Chantix - when to stop
I successfully quit smoking after about 35 years using Chantix. I am now 42 days free of cigarettes and beginning my eighth week on Chantix. I would like to stop taking Chantix, but I am reluctant to do so for fear that cravings will intensify. My doctor recommends I stay on it for four months. Can you please share any experiences you have had with Chantix? BTW - I am thrilled to be smoke free, though still wary that I can keep this going. Thanks.
First and foremost, congratulations on your quit!
I too used Chantix and I will share with you why I knew I was able to stop taking it when I did.
I was a smoker of 40 years so when the doctor gave the the RX he also said he would like to see me use it for 4 months. After the first month I found myself only smoking a few a day and I would push myself to have the first one later and later. By the 6th week I was down to 3 a day and I wasn't even enjoying them. I was lighting up about 1 or 2 p.m. and it was at that point that I realized that I was ready. I stopped at 6 weeks because I was ready. Do not stop using Chantix unless you are mentally and physically ready. When you quit using it, you will have withdrawal so you might want to prepare yourself. I don't know how to compare it to a cold turkey quit, but I do know that I struggled, quite a bit and there were times when I really didn't think I was going to make it, but with the help of a good support system, mainly this very board, I did it : )
There is a downside to Chantix that I personally didn't experience but so many others have so you might want to do some research on it. I had a few side effects but I felt they were manageable, especially if the outcome was good.
Try reading the articles at whyquit.com too. Everytime I had a craving I would post here and read articles.
Good luck and we are here for you!
---
2y 10m 2w 6d 18:31 smoke-free, 23,224 cigs not smoked, $5,573.76 saved, 2m 2w 6d 15:20 life saved