Teen Health Community
Period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Period

I'm 15 years old. My periods started, when I was 11 but they are not regular. My first period was in May 2009 and the second one was June 2010. Doctors said that was normal. But now I still have some mayor time between periods. Third period was in April(3-8) 2012 from there on it goes: May(13-18) 2012, July(15-22) 2012, September(29-5 October) 2012,  November(4-11) 2012, December(10-16) 2012. And there has been no more. I was in the hospital in May 2012 right after my period. I had a really sharp pain in my stomach. They didn't figure out what that had been. Second time I went to the Hospital in October 2012. Again it was the same pain. They ran so many tests. I visited like 4 Cynecology doctors. Again they never figured out what that was. They said that everything was ok and there are no complications. So my question is: Is it normal to have periods like that? Is there something wrong with me? Will I be able to have kids someday?
Hi!
No, it is not normal to have irregular periods. You have undergone several tests. However, I will just enumerate the likely possibilities and you can check and see what has been missed out. High level of stress, dramatic changes in your life style, high cholesterol, hormonal imbalance as seen in thyroid problems and PCOS, chain smoking, may be some of the common causes of your irregular periods. Cushing’s disease and disorders of adrenal gland, tumors of the ovaries and adrenals, insulin resistance and obesity are some of the other factors. Prolonged use of oral contraceptive pills is another cause. Other important local causes of irregular periods are PCOS and fibroid uterus. PCOS causes cysts to form on the ovaries, interfering with regular ovulation. Diagnosis is by blood tests like blood insulin levels, serum testosterone and androgen levels and by ultrasound.. Do discuss this with your doctor and see if something was missed. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Do you get pain with your period all the time when it does come?

Nothing is wrong with you. I wish I was more like you when I was your age. I never tracked my period and I was very irregular all the time and didn't pay much attention to it.

I am sure you are fine and sometimes it just takes time for you body to get into a normal cycle. If you have pain then I would worry. If the pain was just the one time I would say you are fine.

Did they ever do an ultrasound to check for any ovarian cysts?