Smoking Addiction Community
Smoking and Constipation...

Welcome to Smoking Addiction Forum. This forum is for questions and support for people with, or for loved ones of people who smoke and are trying to quit. The forum covers topics ranging from Cessation Programs and Products, Health Issues, How to Quit, Reasons to Quit, Relapse Prevention, Friend and Family Support.

Smoking and Constipation...

I have read everything on smoking and constipation on the web.  From taking stool softners, to laxatives, to Vitamin C, to just waiting it out.  I'm trying not to take anything because they say your digestive system goes back to "normal" in a few days to a few weeks.  My question is what are you to do if you do not go for those weeks, at all?  Everything I have read never discusses this problem.

As of right now, I have quit smoking.  Has been a couple days and the constipation has kicked in.  Smoking use to keep me regular and I went every day at the same time.  Now, I can't go at all and its driving me nuts.  I have no abdominal pain or bloating.  Just everything that is going in, is not coming out.  Wow, how embarrassing!  Ha!  And the sad thing is ...all it takes is a drag and it gets everything working again.

What should I do?
I have never heard anything about constipation being a side effect of quitting???
Further more, I have never, ever heard that smoking helps keep someone regular!

I'm taking a backseat to this one. Anyone out there know anything about this? Please enlighten us : )
It is all over the web if you look the two up together.  One of the withdrawal symptoms can be constipation, along with a whole list of other medical symptoms.

Apparently they have done studies as well.  In which they found the results to be favoring that more people that quit smoking see a decrease in the ability to "use the bathroom", so to call it.

Hopefully someone can answer my question.  But thanks anyway!
Well I stand corrected : ) Apparently it is not a phenomenon but fairly common!
Amy, if I may suggest it, a stool softener is all natural as if any of the fiber type pills, both over the counter.
I don't think I could take being "backed up" and I don't know that it's healthy so break out the prune juice : )

Congratulations on quitting Amy. An excellent source for protecting your quit is whyquit.com  Joel's library has dozens of articles that answer most of your questions (not constipation though : ) and it really has been a huge help for me.
If you need support, post and we will help.
Good luck Amy.
Kathy Jo