Speech & Language Disorders Community
Not talking and covering ears at 21 1/2 months

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Speech and Language Disorders. Topics include, but are not limited to: Aphasia, Apraxia, Autism and Communication, Developmental Dyspraxia, Motor Speech Disorder, Orofacial Myofunctional Disorders, Paradoxical Vocal Fold Movement (PVFM), Tongue-Tie (Ankyloglossia), Voice Disorders

My son is 21 1/2 months old and he isn't talking, and he periodically covers his ears.  I try on a daily basis to tell him a word and make him repeat and he won't do it.  He says a total of 6 words, he was born at 34 weeks and I am unsure what I can do to help him talk?  As well is why would he cover his ears which began happening about a month ago.
Tags: not talking, AT, 21, months
My nephew was full term and he didn't talk until about 3.5 years. He would say a word onec and then nothing for months. Now we can't get him to stop talking LOL. Some premies I have worked with didn't make a sound not even a coo until 2 yrs. Is he progressing as expected or advanced in other areas? If so I call it 1 track mindism (not the technical term). It is where a infant/toddler is concentrating so hard on one thing say their fingers/fine motor skills that they basically ignore the other skills until they are able to do what they want with what they are working on.

Also, most special classes I have assisted in don't really start questioning a kid not talking until about 2 or 2.5 years old.
I think you should raise your concerns with your Health Visitor at the next appointment.  Then your worries can be discussed and the HV can ensure the child is meeting their milestones and refer you on if she has concerns.  Usually that would mean a referal to the GP in the UK.
My son is diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum.  He started saying words at around 1.5 years.  He was saying two/three word combinations at 2 up to 3 years.  Then he didn't make any progress.  Then we were bought a TV with a video player, and from the first moment he saw a video he would memorise and repeat all the dialogue.
My son also used to cover his ears.  This was due to sensory issues he has.  He now has a dx of Sensory Integration Disorder.  You can google that to see if that sounds relevant.  SID can affect any or all of the senses and the integration and perception of sensory information.
At this stage I would simply raise your concerns with the HV and see how things progress.  It could be nothing at all.  But it is worth talking to a professional about.