Stroke Community
bleed on the brain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

bleed on the brain

My mother got taken into hospital and a scan showed she has a bleed on the brain.  We do not know the cause yet as she has to wait for another scan.  She is very confused and cannot remember things such as her age, date of birth, where she lives, peoples names etc.  Her blood pressure is really high.  Any ideas as to what could be the cause of the bleed?
I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  Most likely the cause of your moms bleed was high blood pressure.  That's usually the cause of a hemorrhagic stroke.  My husband dealt with high blood pressure since he was in his 20's.  He's 57 now.  He never kept it under control.  When the paramedics came, he was half comatosed and didn't know where he was or anything.  You can read my posts and about his recovery by clicking on my name.  To make a long story short, he had confusion for weeks after the stroke and still has moments every now and then.  He has developed double vision and has some spasticity in his left arm.  But he survived, which is against the odds.  When was your mom taken to the hospital?  What side of the brain was hit?  Is she aware at all?  If you have more questions just post.  We're glad to share our experience.
Hi, Thanks for your comments. She was taken to hospital on friday night, she was complaining of pain on the left side of her head.  The doctor said she had a mini bleed on the surface so it is not deep enough for a stroke.  I went to see her last hight and she was more back to normal, a little bit unaware of space around her and it takes her a little longer to focus on things, but her blood pressure has come down.
Hmmmm...a mini bleed on the surface???  That sounds like a subarachnoid hemorrhage which is another form of a stroke.  That's where the bleed is on the surface of the brain between the brain and the skull, which is just as devastating.  It doesn't have to bleed into the brain for it to be a stroke.  Make sure her blood pressure stays down and talk to a neurologist.  If the doctors say it wasn't a stroke you should ask exactly what was it that happened.  Is this a hospital that specializes in injuries of the brain?
Strokes can be classified into two major categories: ischemic and hemorrhagic. Ischemia is due to interruption of the blood supply, while hemorrhage is due to rupture of a blood vessel or an abnormal vascular structure. 80% of strokes are due to ischemia; the remainder are due to hemorrhage.
Hypertensive intracerebral hemorrhage is type of stroke involving bleeding in the brain caused by high blood pressure.
The high blood pressure has caused the rupture of the blood vessels in the brain.Intracerebral hemorrhage can affect anybody, but it is most common in older people.
If the patient gets quick medical attention, anti-bleeding therapy may be appropriate. This involves using a medicine that stops the bleeding. It is very important that this type of medicine be given within 3 hours of the symptoms first starting, so it is important to get to the hospital quickly.
ref:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000715.htm
I am 34 years old and am currently recovering from surgery due to a large brain hemmorage on the front right of my brain.  I went to the ER with a severe headache 5 days postpardum.  With no history of high BP my blood pressure shot up to 178/114.  I am OK but no one can connect the dots for me as to why this happened.  I am glad that I finally went to the hospital after 4 days of headaches, I may not have made it another day.