Day 9 of quitting smoking.
Hello all,
I am prescribed Chantix to quit smoking. I have tried to quit at least 6 times yet always end up smoking after 1 week even when I was on Chantix. This time I am at day 9 and forgot to take the evening pill 2x already. I think that is a good sign but I only have 3 weeks left of medicine. Can anyone tell me what to expect when the meds are gone? I was also drinking 2-4 red bulls a day and have not drank one since I quit smoking. I now drink one small frappucino each day. I get cig cravings about 5 times a day but they are much shorter than 5 min(ave I heard).
Is the hardest part over?
hi
   your doing great don't be tempted, when you get a craving if its handy suck an ice cube, i have not smoked for eleven months, but still get the odd craving, when i get a craving i immediately get up and do something anything to distract myself from thinking about ciggarrets, suck a boiled sweet go for a walk, take a shower, clean the windows anything the craving only lasts a few seconds if you distract yourself, whatever you do
for your healths sake DONT SMOKE AGAIN, its a great feeling not smoking,
       YOUR STRONGER THAN YOU THINK ITS MIND OVER MATTER
         when you start to feel the benefit of not smoking you will wish you gave it up
                           years ago, good luck with your smoking cessation
                                                    frewsh
good suggestions frewsh!

I quit with Chantix but I did it differently then most. If you have gone 9 days without, then I would say that you are winning the battle. 3 weeks should be enough to see you through it, but you might want to try, with the last week, to take 1 pill a day so that you can extend it even more. The Doc prescribes 3 months so you can always refill.

Frewsh gave some great suggestions as to how to battle those cravings. In addition to those, what I liked to do was to read the articles at whyquit.com and then I would come to this message board and complain or simply respond to someone elses query. By the time I finished, well the craving had passed : )
After smoking for 38 years, I find that it is learned behavior that makes us want to smoke so I think that it is important to work on that too.
Make sure that you surround yourself with positive people and make sure you tell anyone and everyone that you have quit. It helps keep you in check if you do think of cheating : )

Congrats on your quit and just remember that you are stronger then any urge you might have. You control what you do so don't ever let it have control over you again.
Keep us posted.
Kathy Jo
day 10 or 11 and still no smoke. I am going to take one a day with my last pack. I have been working out everyday and find the cravings coming less and less. I am only 25 and have wanted to quit for about 3 years off and on. I will keep you guys posted.
Chantix worked great for me too but slipped once after I stopped taking it after 1 month of treatment. I don't like the side effects so now I take welbutrin but take a chantix 2-3 times per week as directed by my doc. After a few short slips I'm not taking any more chances .
What ever you are comfortable with, do it.
mr.lucky66 has a very valid point so make sure, if you feel yourself slipping, to go back to two a day. Exercise can only be positive and works at keeping you physically and mentally occupied. It has been a real help to me too : )

Please do keep us posted and if you need support, we are here for you!
Kathy Jo
Exersize has helped me also. It makes me feel good about being a non smoker therefore more likely to continue on this path, plus the benifits. My thing is 2 short bike rides a day.
Still no smoke! Few cravings. I feel like I have a much sharper image since I do not smoke. I am young and love females, so that is extra motivation!
Good for you! Whatever works for you, go for it : )
Stay positive and in control and don't give in to the urges.
Great work!
Kathy Jo
Good Job.  I took Chantix too, for 1 month.  Had a small heart attack in June, and had a stint put in. I didn't think I would need anything to stop smokiing, but my family seemed to think I would. The only side effect I had, still have, is lack of taste.  My sense of taste is screwed up.  Found out that 8% of the people who take Chantix will have this problem. I hope this clears up soon, it's ticking me off.  Hope you don'tget this side effect.  Good Luck. Gennawee
I am on day 9 no smoking after 22 years! I just turned 39 on Jan 5th and I quit smoking cold turkey Jan 6th. I told myself, I want to be healthy, happy and smelling good when I reach 40!! The first few days I read eveyone else's experiences and it encouraged me to stay at it as well as discouraged me from smoking again. I couldn't bring myself to say anything yet I wasn't sure I was going to make it this far!  I was so tempted I could not believe the mental pressure nicotine was putting on me. I hate nicotine for taking so much from me, like my power! But I'm finally taking it back, I haven't felt this good in years!  I  pray everyone stays at it!! WE are doing something wonderful for ourselves and we should all be proud. Good luck to everyone else on their journey!