Sleep Disorders Community
spitting during sleep?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

spitting during sleep?

Over the past few years, I noticed I started to literally spit in my sleep. I usually always drool, but this is not drooling. I literally will hawk back and spit in my sleep, sometimes more than once, and it isn't until afterwards that I know I did but by then I am half asleep and don't think or do anything of it instead I roll back over and go to bed. I never thought about it too much but I decided to ask because I googled it and couldn't find anything on the matter, aside from infants and children spitting up.

Does anyone else do this? Is it something I should be worried about?
Many people do different things in the middle of their sleep.  Spitting isn't as much a concern as much as the reason for feeling the need to spit.  If it's from a feeling of being unable to breathe, that could be from sleep apnea which can be evaluated by a sleep study
THIS SAME THING HAPPENS TO ME!  Only I don't hawk, I just spit.  It's very strange.  This morning I woke up from spitting, and I was like, "Did I just spit!?! Then I looked ALL OVER my bed for it, and it was IN MY HAIR!  So just know that you are not alone. Peace.
thank god im not the only one! isn't it crazy when you wake up and ask yourself "did i really just spit? did i really just do that??" its so bizarre...i wonder where it comes from.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi.

I suggest you consult a sleep specialist to improve your sleep quality. There probably is an imbalance in the REM and NREM stages.

DrAbhijeetMD

I have been suffering from hypersalivation (especially at night) since fall of 2006.  

I have had so many tests (GI & ENT) with no positive results.  The GI finally gave up - in writing!  

This is so bizarre and so many people can tell me about drooling but not specifically about hypersalivation (espcially at night).  This is literally sitting up to spit every single night and very often.  I am so tired.

Hoping for answers.

LOL!  I thought I was the only one as well.  This has happened to me maybe 3 times in the past 3 or 4 years.  It always happens when I'm between sleep and being awake.  It's like I'm dreaming that I'm spitting and so I do it and then wake up thinking "Oh my God!!!  Did I seriously just do what I think I did!?!"  I decided to look it up today because I thought maybe it could have some correlation with eating (something you shouldn't be eating)  maybe like being lactose intolerant and continuing to eat milk products?  Is that too far fetched?
Hi mela36 and floridagirl317, how are you doing? It seems bit strange that you spit while sleeping and could be just a sleep habit as most of people do not get disturbed in their sleep even if it is an unusual event. Can you ask any of your family members to observe for any other abnormal behavior leading to spitting up? Also a chronic dry throat can cause irritation and raw sensation making you to clear your throat or a postnasal drip due to sinus infection. It is better to see a sleep doctor and a ENT doctor and get evaluated. Share your thoughts. Take care.
Is it mostly women or men who spit whilst sleeping?  "I wonder if it is related to suppressed sexual abuse memories???  Just a thought...  Not that boys don't endure abuse...
I'm glad to hear that others do this too. My new husband spits in his sleep. It has caused me to wake from sleeping and see him doing it twice so far. Is this physiological or psychological, because so far both times it's been in my direction but never on me. Maybe it was in my direction because he faces me when he sleeps. Before I never saw him spit only heard him making a light spitting sound while he was asleep. Any advise on stopping this or dealing with it?

A tired wife :-/
its weird i really did think i was the only one who did this and maybe that i was going a little insane? but ill be having dreams that im brushing my teeth and ill wake up to a chin full of spit and its not even like im sick when this happens it has happened maybe 3 or 4 times with in the past month or 2. im very dream superstitious and thought maybe it was my body wanting to rid something apart of me on the inside like a personality trait of some sort, idk does this make sense to anyone else this has happened to?
I too am a sleep spitter.  I don't spit during the day, so it's not a habit or anything.  It is also not because of excess saliva or mucous.  I believe that I do it when I'm disgusted with someone or something in my dreams.  "I'm so made, I could spit."  Ever heard that expression?  That's what I think it is.

The sexual abuse theory is interesting.  Although I have never been forced to perform a "distasteful" sex act, there may be something to this.
This is freaking me out! I'm a sleep spitter also! I would have dreams that im at the dentist or eating something nasty or something and i would spit. It isnt til after i do it that i wwake up and be can believe i just did that. This has happened to me like 3xs this month. Somebody go see a doctor or something and let me know watz going on bcuz im off medicaid..lol..seriously, im very concerned!
I am so glad that I am not the only one!  I wake myself up in mid spit so to speak.  This is a new event since I have started taking Celexa, I thought that it might have been related to that.  I am not having any correlating dreams at the time I wake up ... I am just "ptooey" spitting right on my bed.  I am NOT a spitter so it isn't a habit.  Anyone else taking Celexa?
yeaah its crazy.....i thought it was just something wierd i did that no one else did.....lool does anyone else talk in their sleep though?? cuz i do.......so maybe its something to do with the reason i sleep talk?....but ye ill be just about to go into a deep sleep wen im thinkin about something like i ate something horrid or im at the dentist or something and i just spit in my sleep then wake up like "did i just actualli spit onto my pillow!!!!".....crazy.....could it be linked to why kids pee the bed?
Today was the first time I had this experience, I was dreaming kind of like in a discovery chanel. I saw on the banks of a river, a injured deer/antelope, And then I saw a crocodile and a cheetah advancing towards the deer from the opposite sides. The crocodile gets it first, grabs by the lower torso and lifts it up back into the river, cheetah is angry and lashes at the crocodile, then suddenly another crocodile enters the scene, the 2 crocs fight while I see the cheetah literraly fedup and scared by the splashing saying to the crocs "Go Home". I was on top of a hill when I saw all and then these cute baby crocs climbing towards me. That was the time when I stepped back and spit on the ground, i could feel the spit moving out of the lip and I woke up to see I actually doing it, and it was really a big glob of spit that I spat on the sheets. I couldn't go back to sleep, I woke my wife up and had her change the sheets. She felt disgusted and I embarassed. Does this make any sense for anybody?
It woke me up today too from that...ughh first last night i had sleep paralysis and today i have spitting wtf man......it happens maybe once or twice a year..which is too much for me....and i always seem to spit on the left side for some reason...and it woke me up today cause it was in my hair..and when I woke up Im like why the hell did I just do that...I dont understand this anything anymore...!!
Wow. I have noticed I have spit in my sleep a couple of times in the last few months, this is the only place online that i have found anything about spitting in your sleep though. . And all there are are theories here. Lol. . . I want to know what causes it. It is so gross. But both times it has happened I was dreaming that something tasted bad in my mouth so I was spitting it out. . Then I wake up mid spit and have it on my freaking pillow or running down my cheek! LOL it is so gross :[
KeWl!!!!........AlL oF uS tHoT wE WeRe ThE oNlY oNeS tO BE So WiErD. UnFoRtUnAtElY, tHoUgH wE FoUnD oUr BrOs AnS sIsSiEs, wE StIl DiNt FiNd An AnSwEr.....
       aNy DoCs OuT tHeRe?.....AnYbOdY lIsTeNiN' tO uS?
...i ThInK wE nEeD hElP
there was one time where i rose up, opened my window and spit phlegm and got back to sleep again. and then i thought, was that real? my goodness! it isn't normal anymore! i've spit like 5x in a year already.

just this morning i thought it was a dream. then i was like, my mouth tastes like this since, you know, it wasn't opened for the past few hours. but when i woke up, there was saliva in my bed. mehn!

is there no scientific explanation for this yet? i hope one medical practitioner may bump into this forum and explain this unusual event >_<
Hey today is my 2 day spitting in my sleep right be for i wake up and I don't hawk but I just spit. I smoke but i stop smoking as much and its a habit for me to spit when i smoke!

or can it be something els is it something I should be worried about?
Same here! Two nights in a row I found myself spitting between sleep. Its hilarious..I don't know WEIRD, but truly funny ;DDD I am a 20y female, sometimes smoking...what else? While I was dreaming I just felt like spiting and first night I woke up before doing the actual thing but full mouth of saliva ;DDD and the next night I woke after spiting on the sheets, that was realy grooooossssss but I just rolled over and fell asleep again muahahahahah ;DD I can't take it!! this is so disgutlingly hilarious!! ;DDD V peace! Goood luck night spitters! ;DDD
I read somewhere it could be related to sleep apnea..  I did it this morning at first i thought it was just a dream until i stood up out of bed and stepped in spit.. NICE!!! =/... im currently in nursing school.. ill ask some of my teachers and see if they have heard of it at all being that some of them are doctors.  happy spitting!!! =D =/
I had a dream last night that i was spitting. As soon as i spit in the dream i instantly woke up and realized i also spit in my bed. It happened once before too haha.
omg.. Today morning i jus spit on my bed.. I had a dream of spittin and when i woke up i had already spit on my pillow... Its terrible to spit on it and to sleep again.. Why does this happn?
Wow! This is so wierd....maybe this is a newly discovered phenomenon! I'm not sure I would think too deeply about this. Lots of people do lots of strange things in their sleep. Last night I woke myself up by hawking into my hand! At least I managed to catch it unlike some of you poor folk! I'm gonna put it down to a stressful few days and complete mental exhaustion from arguing with my partner and writing essays. However, I think I would feel differently if this happened again. As was said above, "happy spitting!"
I just started doing this as well! Almost every morning I wake up to me spitting and just sit there like "did that actually happen or did I dream it" and in my dreams I always spit. It's pissing me off! Haha
I don't thnk it has anything to do with your diet, I myself seem to do it when I'm in and out of sleep. I don't know but it's weird and gross. :/
I have this issue too and the my doctor states that it could be an allergy.  However, I notice it more on days with high sugar intakes.  One of the things I know is that if we continue to inform or (complain) to doctors there will be some medicine for it.  The FDA is always trying to make money so be on the look out for a pill that stops you from drooling during your sleep.
So weird my boyfriend spits whioe sleeping. Hawk and spir. One time i was sitting in front off him and
He
Was sleeping
Kinda sitting up and
Spit right at me but his eyes were closed and he was definetely asleep
to evryone I'M GOING CRAZY CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE, MY GIRLFRIEND DUE TO THIS STUPID PROBLEM, I NEED HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
to evryone I'M GOING CRAZY CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE, MY GIRLFRIEND LEFT ME DUE TO THIS STUPID PROBLEM, I NEED HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm taking celexa!  And this just started happening after getting switched to a new generic by Aurobindo Pharm.  I was taking a generic by Amneal Pharm for years.

I've woke up 3 times in the past month to find myself spitting, as many others as in a dream, but really doing it.  I started taking this new generic about a month and a half ago...

Interesting.  I was already thinking of switching back due to some other side effects I have noticed, but I think this seals the deal!

Thanks Wendylady!
I find that I gob all over the walls and my partner after I have drank wine and have been in a deep sleep. Apparently I really Gob and I have to scrub the carpets and walls the next day!!!
Alcohol can cause over production of mucus.
However, I also find that during the week, when I don't drink I am waking up with lumpc of Phlegm in my mouth. During the day and night, my mouth is so dry and my lips are cracked.
The doctor has fgiven me nasal sprays and allergy tablets but they don't work!!!
Hello everyone,
I'm a Brazilian and I've experienced this "sleep sppiting thing" a few times now. I can't affirm with absolute sure if it has cause or if it's a random event, but I don't think it's related in any way to the dream I'm having as, from what I can remember from the tree times it happened to me, the spitting never had any context within my dreams. I guess it happened because I felt like spitting in real life due to physiological reasons and it came up in the dream just before I had to do it, waking myself up as consequence. Also, I would like to point out that I have no salivation issues or any problems I can relate, and that so far my spitting only happened when I was sleeping in fetal position and my only victims were the side of my mouth and my pillow. If I had to guess I'd say it's just normal and perfectly fine.
Hello everyone,
omg i have the same problem .....
im 14 :)
i just woke up this morning because i had a dream that i threw up and so i was trying to spit it out and then i spit in real life :O maybe its the intensity or how real your dream feels
I think this has more to do with the fact that, while our jaw is supposed to become paralyzed, many people's don't. It can cause people to spit, their mouths to be wide open, and/or bit their tongue, cheek, whatever.  It's part of a sleep disorder, and if you find yourself fatigued quite often, it might be worth spending the night at a sleep lab, so you can find out if more is going on, such as sleep apnea.
  I came here for the same reason as the rest of you: Yep, I'm doing it, too.  I have sleep apnea, plus I'm a tooth grinder, a mouth breather, and a tongue biter!
i been having these weird thing happening too. i am dreaming, taste something bad, then spit it out all of it and when i wake up, theres a whole ball of spit there on my pillow. what causes you to do things in your sleep that u do in  your dream. im pretty sure spitting is the only thing i been doing.
Lol this morning was my 2nd time doing it my whole life the first time I was like "hold up... Did I really just do that?" but I couldn't find it. I figured I was dreaming or something so I just let it go. Today however, I spit directly on my arm lol. I didn't even have to get up to know where it landed because when it hit my arm it woke me up... So yea you're not alone and I'm glad I'm not either... I had to google this lol
I've been spitting in my sleep for the last couple of years but this scenario happens to me like only twice a year. I didn't think too much about it at first but yesterday, I did it again, waking up my mom (not spitting on her just to be clear).

What's really weird is that, when i did it, I wasnt surprised anymore and just thought to myself by saying, "oh, great, I did it again,"

at that moment, it got me thinking that this is something I should check about. So, when I googled it, I realized you guys have the same sleep disorder too. I really thought it was just me. Hopefully this wont cause any problem at all in the future ;(
I'm actually so relieved I'm not the only one doing this. I keep dreaming I'm brushing my teeth and the next thing you know I spit into the sink my dream, but get pulled out of it immediately after by the realization that I just turned to gently spit on myself or my bed! It's been freaking me out as it just happened again about an hour ago and it's the third time in a month and a half.
Like I said I'm glad I'm not the only one, but it still seems really strange and not normal. In my case I'm not sure a sleep study would help, as I don't do it repeatedly every night. I'm hoping someone figures out how to stop it, I'm tired of waking up to spit on or next to me. :/
I'm a sleep-walking, sleep-talking,and sleep-spitting person, and thanking God I'm not alone! It is really sad that nobody has the answer. If the doctors can't come up with at least a 'sorry, we tried but could not find out what it is' confession, then I'd rather believe it has to do with the spiritual aspect of our lives like somebody suggested on this page. I'm going to God with this, and I encourage all of you to do the same. He can cure us, I know. Jesus Christ is the answer :)
Last night I had fallen asleep and about an hour later I was beginning to dream and in my dream I was spitting on the ground which is something I never do in waking life.  I wasn't just spitting on the ground though- I filled my mouth with the biggest gob of saliva I could and then started spitting it out like a string through my teeth and lips and it was a lot of spit!  The only thing was that I was on my back and the feeling of my globby spit running down the right side of my cheek and onto my neck toward my ear and hair woke me right up quick.  I couldn't believe that I just spat on myself. What the heck?
This just started happening to me. I've been a side sleeper my whole life and have never snored..ever. Just recently..last few months, I've been waking up at the end of spitting. It literally just happened just before I googled this. I was dreaming of putting together a lawn sprayer and this..um crap(have no clue what it was) was pouring out of my mouth in my dream. I woke up to my lips vibrating in the motion of a girl spit (which I never do while wake..always been a hocker). Strange, but I've been unable to sleep for about 3-4 years without medication or being extremely exhausted. I lol'd at a few of the comments which made me feel better about it..as I, also thought I was alone. Ty all for your stories and experiences, because to be honest..it scared the crap outta me :O to add..this morning I find out from other family members I was also snoring last night during the 4 hours I was able to sleep. I have been through abuse, and have sleep problems so there are two "symptoms" to research. Thanks everyone for making me feel better about it.. But, I do hope to figure out the cause..because it is a bit disturbing. Lol
I have had this issue for more than 6 years in different ways. But always trying to spit out an object, almost every night!!! I believe the theory, that is very scary, that is something spiritual, I really believe I am very sensitive to emotions and energy. I have done sleep study, gone to several psychologist and depending on their beliefs is what they tell you you might have. We have to strengthen your spirit in a way that you are not scare and you don't let anything interfere with your peace. I try to pray, truly pray, with all my heart for protection, always with a lot of faith in Jesus. When I do that I sleep like a baby, I am not saying just to repeat a prayer I am saying to commit spiritually to the only good in this Universe, God. You cannot be living a life that takes you away from God. When I start making mistakes, forgeting to pray, being afraid again I starts with these nightmares right the way. Hold the hand of God, Jesus is the only way. Have you ever wonder why exorcist or haunted houses need to have a blessing or a deliverance prayer under Jesus's name to bring peace again, to fight evil. Same thing here.
i suffer from this issue as wel but i have a feeling it is stress related. any of you guys in stressful jobs?