Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Lowering my synthroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Lowering my synthroid

About eight weeks ago they lowered my dose of synthroid to .1 from a .112.  I had been feeling not right for a while, I was on the .112 since August.  When they lowered my dose my TSH was .04.  I just went to get my levels tested and my TSH was a 0.011 on the lowered dose.  My doctor lowered my synthroid to a .075.  Has anyone ever seen a case of Hypothyroid that eventually your thyroid starts producing again and you don't have to take synthroid anymore?
Yes, it is possible -- usually it's a nodule that produces thyroid hormone OR less likely a Graves disease type situation where the immune system stimulates the thyroid.  Sounds like your doc is on the right track by systematically lowering the dose and determining the need for synthroid.  If you come off synthroid completely and are still with a low TSH the next step would be an I-123 scan/uptake.
do you get sick when they change the meds on you?
I do everytime for at least two weeks, just wondering if anyone might have same problem
I don't really ever get sick, do mean like the flu or cold?.  Sometimes I notice some joint pain when I switch but never a sick feeling.
My doctor told me this is very common for people with hypothyroidism that still have a partially working thyroid.  He said that there will be times when your thyroid will start to "kick in" - hence, lower synthroid dose, then just the opposite may happen and it'll stop producting hormone and you'll need an increase....
yeah i too get really messed up if i switch brands. then eventually feel good if i stay on the same brand long enough. whos switching your meds? your phamacist? dont let them do it. find a brand u feel good on and stay with it.
So, my thyroid could fluctate my entire life, doesn't it ever stabalize?  That would be extremely annoying and disruptive:(  I was hoping to go off the synthroid all together. I feel that since being on it my general overall health has been worse.  Maybe, I should try a different brand?  Has anyone switched from Synthroid to Armour with better success?
Hi. You know what?  I feel the same way, and I don't have the answer, however, I am seeing my endocrinologist next week and have a list of questions and I'll add yours to my list since I am curious too.
As for possibly getting off the meds, I was told that that is very rare.  I imagine that it depends on the type of hypo that you have.  I mean, if it's what they call a transient kind brought on by something other than an autoimmune disorder or general disorder that destroys your thyroid, possiby you wouldn't have to be on meds forever.  But, Hashimoto's (autoimmune) eventually destroys the working thyroid and one cannot live at least not productively without a working thyroid or supplemental thyroid.

Hope that helped.

"I once felt bad because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet."

Good Luck!

I have also been having trouble with synthroid. I started on it about 9 months ago after being hypothyroid and diagnosed with hashimotos, and have been reducing it constantly (without the permission of my doctor - who wouldnt believe i had heart palpitations and cant even excersize coz my heart goes too fast).
A couple weeks ago i stopped taking it completely. I'm glad to know im not the only one - but im not sure if i've gone hyperthyroid now...