Teen Health Community
Knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Knee pain

Hi am almost 16 (4 days away) and I've had knee problems for 2.5 years the doc told there is nothing I can do just wait it out. A year and a half ago he said it would be over by the time I was 16. I went back again in september and he told me maybe another year or so. This has become really frustrating because they seem to be getting worse. Has anyone else had this problem? How should I go about treating it?
Hi there,
I've had bad back pain since I was young and it has been really bad since I was about 12 (am 18 now) and it has stopped me from doing so much and has been very frustrating at times, I have been going to physiotherapy for a few years and chiropractor for a couple of years too but still not really any change but recently I've tried accupuncture in between chiropractor visits and it has really (FINALLY) started helping after all these years so I would give that a go if I was you, it's worth a try!
I hope your knees are good as new soon, good luck.
Hay, I have anckle problems and it makes it worse if I gain half a pound, even if that just water weight. I too have a bit of a knee problem but I want to know, when you stand and your knees are facing forward, are your feet forward as well or are they pointed somewhere else? Cuz my feet go out and that's the problem. I suggest to not do sports with a lot of running. Swimming is a good one. I heard your pain. But you can't stop walking from class to class. For a few tips, stay hydrated, stretch atleast once a day (suppose to do it twice) and keep your muscle strong. That should help for the most part

No my feet don't go the right way. I am very duck footed. I am also flat footed. I was in physical therapy for my knees for about 4 months. The first thing they noticed was my duck feet. He said he should see one toe when he was behind me and he saw 3.  I have tried correcting it but so far nothing has worked. They noticed I was flat footed when I stepped off something resembleing a stair. My foot rolled in putting pressure on my knees. I get trouble for not standing correctly at karate but yelling at me doesn't help. I had 3 people holding my leg and foot perfectly aligned and as soon as I stepped off the stair it broke their grip. Eventually the therapist gave up on me.
See if your mother can get you in to see a Rhuematologist. There is a possibility you may have JRA or Juvenile Rhuematoid Arthritis. Growing pains tend to affect the long bones of the body while JRA affects ONLY the joint. My daughter was diagnosed with JRA at 5 1/2, but actually started having problems the same month she turned 3. It took that long to diagnose her. At 7 she was in physical therapy for a year while they tried to straighten the curvitures of the knees. I'm not telling you you have JRA, I'm just saying you MAY have it so get evaluated by a Rhuematologist.

I already had blood tests to rule that out. I forgot the name of the condition but it is when the cartilage behind the knee cap gets soft. I just question whether there is really NOTHING to be done. It is very painful and common in teen girls so you would think there would be a fix.
Bloodwork is often times normal in children; that's not unusual. See a Rhuematologist and have him evaluate you.
i can't because our insurance is changing and isn't that great. i was seen by an orthopedic specialist and he said that the cartilage behind my knee cap is soft. The physical therapist said it was my flat duck feet