Sleep Disorders Community
sleep aids?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

sleep aids?

Which sleep aid is less addicting and less toxic, ambien or lunesta.  I have heard ambien is hard on your liver.

Sleep disturbances may be caused by underlying physical or psychiatric disorders. Hence, symptomatic treatment of insomnia should be initiated only after a careful evaluation of the patient. The failure of insomnia to remit after 7-10 days of treatment may indicate the presence of a primary psychiatric and/or medical illness that should be evaluated.

Both Ambien and Lunesta are used to treat insomnia. However, on long term use, both have the potential of dependence / habit forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for.

Treatment with Ambien may cause side effects like impairment of thinking or reactions. You may still feel sleepy the morning after taking the medication.  In patients with liver disorder, a smaller dose of Ambien is generally prescribed.

Ambien addiction is a serious problem requiring treatment. The signs of ambien withdrawal are insomnia, fatigue, sweating, stomach cramps, and panic attacks. If a person is addicted to ambien, a doctor should be consulted to seek appropriate professional treatment (Drug rehab programs). No attempt should be made to stop taking the medication on one’s own.

Lunesta though effective causes weird nightmares on waking up. Lunesta is also seen to cause a very nasty metallic taste in mouth after intake.

You should consult your healthcare physician for advise on which drug would suit you better .

Do write in if you need any additional information.

Take care

Isnt there only 1 strength of ambien?  I have been taking 10mg and I usually split it in half.  I have went off of it for a few months but do not sleep. They are investigating pituitary, adrenal,thyroid problems for the reason I cant sleep.  I dont even get tired ever have you ever heard of this?
Ambien is available in 5mg dosage...might be the right thing for you if you are splitting the 10mg ones in half.
I have been taking 5mg of generic ambien for about 5 yrs. I take a pill every night. If not I am worthless during the day from lack of sleep. I know that this is discouraged but since I have to work, I have no choice.
Melatonin
I'm taking Source Naturals sublingual 1mg about 15-25 minutes before sleep.  Works like a magic. No drowsiness next morning.
How does Imovane compare to these two drugs?