alien sighting an stuff are caused by dmt in our brain not much studys I could see on that tho, people studying dmt extracted dmt from plants an smoked it giving them vision for 20 mins of geometry patterns or like mushroom high x100 when smoked enough like 50 mg they can see spiders or w.e or even Passover to another world an see aliens an be back to normal in  20 mins an it's hard for them to remember it all just like a when u dream an night an wake up cant remeber the dream any more , iv heard of case when people say they seen UFO or aliens an can't remeber much is this maybe link to dmt , so this powerful chemical in plants an naturl to our brain we don't no much about an I think people should think about where dmt plays part in humanity or look into some info, east Indians an budda an so on have some what right idea there very much about the pineal gland  an the the sun always worship , sun produce seratonin melatonin dmt an so on in ur body brain, so something link , anyways look into it or ask, what do u all think about it?
Studys show floride, n sodium an othere things crystalize on pineal gland allowing less amounts melatonin seratonin dmt flow out, making people amounts all very , this is very bad I think cuz melatonin helps r sleep an seratonin controles r happyness , so I'd stay away floride water , most city got it in r water an toothpaste an what not, i'd try stay away from it if u can, some people medatate to get there pineal gland active again so it doesn't crystalize up,  another cool thing iv heard from documentry an book was all these solar flares from the sun 2012 will cause humans an are pineal glands evole, some tribes belive this will happen, the tribes that new about 2012 said it be big change in time an r lives , they didn't say it be bad thing happening like every one things, so I'd much rather belive this seems better haha, what u all think ? Ps ur all fine nothin wrong with u just ur pineal gland active letting out small amounts dmt
25 m spider people too lol
I am a 23 year old male and I have panic attacks and other anxity problems. I have been seeing spiders and people in my room that are not there for as long as i can remeber i have kind of got use to them thay don't bother me like thay use to but i notice thay don't happen when the sun is up so I tend to go to sleep at sunrise
Hi my names Sarah.
I’m so glad other people have what i have, it started for me when a was 7 or so and i woke up and saw my mum and sister laying on the top of my wardrobe. I’m 20 now and I’ve been seeing thing again the last 2 month, it started with me having a dream about a spider on me, then i wake up and start franticly bashing my bed. Then i saw a guy friend in the corner of my room, i sat up and asked him what her was doing here then he despaired into a shadow. last night i woke to see a angry face coming at me fast and it grabbed my shoulders and i felt i shock on the tops of my arms, i was freaking out and shaking, i couldn’t get back to sleep after that, i felt like someone was in my room. Please help me!
i have been researching online all this morning, trying to make sense of what happened last night.  i was about an hour into sleeping when i woke up suddenly and opened my eyes to find this big solid black ball with wispy long thin tentacle thingy's. it was probably the size of a baseball  i sat up and turned around where my head was on the pillow and the black thingy was still there, like it didnt move.  i ran out of my bed room into the living room and my heart felt like it was going to pop out of my chest, not to mention my head was going a mile a minute, i thought i was going to pass out.  i eventually went back in my room and it was no longer there. that was the first time anything like that had ever happened to me.  i have seen things before but nothing like that.  its usually like something from the corner of my eye or when its dark in my room i will sometimes see dark figures.  i always just passed it off as weird lighting effects, figured if i didnt acknowledge it, it didnt really exsist or would go away.  kinda like hiding under the blankets because you think nothing can see you.  please tell me im not the only one who has seen this big black thing. thanks
I've just done a search on the net now to discover why my visions of spiders are getting so strong. I'm so happy I stubbled across this forum because I thought I was going mad. I used to have visions of spiders when I was younger and going through a difficult time but now that I'm in my late 30's suddenly they've appeared again. Not when I dream but when I wake up, during the day and just before bed. Last night was a bit strange I was just watching tv feeling a tingle down my left arm I was so scared I was having a heart attack and felt this tingling around my head. Strange but I always feel like there's someone there and they're trying to tell me something. That these visions of spiders is a dead person trying to communicate with me. I've been to psychics and they often say that my deceased relatives are around but I think if they are wouldn't they send me happy visions?? Sometimes I pray or just tell them to go away or leave me alone but then I wonder if this is more of a psychological issue from childhood, then I ask myself what does the spider represent to me in terms of feelings. I feel terrified, I don't feel safe, I feel under attack and I do have that sense in my life at the moment which are bringing up the same feelings I had in childhood. I think my spider visions are related to deep subconscious issues of fear, loss, feeling unsafe, unprotected, alone, isolated and terrified of attack, pain and hurt from people and situations. I've been seeing a psychologist to help with issues that started to arise after bullying at work. My psychologist has given me great techniques which have helped me a lot and just changed my thought patterns by questioning them eg. is the thought I'm having real? what is the evidence to say it's real? what is the likelihood of a spider attacking me? I continue to break it down until the thought has no hold on me anymore. It's amazing how powerful our minds are and just hard work into re-programming them and taking charge of our thoughts makes a huge difference. I've just been too lazy and haven't seen my psychologist in a while due to the stigma of it but I do find it has less of a hold on me when I do the work. I guess in a strange way I feel like I've just answered my question :) ...
Hey Kat,
I ve been seeing things similar to this since i was 17 yrs of age, i use to hear strange noises like drums beating, men standing on my bedroom's door, a woman sitting in the window etc.. now i am 30 yrs of age and no treatment has had an effect, i have a baby boy who is 7 months of age and i see spiders crawling on him at night, its terrorising and i am scared that i might hurt him someday as whenever i see such a vision i tend to pick him up in my arms and run, i ve had such terrors during my pregnancy too, i dont know if its really something related to sleep disorder or i am possessed...
I am glad i am not to only one out there.  I was really beggining to think there was something wrong with me.  My whole life i have been suffering from these supposed night terrors!!  I am constantly seeing spiders, snakes and most of all dark figures just sitting in the corner of the room or trying to grasp me or hover over my bed.  I have been experiencing it during the day too and am actually wondering if it is at all night terrors or something sinister!!
When my cousin was young she used to wake up in the middle of the night screaming cause she claimed there were snakes everywhere. Once the light was turned on they went away. One night she looked under her bed and seen 2 glowing green faces looking back at her, one told her to go look at her mom so she went to her mothers room to find her mom with a green glowing face too. She is now 24 and nothing like this has happened to her since she was younger. Her, me, and my sister are very intuitive to spirits. We find it very easy to pick up their energy but nothing out of the norm. Now i have a 4 year old neice who wakes up at night screaming because of snakes and other things. It is very hard to sleep with a 4 year old screaming every night so i have to put her in bed with me if i want to sleep. I do think most of these things have to do with spirits. My church teaches that it says in the bible not to believe in spirits and i am a god fearing woman but i do believe alot of this has to do with spirits and alot of people aren't crazy. We are close to the end days.
I don't see spiders, but I see strange things or a man standing by my bed. I had night terrors as a child. Here I am in my thirties and they are happening even more - several times each month.

The biggest incident happened a few years ago. I woke up screaming to a man standing next to my bed, leaning his hands on his knees with his head cocked to the side staring at me. The door of my room was open and the lamp was on in the living room (as it always was for a distant night light), and I could see him standing right there, with his body blocking some of the light from the lamp in the other room. He was just staring at me. It only lasted for a few seconds of course - because I was screaming "There's a man in the house!" and I must have squeezed my eyes shut or something and then he was gone. My roommate just about had a heart attack. She walked around the house with her gun to make sure there really wasn't a man in the house. I was 100% convinced he was there was though - no doubt about it. Seemed too real - blocking the lamp light and all. But then I realized it was just a night terror or a hallucination.

They are happening more frequently. Sometimes I think I will have a real and actual heart attack because my heart is pounding so fast and hard in my chest. A man standing next to my bed, or seeing strange things - like hands coming out of a hole in the door that's lit up. Freaky things like that. (Oh and I don't watch scary movies or anything like that. Don't like those visuals in my head - especially when my sleeping mind is such a mess anyway.)

I hope someday they have an answer for us. It's hard to go through these episodes. (Some I remember and some I don't, but I am reminded by who I live with of course.)
I accidentally found this page today and it has helped me understand that I am not in any way crazy. I am a 23 year old female and have been seeing figures since I was younger. Never bugs or spiders, just people.
They seem to get more intense as I get older.
There were a few years where they evolved I had weird interactive dreams where I was asleep but fully functional, walking around my apartment like I was awake. Eyes open, aware of everything around me, and I saw the people in my dreams clear as day in my room. They were never in the other room, only in the one where I was physically present. It was almost like how they describe sleep paralysis but I was able to interact.
I still have those dreams, but more often I just see figures while im awake. Dark shapes with no distinctive features about them. They are always one at a time and in the corner of my room or (heaven forbid I leave the door open) my closet. I get a feeling of terror, but I just sit and stare at them every time until I am sure im not just seeing a pile of clothes or a box.
They never seem disturbed, and dont bother me. But always disappear when I turn the light on.
This has been happening to me for a while also. It started with sleep paralysis. Then i started seeing spiders and now it has gone to seeing people. I think that what we have is narcolepsy. I researched a little about it and realized that i have a lot of the symptoms.

Symptoms of narcolepsy include:

Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS): In general, EDS interferes with normal activities on a daily basis, whether or not a person with narcolepsy has sufficient sleep at night. People with EDS report mental cloudiness, a lack of energy and concentration, memory lapses, a depressed mood, and/or extreme exhaustion.

Cataplexy: This symptom consists of a sudden loss of muscle tone that leads to feelings of weakness and a loss of voluntary muscle control. It can cause symptoms ranging from slurred speech to total body collapse depending on the muscles involved and is often triggered by intense emotion, for example surprise, laughter, or anger.

Hallucinations: Usually, these delusional experiences are vivid and frequently they are frightening. The content is primarily visual, but any of the other senses can be involved. These are called hypnagogic hallucinations when accompanying sleep onset and hypnopompic hallucinations when occurring during awakening.

Sleep paralysis: This symptom involves the temporary inability to move or speak while falling asleep or waking up. These episodes are generally brief lasting a few seconds to several minutes. After episodes end, people rapidly recover their full capacity to move and speak.
I have had a strange entity terrorize my life for over twenty one years. Every time I try to lie down-no matter where it may be, even in hotel beds, couches or chairs, that thing crawls all around and under me in my bed. I have not been able to lie down in my bed for a very long time, and I suffer from osteo-athritis all over my body, with two back surgries. I need to sleep and rest but I can't. Please pray for me.
Edchu.
Have you ever tried to confront what is terrorizing you? Either way when you do confront it or try to confront it again be stern with it, you need to tell it to go away and to not bother you... Enough is enough you know... DO NOT be afraid of whatever it is, you need to let it know that you are in charge of what happens and that you are sick and tired of not being able to sleep. I hope maybe this advice can help you out a little.. I understand completely what you are going through.. I will say a few prayers for you tonight and in the days to come.. I hope everything works out. Good Luck!
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one. At first I thought that I might be schizophrenic but I'm coherent. My visions come day in, day out, day or night. I've heard voices whispering subtle phrases. I've seen numbers appear behind my eyelids. I've seen the name Ulysses appear on the glare of my phone out of nowhere, I was driving and a Odyssey truck pulled up in front of me. Something told me to look it up and the internet showed the story of the Odyssey about Odysseus who also goes by Ulysses...strange, huh. I've ran over the same woman many times, but she always goes through my car. There is a man who never responds to me when I step outstide to smoke a cigarette. I've had my leg and back grabbed a few times. I'be seen spiders and roaches crawl on the floor and up my leg then disappear, but my house is clean. There is a kid's voice who keeps laughing at me, trying to say tomething, while hiding behind my TV  yet every time I check....there's no one there. Everyone once in a while an alarm goes off in the other room, but its empty. Sometimes when I go shopping...its weird because I find things in my basket that I didn't choose and just put them back on the shelf. I started a journal about these occurrences then...I ended up making a script form diary with characters, but now they have a  life of their own and I can hear them at times and they are very helpful. I think they've been with me since I was young. I've told only a few people about this, well except now, but they just kind of blow it off as whatever. I want to understand stand it more than I am concerned.. like I mentioned above, I've looked into it, but I don't think its schizophrenia cause I feel and think rationally. Though I've found myself in other cities when I go into deep thought when I drive. My IQ is a above normal" just not really sure that's the cause. Sometimes I have to take sleeping pills but they tend to work very very late on me. I don't think its a diet issue, I've eaten many things. I think its because I think too much, but then again who knows.
i see this image now . recently v shifted into our new house ... since den iam having such problems... i feel its d direction of sleep and ventilation or the direction of wind dat affects our vision and leads us to hallucinate... and worst of all i wake up to the sound of someone pelting stones onto my desk .. creepy yet .. i donno if its a ghost or my hallucination... although my heart beats much faster.. pounding like... but i cant say i wud be scared... how d hell can a heart beat even if ur ina relaxed mood and not bothered ,,, dats my question ...
***@****
hey everyone ive had the same problems but mine was caused from taking sleeping pills and then i see spiders all over the walls,i can see a friend with me and im talking to him,i saw big chipmunks that had fangs crawling around my room it was the scariest thing ever. like the second night i did this i went into my bathroom where i have a hole shot from a beebee on the inside of the window not all the way through and there were spiders on the outside of the window that were an inch to 2 inches big and somehow they were coming through the hole so i was so scared cause im terrified of spiders so i ran into my room and got my electrical tape and taped the hole closed. so that was why i had those problems but both nights were the most hallucinating nightsa of my life. ~stephen
I have a similar problem, I see roaches crawling walls or running around,I really fear this insects. I usually see them during the day at various times, I don't have any sleeping problems in fact I can sleep anytime no problems but I am expiriencing some lack of memory, I feel better now but I really would like to know what's happening to me am I going crazy?lol
Damn I am 34 and had these for the last ten years. Always the same damn freaky spiders. I am so embarrassed. I take off covers and even frames off walls. I sleep in other rooms or couches or basement. Yea strange huh. My ex thought I was nuts. I am in great shape... but yes I would say average stress.  Why hasn't anyone found a solution yet?
Hi I'm 13 and I see people in my room I also see crocodiles and spiders I also told my mum I had flies on my pillow? :-/ I hate it...
at night my mum wakes me up and says I was screeming it is really terrifying and I'm glad I found someone who is going through the same thing
Hi I totally agree with you.  I began seeing a big spider in a web a couple of months ago.  It moves around and lately it has been right over my head while I'm sleeping.  I personally believe that the spiders are trying to give us a message of some kind.  It is up to us to interpret the meaning and find out what the message is.  I see the spider through my third eye, normally when I am just dropping off to sleep or it wakes me up a couple of times a night.  Also I have had eperience with seeing spirits and feeling things on top of me.  When I told them to go and learnt how to protect myself they have diminished except for the spider.  The best thing to do is to contact reputable spiritual experts who can give you guidance on these types of things.  Some people you can't talk to about these things as they might think you're crazy but we are not we're just experiencing something which is not common for the majority of people.
I have had vivid experiences from when I was a child. I would sit up in bed and the entire room would be swarming with 1000s of crabs everywhere - across the floor, my bed, the curtains. More recently I see swarms of spiders/bugs/maggots pouring out of my pillow covering the bed and getting in my hair. I feel awake when these episodes happen - I have my eyes open and I am terrified. My heart beats so fast and I am drenched in sweat, it takes a long time to calm back down. Over the last few years I have been seeing people in my room. They started off as dark figures in the corners that wouldn't move, then they started to walk towards me when I looked at them. Now they've progressed to standing over the bed and staring at me, and they're in a lot of detail. Last night a police woman was staring at me and when I woke up tried to touch me. It's terrifying, especially as the people are getting a bit threatening and trying to grab and touch me. O have no idea what this is, but a similar thing happens to my man too - so maybe there is a hereditary element to it.
I had EXACT same experience as you.  First shadow people at 22 years of age, then spiders at around 24, and now nightly visits from people hovering next to me, above me or by the door in my bedroom - always during that relaxed state just before sleep, hypnogogic state of mind / body.  I have some vague recollections of visits from 'alien' type formations from early youth, but those images are very vague.  I am 31 years old and I see these images as clear as day.  Exactly the same as most accounts - between 10-20 seconds if I can stretch it, but as consciouness comes back to 'fully alert' the image disappears.  I have noticed re-occuring themes of blue eyes, but the people are all different ages, sexes and dressed very differently, possible from different time periods.  I once asked a young boy what he wanted (I didn't actually speak to him but I asked the question in my mind) and he disappeared before I got an answer.  The thing that scares you is that when your eyes open (involuntarily) you are always shocked to see it because you are not expecting it!  And it is kinda freaky having someone watch you sleep.  Just SO INTERESTING THAT WE ALL SEE THE SAME THING!!!  Seriously, I broke down crying just reading the entries because it is so nice to read that I am not alone in this experience, whatever this experience is...
Wow. I am so glad to have found this. I am now 41 and since I was 4 I have had visions and dreams of spiders in my bed, but more commonly a hatted dark man in my room. Now it's others, sometimes someone sits on the bed behind me and I can't turn to see them. It feels so real, it's terrifying. I translate almost any possible shadow into a human, sometimes a child. Before sleeping if it's dark I see shadow shapes move across the ceiling and come in and out of my space. I just wish people said what works to make this stop. Counseling? Drugs.?
HI IM THINKING THIS IS A SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE ALSO . ITS BEEN 3 YEARS SINCE YOU POSTED THIS HOW ARE THINGD\S GOING FOR YOU? I FOUND THIS FORUM BECAUSE I WAS LOOKING UP WHY DO I SEE THINGS THAT ARE NOT THERE? FOR MY 27 YR. OLD DAUGHTER. I THINK SHE MAYBE HAVING A MENTAL ISSUE. TAKE CARE
hey, I am a sixteen year old female and have been seeing these "visions" or what not for about two years.  It started out that one night I saw spiders or hands( I'm not sure which) crawling on me and falling from the ceiling. I only saw spiders once and now I see inanimate objects and on occasion people. When I see people I often see a little girl who  while I'm seeing her I think it's my little sister. In retrospect this figure never looks or acts like my actual little sister and she seems to have ill intent. I have also become increasingly awake during these episodes and am able to react whereas earlier I was sort of frozen.

Here is a list of things I've seen and I was wondering if anybody else saw these things like the spiders:
-A mattress falling on you
- wire hangers hanging on the ceiling
- a dressmaker's dummy
- candy boxes
- cards
I also always look at the clock when it's 9:11 which is my birthday, which I don't know if this has significance but I read a similar occurence earlier in this post.
Hi..
I am a 32 year old married mother of a toddler. I have been seeing spiders in/on/around my bed on and off for about 2 years.
I thought because it happened so infrequently, it was a stupid phobia, and my half asleep state was allowing me to have these 'visions'. I brushed it off, but last night I had another 'vision' and it has started to take it's toll on my marriage.

I am educated, have an IQ of 124 and consider myself normal. I am not religious, I do not smoke, although I do drink wine of a night time and I do on ocassion take sleeping antihistamines to assist with my sleeping.
The 'visions' (it's what I call them) happen regardless of whether I have taken a sleeping pill or if I have had a glass of wine or not. I am also not on any other meds. I was diagnosed with post natal depression after my son was born, but that is the ony depression I have experienced.
I am of European decent, blonde, green eyes. Thinking back, I used to talk in my sleep when I was younger - my Mother told me she would wake up and hear me having conversations with people that were not there. I have no memory of this.
I have also seen 'shadow people'. I have only had one at a time, who stood over me next to my bed. I scrambled over to my husband terrified, but when I switched the lamp on, no one was there.

The spiders are frequent. I see them weekly. They are so real, I could swear they are there! I watch them crawl down the wall and onto the bed before I switch the light on only to find there is nothing there. I have not seen coloured one's though, just black.

I have started to hear noises at night. My two dogs have started acting weird on the mornings after these happen, and I have had an uneasy feeling about these 'visions' now for awhile. The other night when I went to check on my son it was after 11pm, and I could hear a mosquito buzzing around, but there was not one there, although I could hear it. I wake up with these 'visions' it seems at 12:07 and again at 12:27am. Lately I have seen things walk past me out of the corner of my eye and I feel sick at night before they happen. My heart beats fast and I sometimes don't feel like I'm 'in my body.'
This might sound so stupid, but I have also heard whispering in my sons baby monitor, but my husband say's it's induction noise. I have memories from my childhood of being awake and seeing things that my parents passed off as 'night terrors' or bad dreams, but I can remember being wide awake in my bed when they happened. Oh, and I smell really foul smells in the house sometimes from out of nowhere.

This morning when my husband went to work, it felt like something sat on the bed next to me.. I am now officially freaked out and I googled seeing spiders and this is the forum I found, hence why I'm on here.

There MUST be an explanation as to why we are all seeing the SAME things??? It's starting to really worry me, as I am thinking I might have some disease or illness?? I have been medically checked though, and am healthy. I do feel relieved that I am not the only one, but these visions are getting more frequent, and I do not want to see the shadow people again - goodness, I sound crazy!!!

I do know some weird stuff happened to me as a kid, and I never felt I really fit in, bit that's pretty common. A couple of times I do remember there was a vivid dream of me floating around my house and there were two moons and a dragon.. Anyone else?

Freaked out..
I have same problem with my electrical installation at home,but idk how i can solve this without spending more money.
I am responding to your directly because I, too, am a Christian and I am TERRIFIED to sleep at night. I am actually 48-years-old and I am ashamed to say I have been experiencing this since I was around thirteen. I awake in the night and scare my children and husband to death screaming as I see people floating above me on the bed, standing at the foot of the bed, in the corner. I NEVER sleep without a light on and it just doesn't make any difference.

I had no idea what it was when I was young but when I got older and became a Christian I assumed it was spiritual. I have prayed, and rebuked these things in Jesus' name and they do leave but it has at this point been a lifetime battle.

I do not know if it is spiritual or if it is neurological or if it is something else, but I am so thankful for your post and the other postings here because I actually did not realize that other people were plaqued with this too. Unlike some of the other people here, I am terrified and I have now become sleep deprived because this happens so often that I am terrified to go to sleep.

What is this????
Thank you so much for your posting. What you said made perfect sense to me and I am booking an appointment with my primary care doctor right now! I have been terrified since childhood of the "people" I see standing at the foot of my bed, in the corner and even hovering over my head as I look up above myself - very plain and clearly. I wake up screaming and scaring my husband and kids. This is frequent for me and I actually fear sleep.

Although this has plaqued me since childhood (I  used to walk in my sleep as a small child incidentally), I had no idea it was a sleep disorder. I honestly thought it was either something spooky or that perhaps I was ill emotionally and either way until I stumbled onto this website I was too afraid to tell anyone at all. Thank you again!

.

I have no history of PTSD, trauma or abuse and I have had these issues since I was a young teenager. I have seen everything from a dark shadowy man picking up a chair and running toward the bed to people standing at the foot of my bed, side of my bed, in the corner of my room, etc. They are usually very clear images that I can describe in detail, although sometimes they are dark shadowy figures.
Please post if you learn anything! Thank you.
I've been seeing weird things too in the dark (whether before falling asleep or upon waking up any time in the night afterward) but always with either a tv or computer monitor on. (I'd wondered if it was some weird interaction with the scanning of the screen or something!?) This has been going on for years and is repeatable enough that I also noticed when I shined a flashlight on the mosquito swarm, patch of crawling bugs, spider, whatever it was that it immediately disappeared in the steady white light, only to reappear when I switched the flashlight off (and I could repeat that cycle as many times as I liked.) Just last night I tried closing one eye at a time, and could see whatever it is just as distinctly with either eye or both. I also noticed if I try to touch whatever it is, my hand/finger goes right thru it without disturbing it. One of these nights I'll attempt a long exposure with my camera using existing light. Wouldn't that be awesome to have pictures for all the naysayers!? :p
oh my god It dosen't matter wether its the morning or night i for some reason always pick up my phone and check the time.....or look at a clock and its always 8:23 my birthday.........its so strange....even the new gico comercial mensions the time 8:23...........and i always find myself checking the clock and it be 9:11..........I wanted my father in law to record the voice for me so i could come over and watch it and guess what time he started recording it ....at 8:23 so trust me i know what you meen i have always wondered if it meens anything but i dunno if its an internal clock that gets on a routine of knowing exactly when a time is that you decide to check the time....that gets on a very precise schedual....i don't know and am not sure either....if you get any answers on this as well pleassssssssse let me know. I am very curious
I am in tears right now. I know exactly what you are going through! I just had a dream of a grey cat with piercing green eyes. It told me, "Now you cant move." I was paralyzed in my dream. The "cat" sucked on my neck and I started to shake; as in having a seizure and it felt real! I knew this cat was more than a cat. It spoke to me the way a human would, or a being...
I woke up and their was "the spider"
A black tarantula. I looked at it for a good 15 seconds and then it was gone. PLEASE EMAIL ME at ***@**** ASAP! I have more information on what I believe it really is.Thank you!
Oh my God. I'm reading all of these posts and I am almost crying.  I too have dreams about spiders and I often wake to find them anywhere from one to hundreds.  They never hurt me or seem to threaten me but they are so real and vivid I can't help but be frightened.  This happened at least once a week.  I'm so used to them that I know that they aren't real.  As far as shadows and people watching me.. I have that too.  I tend to feel someone watching over me or trying to watch me through a pothole of sorts.  I often see a light like a video camera recoding and think someone is watching through a hole in the wall.  I often wake and search for the place thinking it's real.  I never see these things when I am out and about, only at night and only coming out of sleep.  I've also found scratch marks on my walls (not to deep) that looked like an animal did it but they are high on the wall and out of reach.  I try to match my nails to them but can't.   I figured I was doing it in my sleep.  This the first time I've shared any of this because I know people will say I'm crazy.  I'm still shocked that this is happening to others.

Kristen
OK, so its not just me... I am a healthy male, 31, active duty military member.  Been seeing these spiders for about 8 years.  These spider are always huge...soft ball size.  Every now and then I see a flying insect and only a couple of figures(not shadows, fully detailed).  At first it would scare me but I got so used to it that I would just wait it out, taking in the details.  Sometimes I forget they are illusions and become very aggressive in catching them...only to feel like a fool when i realize "it" happened again.  Thought I would look it up after yesterdays episode when I spent 5 minutes looking through a cover that i strategically threw on the Spider...I really thought I caught it. Anyways, besides this, im not a crazy guy.  I was just wondering if anyone else has a palmers crease on their right hand...it is a rare trait, something like 2 percent of humans have it...i know its a long shot but just wanted to see if theres another link out there...  
Same here.

It started with seeing shadowy people at night as a child. Then I started to see these fast crawling really black spiders, but they were clearly too fast and too ball-like ro be real spiders. Still see them occassionally, even after moving countries, so rule out radiation, etc. Always same thing, lights on - nothing there.
These days I see purple, white or blue sparks (aura, spirits?), preferably next to people at daytime.
One night,  I saw a black (North American?) soldier (olive coloured uniform) standing at my partner's bedside looking at me in an astonished way, like "what are you doing here, am I really seeing this?! - I looked at him the same way, like "wow"! This was the clearest experience so far.

Saw other friendly people/beings appearing at night, one was a sister of mercy, one was a 3d blue/green/yellow balloonlike construction, shaped a bit like a "h". All of these apparitions seem random.
This world is a truly magical place...
I've been suffering from these so called "night terrors" for as long as I can remember. They started off as some of you have mentioned as spiders... Big Spiders, there was one incident where I woke to find one above my bed slowly coming towards me and I couldn't move pined down to my bed screaming as If I was being murdered until my Mum and Dad bolted into the room. Most of the time it's spiders, I've even seen sea urchins, I know... Random. But the people scare me the most. One night I woke up toget a drink from the windowsill next to my bed, it was pitch black outside but from the tree infront of my window I saw a little girl sat on the branch swinging her legs. I was awake, completely, screaming she didnt go until my Dad ran into the room and the branch was empty. The people I see don't come too often but the insects are common. I wake my boyfriend up screaming, I search the room convinced I've seen them. Some are huge, too big to be real but the smaller ones make it hard to know if I'm dreaming or not. It makes me feel as If I'm going crazy. Last night was the final straw. I'm visiting my doctors tomorrow. I'm not exactly looking forward to explaining this! If anyone can shed some light please get in touch ***@****
I see people but no spiders I've seen them every where at work when I'm by myself but mostly at night when I'm trying to go to sleep and it start to keep me up at night I've seen a man every night for the past two weeks in the closet just staring at me not moving just staring and some times a man in a trench coat in the corner of my room I hope I'm not becoming schizophrenic
I found this sight that could explain things. My doctors never mentioned this to me.
http://m.wisegeek.com/what-are-hypnopompic-hallucinations.htm
My mums 37 and she's started having these visions over the past year although I've never heard her mention spiders only people they're usually stood over her or in the corner but she wakes up screaming and doesn't stop until someone switches a light on and it really freaks me out! Although I have found that I may be the cause of it as if my parents have been in bed a little while and I'm still up studying sometimes I go to the toilet and she has one of her visions I'm starting to think its to do with when she's been awoke from light sleeping? Just a thought so glad I found this forum I thought she was going round the bend! Maybe the similar visions are to do with what we fear most as that would explain the similarities between the dreams/visions?
Hey Everyone,

My name's Michelle. I'm a 27 year old female that has also been experienceing these "Objects" as I like to call them. I've been seeing them ever since I was a young child. First off let me just point out as this relates to some of the older comments, that I am a survivor of child abuse caused by babysitters. I have gone through my years with a lot of stress. However, I don't feel that these objects relate to that. Over the years I have experienced very weird things, from seeing a Leprechaun smoking a pipe, to knives hovering above me, to needles, then to now what everyone else is seeing. First it was Mosquitos, now to Spiders, and afraid that the next will be People as from the way everyone else has put it, it seems to go in order. And it seems to only be happening with females. Maybe there is a certain chemical in the female body that is reacting to something and is causing these images to appear to us, I don't know but would really like to know. I don't want to have to go through starting to see people standing beside my bed or actually getting into my bed. I am also chronically depressed and taking meds which I thought might be the cause but now I am not so sure. The other weird thing is that this problem only happens at home. I never experience it at friends or hotels. I lived with a friend for a month and had not one episode, but yet when I moved back home the problem started to occurre again. I'm just as confused as everyone else is, luckily enough we can be assured that these things we see are harmless. Terrorfying, but again harmless.
Hi, My name is John.

When i was young, i would see ghosts, or figures standing there while i tried to sleep, between ages 4 and 12. Anyway after a while i stopped seeing them, and from my teenage years to my late 20s i didnt see a thing. Then when i hit 30 i started seeing black shadow insects out of the corners of my eye. I also wake up suddenly to see my room filled with very 20-30 people all monochrome, all looking away from me, they were as lifelike as could be. I have also seen a smiling cherub on waking up. Last 2-3 years before i sleep, i just constantly see shadow spiders, and whats weird is, at the same place in my bedroom i will see an identical spider to what i saw the night before, its not random in any way, but of the 2-3 dozen spiders i see, they are all identical and animated. Pretty strange stuff, this only happens in the dark, i have experimented with sleeping totally in the dark, and sleeping with a nightlight. The spiders dont go away unless i have a very bright light on, i dont see the shadow people with a nightlight, however i do see them very often when its pitch darkness. Anyway i am not sure if they are hallucinations or not, but i find it strange that so many people are experiencing the same phenomenon, i didnt even know it was so common till i decided to research it recently. I have also had prophetic dreams which actually happen in real life, it has saved my life on 2 separate occasions. Not sure if its related, but once i almost got hit by a truck, when i was on my pushbike when i was 21-23, and the dream came back to me seconds before it happened and i swerved and avoided the truck without even seeing it until it would of been too late. The other time i was crossing the road on a green walk light, and a car came barreling down the road from 200-300 meters away, and i just stood there frozen, knowing exactly what was happening as it was identical to my dream, but i couldn't move to avoid it. As soon as she looked up and saw me, as she was turned talking to her 2 kids, i reacted and jumped out of the way. Anyway just some strange occurrences. I also had some really strange abilities as a kid, like being able to read a book pushed towards my solar plexus closed, i demonstrated that to some kids at school at the time, i was about 6 years old, and it freaked them out. I thought everyone could do it. Anyway i wont go into the other abilities as there were 5 in total.
Hi. Thank the good Lord I am not alone! I started seeing the same things since I was about 16yrs of age. I am now 22. I've seen spiders fighting on my bedroom ceiling to millipedes crawling down my walls to mutated people spinning next to my bed or feeling like I'm being watched and sometimes I wake up with tiny cuts and bruises and don't remember getting them prior and just recently I started hearing voices. I do believe they are sometimes associated with sleep deprivation and stress. However I started experiencing these things after experiencing paranormal occurrences in my family home. I was terrified at first but I've accepted it and I've learned to live with it. They don't occur that much anymore and when they do, they aren't worse than like before. Prayer really helped me deal with it. They do go away but not permanently. So far I haven't had any occurrences in the past month or so. My advice is, don't let it get to you, sometimes fear will only make it worse. When it does happen, pray and go back to sleep. Don't think much about and remember that it can't hurt us. My best regards to those dealing with this. Thank you for sharing. I feel like I know everyone. Peace and God bless.
I'm a 22 year old female. I've had visions of spiders on the walls and ceiling for as long as I can remember. They are always very realistic in appearance (brown/black, hairy, all sizes) but I know that they are not real because I used to scream and wake my mum (who I share a room with) and she could never see anything. Now I just grab a nearby torch to investigate but find nothing. It usually happens before I go to sleep rather than waking. However, about a year ago I awoke suddenly (don't know why) and saw a dark figure standing over by my mom while she slept. He was kind of hunched over and looked threatening so I leapt out of bed and shouted "What are you doing! Get out!". Nearly gave mum a heart attack. She tried to calm me down, sat beside me with her arm around me but the figure was still there only he had straightened up and was looking right at me. Mum pulled my chin forcing me to look at her but when I looked back to where the figure was, it had vanished. Several months passed without any disturbances. Then whilst on a trip abroad it happened again. I was sharing a room with a classmate. We didn't really know each other very well but we got along ok. On the third night I woke up after hearing a noise. I looked across at my classmate who was still asleep but saw a dark figure (a slim woman this time) reaching across the foot of her bed with something in her hand. I couldn't see what it was but immediately sensed danger and thought that someone had gotten in via the balcony. I remember making a quick plan to stop the figure hurting my room mate. I lay still pretending to be asleep then jumped up and dived for the hand with the object. No-one was there. It really shook me up because it had felt so real - I mean I had even planned my actions. I didn't sleep well after that but didn't tell anyone until I returned home. Mum is a bit concerned but I don't want to see a dr because it has only happened twice. It is really odd though how so many people have similar visions and there is very little research on it.
I can associate with you,I experience flashing twinkling lights, numbers, shadows and symbols when i wake up.. iv read many stories about spiders but none the same as me, apart from your theory of thinking too much... Iv always had a vivid imagination and I believe i think and analyse too much . I FEEL THIS IS THE ONLY  EXPLANATION..I would love to hear someone elses theory. this is my first ever post.
This discussion was closed by the MedHelp Community Moderation team. If you have any questions please contact us
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.