Sleep Disorders Community
sudden waking with shock in head and heart palpitations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

I'm 21 male. I have some problems that disrupt my sleep. I often experience heart palpitations at the border of falling asleep. I become very aware of my heartbeat right before falling asleep. Despite feeling an abnormally fast or slow rate, when I time my heart it is actually normal 60-100. However, this palpitation and anxiety keeps me awake. I become fidgety to distract myself from the palpitations. I also feel as if I am shaking or the ground is shaking in sync with my heartbeat. Recently (past week) I would also wake suddenly, usually due to a shocking feeling inside my head, which fits the description of exploding head syndrome. For example today I slept at 1 and woke at 4. Every single time I begin to fall back asleep, I feel this tension build up in the back of my eyes, again at the brink of sleep. It pushes me out of sleep every time and I haven't been able to sleep since 6 hours ago.

I've had my heart checked a year ago because of palpitations with ECG and echocardiogram. The doctors said I was fine and it was stress. I had thought it was from quitting smoking. But I haven't smoked for 2 months now and I seem to be getting more problems with sleeping. Is this mainly stress or can it be caused by something else in which case I'd need to be treated?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Awareness of your heartbeat is termed as palpitation and it can be due to anemia, anxiety, hyperthyroidism, fever and dehydration. It may not be related to a cardiac disorder. Have yourself evaluated for the same.
You should stop becoming anxious and try to relax. Try to have a warm bath before sleeping. Have a glass of milk or read a book before trying to sleep. Don’t watch TV or do exercise before sleeping. Condition yourself that you can relax and that you can sleep well.

But the best way would be to stop thinking about sleep and your sleeplessness. The more anxious you get, the more difficulty you will have falling asleep and this become s a vicious cycle. Also, keep yourself busy during the day and avoid day time naps. Exercise in the mornings, this promotes good sleep.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Same thing here, same symptoms. I exercise in the morning, I'm a runner. I eat super healthy, I try to meditate. When I'm dozing away I get blood rushes to my head that coincidence with every 4-5 heart palpitations. I am tired and fall asleep anyway. However, I wake up after 4-5 hrs. and these head throbes keep me from going back to sleep. Since this started 4 years ago I became a lousy sleeper. I used to be a great sleeper. I have to say I've always been an anxious person. 52 y.o.