xanax or trazodone for insomnia?
i have been taking half tablet of 0.25 mg xanax, about 3-4 times a week which helps me sleep. my doctor has just prescribed trazodone 50 mg. what should i do? continue with xanax or switch to trazodone. please advise
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Please take these medications under the guidance of your doctor, more so as they are controlled substances. Sleep aids are generally given to tide over temporary insomnia. Long term tryt to avoid them. Either way to most of the sedatives (sleeping tablets), people develop tolerance, that is they stop working very effectively with time. So, try to develop good sleep hygiene. Sleep and get up at the same time every day, avoid smoking, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages and exercise regularly.  

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks. I do not exceed 1/2 tab of 0.25 mg xanax. The question I have is -- which of the two - xanax or trazodone is safer? My doctor mentioned the latter is safer for seniors, but I have read a lot of negative feedback on trazodone. Thanks