Sleep Disorders Community
zoloft and melatonin tablets?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to apnea, children’s sleep issues, jet lag, insomnia, narcolepsy and snoring.

zoloft and melatonin tablets?

Hello I take 12.5 mg of zoloft around 6:30 pm everynight.  I was wondering if 3 mg of melatonin is okay to take as well? My pharmacist said it should be fine but was wondering if anyone had personal experience with the 2.
I don't want to take the melatonin long term.  Just to help me get back on track.
Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone in your brain.  It doesn't interact with Zoloft.  That said, melatonin doesn't work very well for insomnia but fortunately doesn't have the numerous side effects that most insomnia medications do.  The best treatment we know of to date is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia which a Harvard study in 2004 demonstrated was better than medications and didn't have any of the side effects or long term expense.  Below is a good place where you can do this online instead of having to spend 4-8 weekly visits with a psychologist.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Melatonin though it is naturally occurring its long term effects have not been adequately documented. Instead you could follow good sleep hygiene measures like going to bed at the same time, waking up at the same time, avoidance of alcohol, smoking and caffeinated beverages. Maintain warm, comfortable bedroom environment and engage in relaxing activities like a warm bath before bed time. This will help to restore normal sleep rhythm. Please consult your primary care physician if problem persists.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Where is this place I can get the cognitive b. Therapy?
I'm on 100 mg of Zoloft the latest increase two weeks ago.  I've been taking 15 mg of melatonin at night to help sleep.  I've noticed I'm drowsy, nauseated and sometimes depressed in the a.m. could this be from the melatonin?

I was also on 1 mg of ativan for three weeks.  I taped down to .5 for 4 days now I'm off it completely, could this be part of the withdrawl (withdrawal)?
i take zolft and high dos of it will make you feel that way. I started taking 50mg in the am then 50 at night  it worked .I an now down to 50 mg only ..