Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH levels

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TSH levels

most recent tsh is close to a 4 I am currently on levothyroxine 25mcg, which is a baby dose. my hypo symptoms made a comeback, symptoms come & go, but not at the level they were before treatment when I was over 11 several months ago, at that number I actually thought i was dying! So someone hellp me out here. my current endocronologist does NOT think i need a dose increase but i strongly disagree, he did have me go for another tsh & free t4 last week (the results i will know monday, a copy will faxed to my primary also) to see where i'm at, then will will see what his decision is. I weigh too much to be on such a tiny dose (im actually on the heavy side) & my dr knows how much I weigh but does not even bring that up & i actually need to lose about 20-30 lbs & just cannot seem to do it on my own no matter what diet i chose. Dont get me wrong, i am not in any way looking for a quick weight loss fix, levothyroxine is not a weight loss drug,(where i work there are 250-300lb residents who are hypothyroid & they are 100 lbs overweight!) But I think that being on the right dosage of levothyroxine & correct lifestyle changes & eating habits (i have been religious in recent months!)i should be able to finally lose weight. I am strongly considering changing endo drs, he has not even checked my t3 levels & i have been a patient for almost a year. As everyone is well aware of these dr visits are not cheap & i think this dr is just waiting my time.
At this point the standard of care is following the TSH and recent data suggest a TSH value of 0.5-2.0 for patients treated with thyroid replacement.
Great, someone is out there & i'm glad it's you! OK i'm kind of in a dilemma here, I just got my latest lab results, TSH went down to a 2.59 & FT4 is a 0.72. I'm still feeling about the same although i'm happy that i'm not any higher than that, but i still dont feel great, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being my absolute best, i'm around a 7. My endo says my numbers are "textbook perfect". While i agree that they're not high or life-threatening, i don't think that they are "textbook perfect". When i was in between a 1-2 range, back in the summer, i felt better than i do now (more at the lower end of 1.) I must mention also, if i didnt already, that i am on warafin 8mg for a dvt i had a couple months ago & since then my levels have been up & down. Do you think the warafin is causing this or is it just me? My endo didnt even mention a levothyroxine increase but did tell me to mention this to my primary & to my hemotology dr. I did have a series of blood tests for my clotting levels, one being a ferritin level & i heard that a low ferritin can mimic hypothyroid symptoms. I am also thinking about increasing my synthroid (levo) on my own, from 25 to a 37.5 & just telling my primary & not my endo or hemo (had to abbreviate, LOL)I am fairly big & I dont think that that would do me any harm. What do think of this?
coumadin should not interfere with thyroid function but changes in thyroid levels may change INR and make the coumadin dose change.

Sounds like you have room for a slightly higher dose of levothyroxine -- may be "textbook perfect" but not "recent medical opinion perfect."
I agree with you on the dose increase, exactly how high? My guess would be 37.5mcg. BTW my INR is fine at 3.3, hemo dr wants it above 3 but under 4, all other tests are also fine (cbc 7 ferritin being one)
probably 37.5
thats the exact dose ive been taking, started on the 28th. I eventually will tell my primary dr & i will have him send me for thyroid blood work in a month, then once a month till I see my endo in april. I will show them my numbers. Keep your fingers crossed. My symptoms have improved & i already notice a difference in the way i feel. Keep your fingers crossed.
I have been treated for hypothyroidism for the past 5 years.  I still do not understand what is a correct level for TSH.  I have ranged from 26 down to 3, they have adjusted my synthroid several times and I am now on 125mg.  My Dr. doesn't really explain, she just tells me to take the meds.  What is a NORMAL tsh level???
The recommended range is 0.5-2.0, although most labs are still using the current ones, which go up to a 5 being the highest to be considered in the norm. I know i feel much better when i am below a 2, which is where im heading (hopefully) When i was close to a 4 several weeks ago i felt awful.
Hi. Its been very close to a month since I increased my levothyroxine on my own & I must say that I am feeling better. I am going for another round of tsh tests at the end of next week to see where i'm at. Ive been getting some negative feedback on the internet regarding my thyroid dr & from what I have read, and fron what a few folks on-line have told me, I doubt I will be going back to her. My sister-in-law  has a very good endo & I may consider going to her, or I just may have my primary (i've had him for close to 10 years & we have a good relationship)just monitor me, unless I start running into problems, if any occur that are thyroid related he will not hesitate to give me a referral. He knows that I upped my meds & said that is ok as long as I know what i'm doing which I do. I'll keep everyone posted. Take care!
A am 47, (female) and I have struggled with my thyroid for the past 3 years.  I first went to an endo, he couldn't get me regulated with my meds and all he wanted to do was give me other drugs - like antidepressants and viagra (for my loss of libedo), instead of trying to get to the root of my problems. I'm back at my family MD, and he also wanted to put me on antidepressants because he thought I was "depressed" and again, not willing to get to the root of the problem.  Well, I finally found an endo that understands our health issues.  Unfortunately, she's not in my state (if she was I'd be at her door) but she has written a couple of books and a cook book.  The books have been extremely helpful to me. She explains how important the balance of our hormones are and how the foods we eat affect our health. I have read them both and have been following her suggestions. You can visit her website at:  schwarzbeinprinciple.com
Her name is Diana Schwarzbein, MD.  You can listen to the "Wellness Hour" interview they did with her which is also on her website.  I found her from another website - womentowomem.com which was also a helpful site.  I have finally figured out that I have to take an active role in my health and not just take what the doctors are saying as gospel.  I wish you the best of luck and I hope you will find Dr. Schwarzbein helpful.
Thank you, & I could not agree more that WE as patients, who are paying these dr's (be it out of pocket or health insurance) are the ones who have to stay on top as far as our health is concerned, i have taken on that attitide till I leave this earth. BTW are you currently taking any meds? I dont remember you mentioning any in your post.
Yes, currently I'm taking Armour Thyroid 30 mg - however, Dr. Schwarzbein cautions the use of Armour Thyroid - I just had a blood draw and I am waiting for my tsh results.  I am going to request to be put back on Synthorid.  I started on Synthroid and would feed good for a few months then wouldn't feel good for a time, my tsh levels would be in range but I still wouldn't feel good, (if I knew then what I know now would have been helpful). My endo at the time couldn't figure out why I wouldn't be feeling well and that's when he starting perscribing antidepressants, instead of looking at other hormornes. I am learning that what I eat effects my hormones so I am eating balanced meals.(suggestions from Dr. Schwarzbeins book)  I have noticed a difference in how I feel according to the foods I eat.  I know something is still out of balance.  I requested to have my adrenals tested (a saliva test is what I've heard is best) but our local labs do not do those tests.  I haven't been able to find a good doctor that is willing to help me.  This has been a very frustrating medical battle.
I'm so glad I found this board.  It sounds like everyone is going through the same things as me.  I've done a lot of my own research and found that a lot of doctors just don't know enough about thyroid disorders.

I finally ditched my old doctor and found a specialist (an endo) who is still working with me to find a solution.

I suggest finding a specialist who will listen to your symptoms and avoid taking anti-depressants or other drugs until you get a second, third, fourth opinion.  It seems doctors are more willing to prescribe meds (suggesting it's not your thyroid but some other ailment) rather than listen to your symptoms and help treat your thyroid problem.

If your doctor thinks a TSH of 4 is in-range, then they're out of the loop.  Listen to your gut and find a new doctor.

Just my two cents - hope you feel better.

I had my entire thryoid removed about 6 years ago.  I recently changed doctors and they lowered my levels. I was actually on 350micrograms of synthoid, which the doctors said was alot. I overweight so I am not sure if that has anything to do with the amount I should be on.  The doctors (i live in guam now, military wife) changed my synthoid about a year ago down to 175 and i have been feeling very depressed. The doctor today told me that My TSH level should be at 1.0 and it was actually at 10.00 last october. I will be honest I have been very neglectful about takingmy medication. The past month I have been very religious about taking it every day.  What i want to know if what other tests should I be asking for.  Besides the TSH level, and what numbers should I be looking for?  I need to start feeling normal again.  I am 41 year old female and weigh about 245. (when this all started I was about 160.  Thank you for any help you can give me.

I don't know if you can get it through the military, but have you heard about Armour thyroid? It's a natural desiccated porcine thyroid (dried pig thyroid), and I have found it to be much better than Synthroid. A normal human thyroid produces hormones T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin, but Synthroid and other synthetics are T4 only. A synthetic T3 (Cytomel) is also available, and a combined synthetic T3/T4 (Thyrolar). But it seems to me that getting everything in Armour is so much better than taking only part of what my body needs, and synthetic, to boot. The trick with Armour is being allowed to take enough to make you feel well - it suppresses the TSH, so doctors who don't know will think you're hyper when you're not.

Anyway, the tests recommended by a lot of alternative medicine doctors are FREE T3, FREE T4, and thyroid antibodies. The free T4 (storage form of thyroid hormone) is the amount in your blood available to be converted to T3, the usable form. Free T3 indicates the amount of thyroid hormone available for use.

Learn as much as you can about thyroid and treatment, so you can take an active role in your own health.
thank you ancient mariner. I am going to print that out and bring that to the DR. tomorrow.  Has the armour helped in anyway with losing weight?  I wish the doctors would have figured out that my thryoid levels were all screwed up so I wouldn't be feeling this way. I definetly feel better knowing I am not crazy and I don't need anti depressent, I just need to be on the right medicine. Any more info you can give me would be great.  THANKS
I just incresed to 4 grains of Armour (240mg) and the weight is starting to come off. I've lost 10 lb without trying, and I do not feel hyper in any way, so I'm not being "over-medicated". Sorry, I didn't post sooner - hope your doc appt went ok. Just know that you are not the only one who wasn't been correctly diagnosed/treated. A couple of websites you might be interested in: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and the Natural Thyroid Hormones group on yahoo.com. There's lots of good alternative info on both of these sites.
this is for dr mark as well, as i promised i will keep you updated. Well as you know i increased my levo (levothyroxine) on my own back on 12/28 (read previous posts)from 25mcg to 37.5. After 1 month here are my labs (ordered by my primary dr at my request): T3, total:1.21, T4, free:0.84, TSH: 1.72. Labs before that were: TSH: 2.59 & free T4: 0.72. I am basically feeling much better but feel i still have a long way to go. I would like to get my tsh down to close to a 1 so i increased the levo to a 50 on this month on the 2nd, so far so good. What is your opinion & should I have a free T3 taken on my next lab draw? It will be this month on the week of the 26th.
can someone please tell me 4.5 is a normal reading for your thyroid as i have been told for years and years this is normal range then why dont i feel normal?
no its not normal for you if you dont feel good at that number, sound like you're hypothyroid & in need of medication. Did you consult a doctor yet? Let us know.
hi
yeah been to doctors on and off for 12years now,just had a ultra sound and xray told thyroid is slightly bulky and small nodules throughout,i have a really noticeable goitre and got worse over the years followed by the symptoms of fatigue,coldness,just developed ezcema (eczema),low pressure etc etc but told to go back if any new swellings appear but my goitre swells really bad every month so my periods are erratic at times.the goitre makes me feel like iam choking at times but mostly like i have a piece of food stuck but been told it is all in my head were do you go from there. well i have asked for a second opinion as iam not prepared to put up with this any longer my quality of life is 0 and i have 2 kids it is so unjust they make you feel so mentally insane. have you got any suggestions on where i should go next?
Im new here but ive been reading all your postfor a few weeks now. i have recently found out i have high tsh...6.42 as of last check on 1-3-06 and a few years ago my other doctor told me it was a little high also, but he would check it next time. and i never really understood about thyroids and what they can make you feel like. so i never thought much of it. well i decided to have blood work again on 1-1-06 with my new doctor because my Cholesterol was a problem in the past...244 & Triglicerides (triglycerides) i beleive were 600's . well i dont eat fatty foods,greasy fried beaff or pasta.so it couldnt be from that and im 5'9 and weigh 190 and in desent shape.non. smoker to. and i read up on that being hypo can cause this to happen and my family doc. neversaid anything about that.but for about 7-8 years i have had a real battle with anxiety and slight depression and in the last 3 months really bad depression thoughts and feeling doomed with death, i feel realy sick to stomach alot. and i get really bad hot flashes when slepping and any other time.. are these symtoms (symptoms) of thyroids and if so will others please tell me what kind of symptoms your having. because the thougnts and feelings i go through are freakin me out and then all of a sudden i will feel ok for a couple days. and my doctor ( endo) gave me a prescription for ( synthroid  0.05 mg ) i havent started them yet because ive read up on them and i dont like meds with alot of side effect, are they good?? or should i ask for an all natural prescription & do they make one?? thanks and please help if possible ...
sounds to me like you are hypothyroid, before I started on meds my symptoms were exactly like yours, when i started on meds (levothyroxine) they just about disappeared. This was just last year around august. I'm proud to say that I am slowly getting my life back. I am monitoring my own progress & will be gpoing for more bloodwork in a few weeks. Please find a really good dr who will listen to you & feel free to come back & keep us posted. Good luck to you!
hi there
just got tsh 1.11 anti bods neg
so told everything fine just thought let you know,going back for second opinion on goiter still not happy with conclusion but what more can i do so maybe wait to see what happens.
Hi -
I'm new to this board and am looking for some assurance and/or advice.  I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with hypothyroidism.  I am an otherwise healthy, fit 34 year old male.  Contrary to what I've read symptoms can be, I'm actually on the lighter side (5'10", 165lbs) and have a reasonable amount of energy, although lately it's been waining.  Here's the thing - when I was first tested my TSH level was 225 (not a misprint).  After several retests to make sure it was not a mistake I was put on 200mcg and have fluctuated between 175mcg and 200mcg ever since.  Recently I got lazy about taking my medication due to a new insurance plan that makes getting prescriptions a hassle.  When I finally got around to dealing with it (after about 2 weeks of no meds) my doc looked at my chart and realized that they'd been prescribing me way too much levothyroxine - my last blood test apparently showed almost no TSH, yet I was still taking 200mcg for almost a year.  He wanted to retest me and readjust my dosage.  Well, my results came back this morning and my TSH is back up to 183 after only about 2.5 weeks of no medicine.  Based on the events chronicled here and a few other things, I don't have total faith that my doctor knows exactly what's going on.  So my concerns/questions are these: does anyone know if such excessively high TSH numbers could be indicitave of something other than hypothyroidism that I should be tested for?  I did see an endocronologist 5 years ago, but should I see another to be sure?  Most importantly, what could the effects of too much levothyroxine be and/or too much TSH (I seem to be penduluming between these 2 scenarios)?  Most of what I read just says to get TSH levels back to within a normal range and that that's all you can do.  I guess I'm just looking for some assurance that I'm a) not facing some imminent danger due to high TSH and/or too much medication, and b) that my abnormally high TSH levels, when they occur, are not indicative of some other, bigger issue.
Good morning.  I am looking for some information on my TSH levels and would appreciate any and all feedback.

I actually have a low normal TSH level and a low normal Free T4 level, BUT I have so many symptoms of hypothyroidism -- weight gain (not able to lose), fatigue, moodiness, can't focus, constipation (even with fiber), cold hands/feet, low BBT and low temp throughout the day, hair loss (no hair under arms, minimal on legs), dry skin/hair, thick skin on feet, recurrent sinus infections, etc.

Couple of side notes -- I have mild mitral valve prolapse, I tested sky high for Epstein Barr virus antibodies (doc said didn't mean anything, but not sure why she tested for it the first place then), my CO2 level also tests low (out of lab's normal range).  Don't know if these have anything to do with it, but trying to be complete.

I've looked around and seen brief mention of hypothyroid when TSH is low/normal but T4 isn't high...but can't find anything in detail and not sure if the tests I had are the "right" ones.

They are as follows:

Test 1:
Free T4      1.0    (range 0.8-1.8)
TSH          1.88   (range 0.35-5.50)

Test 2:
Free T4      1.1    (range 0.8-1.8)
TSH          1.92   (range 0.35-5.50)
***Also had T3 Uptake and Total T3, but heard these were useless?

Test 3:
TSH         0.94    (range 0.4-5.50)
***Above TSH it says "TSH w/Fre T$ rfx"  -- don't know what this means -- no value here, only next to TSH.  Different test?

Test 4:
TSH         1.19    (don't have range, but assume it's similar to above)

Doctors say they are checking my thyroid and the TSH comes back normal so that's as far as they go.

If the TSH is low normal shouldn't my Free T4 be higher?  Is it okay here?  What about if I'm having all these symptoms?  Should I have something else tested.

Thank you for your help -- I know it's lot of info to look through, but I appreciate all your feedback.
Over the course of the last year, I have been fighting a losing battle with weight and puffiness over my eyes along with a variety of symptoms such as irritability, joint pain and terrible dry skin. I am 5'4' and weigh 170lbs.  Over the past year I have gained 30lbs. despite attending an aerobics class 5 times a week and attending weight watchers classes. I have never been overweight, even after having four children.   All these symptoms were blamed on, of course, my age and hormones.  Recently, I had occasion to go to the Emergency Room with palpitations.  I have had these for numerous years, and after exhaustive testing, these were diagnosed as harmless.  All tests returned normal except for my thryoid test.  My TSH was 12.9.  My cardiologist gave me levothyroxin (levothyroxine) 50mcg.  I was told that I would be feeling better in no time.  Well, I'm not feeling better at all.  I feel exhausted all the time, and the joint pain is making it almost impossible to continue my aerobic classes.  I was always an upbeat person, but now I'm irritable and weepy all the time.  Are these symptoms normal and if they are how long do they take to subside.  My doctor told me he doesn't need to see me for 3 months.  When I called his office, he told me that it takes time for the medication to "kick in".  Thanks for any info you can give.
iam so glad i found this website. how long does it take to adjust the medication in my body,they just lowered my dose.iam getting hyper,again. i want to feel good. but i guess it will never be the same again.thank u for ur time doctor. tm
Just had more thyroid tests done, I increased my own levothyroxine from 37.5 to 50, here's the result: tsh 1.62, total T3 1.18, freeT3 2.70, freeT4 0.92. This was after 1 month of the dose increase (which was 2/2) I must say that i feel great & did this without any help from my endo! I will have more thyroid tests in about 8 weeks. I am not going back to my present endo, i have an appointment 4/3 but will be cancelling. I have heard of 2 good endos in my area & may be seeing one if I run into problems. And ace_75 your tsh of 1.11 & negative antibodies sounds normal but i know you're still not happy, i'd get a 2nd opinion too which is what you're doing, your number may be perfect for some folks then again may not be for others. Good luck to you & stay in touch!
after 2 years my thyroid level went up a bit. could it be thyroid cancer? what are the sign .pleae help.mj
Dear Ella1,
Your situation sounds like what I have been through lately.  Last summer, I had heart palpitations and achy joints, weight that kept increasing no matter what I did. For the last 6 years  I had been working out at least 5 days a week weight training and cardio.  The cardiologist concluded that I had palpitations because of coffee and to switch to decaf even though I told him that I only have one cup in the morning and the palpitations happen mostly at night.  The Doctor I went to for the joint pain ordered lots of blood tests and concluded that I did not have arthritis.  Her diagnosis was that I was just getting old (I am 47) and not to work out so hard.  The tests did include a TSH test that was 5.47.  She said that was normal but that I had a high antibody count and that my thyroid would eventually go out. By October my heart felt like a bag of popcorn in the microwave.  I was weepy, tired all the time and had developed agoraphobia and panic attacks and 15 more pounds.
My husband took me to my Gyn and she did tests that showed a higher TSH but still would not prescribe anything but antidepressants. So he took me to an Urgent care doctor that started me on 75cmg of Levoxyl.  I started feeling better but I am not myself yet.  I just found an Internist who understands.  He is letting ME up my dosage every 2 weeks until I FEEL BETTER.  Yes, Ella, it does take a while but 3 months is too long and what is a normal reading for one person could feel very bad to another. You can feel better.  You just need to find a doctor who will help.  I thought I was completely falling apart.  Now I know that it is all my thyroid and I have hope.
Good Luck
I've had Hashimoto Thyroiditis for over 10 years, had goiter etc. in that time. I recently had a test done and they told me my TSH was 0.32-I get confused of the numbers, what's good or bad. Someone correct me if I'm wrong-the lower the number, the more the thyoid hormone in the system which means less Synthoid needed? The higher the number the lower the amount of hormone in the system and more Synthroid is needed?
What are the test numbers based on? (from what number to what number)
I'm on other meds as well for Lupus and I swear I can't get the dose right lately, they have me all messed up-I gained over 30 pound in 3 months HELP ME!!!!!
I'm ready to take the whole bottle in hopes of losing some of this weight!.
All comments and suggestions are welcomed! Thank you!
Susan, I also have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  I had a small goiter, also.  Your TSH should be around 0, which yours is.  If it is around zero, then your thyroid will not be putting out any hormone; this means it is sufficiently suppressed.  With Hashimoto's, you want to suppress your thyroid from making any hormone, because with Hashi's, you tend to develop nodules (which could become cancerous), so when you suppress your thyroid activity, it slows down making these nodules.  It's really best if your TSH is 00.00, and you are almost there. However, most doctors disagree and when it is around zero, they think you are hyperthyroid and are either taking too much thyroid or your thyroid is making too much.  May doctors, researchers and others disagree, thank goodness.  The lower the TSH, the more thyroid hormone in the system, so that means whatever thyroid supplement you are taking is probably about the right amount.  Hypothyroidism is treated very conservatively in this country, meaning, it is undertreated most of the time and our symptoms never go away.  DO NOT take the whole bottle of Synthroid.  There is a problem with Synthroid.  If you will read the insert that comes with your prescription, it will state that people do not lose weight with it.  Duh!  That should be telling us something.  Synthroid is only T-4.  We need T-4 and T-3.  Armour Thyroid has been used for at least 50 years with no side effects, and women kept the weight off, did not have fibromyalgia, hair loss, goiter, etc.  Then, the wise pharmaceutical companies decided to make the synthetics, and many women were switched to Synthroid.  They started gaining weight and having all sorts of symptoms of low thyroid.  So they asked for their Armour back, and got back to normal.  You should really think about it. Check out Mary Shoman's site.  She's a genius at this stuff.  I'm going to tell you a real story.  My sister is one and a half years older than I.  She was always lean, and since she had a total hysterectomy many years ago, she wasn't getting estrogen, which often messes with the thyroid.  She became hyperthyroid, her doctor removed it, and she became hypothyroid.  She gained 120 lb on a 5 foot 1 inch frame.  After consulting with Mary Shoman and getting on natural Armour thyroid, bio-identical estrogen in a gel that she rubs on her skin, testosterone spray and adrenal support (her adrenals had failed, also), she has lost 120 lb.  She never exercises or diets.  She is 54 years old.  I would also say if you gained over 30 lb that fast, some of it could be water, and you might have either low B6 or congestive heart failure.  If you take certain cholesterol-blocking drugs, they might be blocking your co-enzyme Q-10, a deficiency of which is the main cause of congestive heart failure. If your heart is under-performing, you would build up fluid.  Don't be alarmed, because that is probably not the deal.  Also, most cases of fluid retention are caused by insufficient Vitamin B-6 in the diet.  Vitamin B-6 is the most common vitamin deficiency in women.  Take 50 - 100 mg. per day.  DO NOT take more than 100 mg. as it could cause nerve damage.  But don't take B6 by itself.  You need to take it with the other B vitamins. Buy a bottle of B-50 or B-100. If it says B complex only, it might only have 1 or 2 mg. of B6, so look at the label and see if each of the B vitamins (B1, B2, B6, niacin, etc.) has at least 50 mg. in the pill (folic acid and B 12 will be in micrograms - mcg - instead of milligrams). Mary Shoman saved my sister's life.  Really.  Good luck.  

Janine Jordan

Susan, when I said don't take the whole bottle of Synthroid, I meant, don't take the whole bottle at once!  You don't want to stop  it cold turkey, though!  When I read my post, it looked like I was telling you not to take it at all.  Synthroid does suppress some symptoms, so you should only stop taking it if you are under doctor's guidance and substituting something else, such as Armour Thyroid for the Synthroid, or are getting your thyroid levels ad TSH tested regularly. If I miss one dose of my Armour Thyroid (or Synthroid, when I was taking it), both of my arms start hurting from elbow to fingertip, so bad I can't even write!  And I had a very hard time doing pushups (I'm in the National Guard and have to exercise to stay in). As long as I take my thyroid (in whatever form), I don't have that horrible pain. It was diagnosed as fibromyalgia, but it went away as soon as I started thyroid supplements.

Janine Jordan
Is it possible for your tsh levels to go up once you have started to take medication?
Hello - new to site as of today. 51 yr old female -

Just got new TSH levels - 20.28 yesterday. My endo changed meds to synthroid, 137mcg. Have gained 30lbs in 2 months. Will this
help??
Hi I am new to this site today and have some questions.  I am going to my doctor on May 1st for my annual exam and I am planning on asking her to test my thyroid.  It will be my first visit with this doctor and I am hoping she will be understanding but I am not counting on it.  I had a thyroid test a couple of years ago but it came back "normal".  Since I didn't know much about it I didn't ask any questions and I don't even know what the level was.  My aunt, mother both have thyroid disorders and possibly my cousin as well, but she hasn't been diagnosed.  I am 26 and have steadily been loosing hair for about 5 or 6 years now, I have very dry skin, I am always tired and sluggish, I have been having crying and depression spells, my periods have become very irregular, I have steadily gained weight since my 2nd child was born but recently gained almost 10 pounds in about 2 weeks, my hands and feet swell very often and I also have coarse and brittle hair and nails, I could go on and on.  I understand that it may not be my thyroid but it seems the most likely.  I am just wondering what I should ask my doctor to test and what I should make of the levels when I get them back.  My husband is military so lets just say sometimes the care isn't the greatest but I am really hoping for some results.  He is getting out of the Army in a couple of months so I really want to try to start to resolve this before he gets out and I have to find new health insurance.  Any advice?
Hi, I have a question. In 3/99 I had my thyroid removed. It was enlarged to the point that it surrounded the carotoid artery. The doctors put me on Synthroid at 200 MCG daily, and to this point has been working real well for me. When I had my TSH levels check in October of last year, my level was 0.70 and I felt pretty good. I recently had my levels checked again, and they are 0.13 and wondered why I wasn't able to lose weight, with diet and extreme excercise. I either didn't lose any weight or would put on a pound or two. I haven't been feeling myself lately, very fatigued, but my sleep is very broken, and I'm so cold all the time. My doctor has now changed my Synthroid to 175 MCG. What would make my levels change after all this time?
I'm back folks, here's my recent labs: TSH 0.75, total T3 1.17, total T4 6.90, free T3 3.00. I must say I am feeling pretty good with the exception of sweating i've been having (for the past 2 weeks)but now to a lesser degree which had me worried, thank god no heart palps, chest discomfort or brain fog, if I start to notice those then i will decrease the levothyroxine, one thing for sure i WILL NOT increase! For now I think I have found the right dose which is 50mcg, if i lower it i will go back to a 37.5. I'm also having more labs done in 6 weeks. Best of luck to all of you as well.
sorry if this a repeat question, but I don't understand the levels of TSH and T4.  2 years ago I had a TSH of 2.96 and a T4 of 7.4.  Are those on the low side? I was prescribed 5mcg of Cytomel by female hormone doctor Erika Schwartz.  A year later, my TSH was 2.62 and my regular internist wanted me off the meds.  I said that I didn't get my PMS depression since on the cytomel but I still have muscle aches and arthritic like joint pain upon rising in the morning.  Also, and I think this may be important, I have been exhausted every morning, on the couch until about 1 pm after 8 hours of sleep and by 4 pm to 11 pm, I'm zipping around the house like I'm on speed that I need to take a valium at times to shut my brain down. My facial skin has also gotten very oily with enlarged pores and blackheads. I saw a Discovery program last night regarding a woman with elevated evening cortisol levels which eventually was diagnosed with Cushings. I've gained about 20 lbs (abdomen mostly although I have uterine fibroids) in a relatively short amount of time and high blood pressure.  My overall cholesterol has gone up 20 points in 6 months and I'm exercising more and eating better. I'm just wondering if I don't have a cortisol problem.  All my problems started about 3 years ago when I had marital problems and had adrenaline running thru me most of the time and I was taken of birth control pills because all of the sudden I had high blood pressure. (One week after getting of the BC pills, my weight went up 7 lbs.) Did I burn out my adrenals? I'm on blood pressure meds but my diastolic is still quite high. Help!!!!!
Nikim- I wanted to tell you what happened to me because you sound exactly like me!!  I thought that I without a doubt had a thyroid problem (dry skin, cold all the time, hair falling out, tired all the time, etc.) so I went to our family doctor.  He tested my thyroid levels and said that I was perfectly fine.  I felt stupid for going to the doctor and just figured it was all in my head. About 1/2 year later I found out I was pregnant (meanwhile, the symptoms I was having never went away) My OB (best doctor in the whole world) found a lump in my neck at my first prenatal visit and ordered an ultrasound and a biopsy.  Turns out- I have thyroid cancer.  They said I have had it for quite some time- 7.5cm tumor on one side of my thyroid and a bunch of little tumors on the other side.  I had surgery to remove my thyroid, the tumors, and lymph nodes because they had cancer in them too.  I still have some cancer left that they couldn't remove, but sometime this month I will be having the radioactive iodine treatment.  Please go to the doctor again.  Get an ultrasound done of your neck.  Let me know.
my t4 level was .9 and for tsh 6.04 in feb.
in may it for t4 it was 1.1 and tsh it was 6.42
doc says i could be showing precursor to hypothyroism but doesnt want to give me anything until i get checked again in 3 months, so i went to another doc to get checked for something else and she say my chart and she got worried and asked me why i wasnt on meds. so should i be worried or start on meds? one doc says wait and see if it levels and another one says you need meds.
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum.  I suffered a bout of subacute thyroiditis about 10 years ago and have been hypothyroid ever since.  After 2 kids and 5 years of a grueling residency I find myself about 65 lbs overweight.  I am horrified to admit that I haven't been taking care of myself, no exercise, awful diet, way too much stress and noncompliance with my meds.  So much so that my last recorded TSH was 234, one year ago.  Yes, I typed in 234, no typo there.  The lab even repeated it.  My dose is 0.2 mg of synthroid, which I have been taking now.  I am confused by the info that Atkins will actually slow your metabolism.  I want to start an exercise and diet program and would really appreciate any advice.  Thanks
I had a baby about 4 months ago and I work at the hospital....it was so weird all of the sudden (and maybe it was there prior but i had just noticed it) i had this swollen neck and I had never had a problem (that I knew of) with thyroid so since I work at the hospital the docs drew my blood and sent the levels off.  Next thing you know chemistry calls with a critical on my TSH levels. From what I have read, normal is about 3...mine was 53.5.  So i kinda panicked but they just prescribed me synthroid .05mg....You know I had wondered why for the past few weeks I felt sooo badly.  When I read all the symptoms everything made sense!
If it would help you regarding info on the atkins diet i can fill you in on my husbands experiences with it, he lost 10 lbs in a week (but he was religious which you have to be) that was several years ago, he's put the weight back on because he went off it, but since then hes tried south beach with much success. So both diets do work.
hi, i have had underactive thyroid since 2001 and have been taking between 175-150mcg thyroxine daily. Now recent tests appear to show levels are high. The figures given to me were- I am at 27 (27 what?) and levels should be between 22-25. if anyone can explain these figures, i would be grateful.
Hello Everyone!  I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism.  My TSH was 76 and Free T4 of .51.  I don't think my doctor (GP) is as familiar with the disease as I am comfortable with, but she is studying it.  I should probably go to an endo?  I am on .1 mg Synthroid, but feel better when I take a pill and a half... I am supposed to go back to have my levels checked in about three weeks.  I've been on the Synthroid for three weeks and have already lost 26 pounds (20 of it I had put on in four weeks, which is why I went to the doctor to begin with).  I guess my question is, is a TSH level of 76 really high?  And what about the free T4 level of .51?  The doctor seemed astounded.  She kept asking me, "Arent you really tired?"  I told her if I sat for more than five minutes I would just fall asleep.  After being on the Synthroid for a few weeks, my joint and muscle aches are gone, and I have more energy now than I've had in the past three years!  I feel so amazingly good I am just beside myself.  Mostly all my symptoms are gone except the depression and that seems to be up and down constantly.  My main concern at this point is that I seem to have sleep apnea as I'm going to sleep... I keep waking up thinking I am not breathing.  Is this normal???  It's pretty scary to the point where I almost try to sleep sitting up in bed.  Thanks for lisetning!  This is all so new to me... this is a great forum.
Greetings...i had thyroid cancer last august and had my thyroid removed.  Since then I've been on Synthroid, which has been increased twice by my dr.  Last week the Dr changed my meds to Armour thyroid and she called today to tell me that my TSH level was 19 and I have a B12 deficiency.  Basically she told me to take a multi vitamin and I should feel better. Everything I've read doesnt make me feel hopeful.  I'm constantly tired, depressed gaining weight and dont know what to do.  I should tell you that my Dr is an endro and yet she didnt discover my thyroid cancer - my dermatologist discovered it.  I dont knopw what to do anymore.  I hate the way I feel and have no energy to resume my exercise routine prior to being diagnosed.  Any suggestions or words of wisdom....
Hi everyone,
I just found this sight today.
My 5 year old son has been having extreme reactions to heat lately.  He gets weak, slurs his speech, etc.  So they have been running tests.  I got some of them back and and his TSH is 6.23 and his testosterone levels are under 10 (normal 237-770). Of course he is young, so from what I can see, his testosterone levels should be 100-200.  We are still waiting on T3 and T4 results.  Does any of this make any sense to anyone.  I can't handle this not knowing anything and not hearing from the Dr.
How long does it usually take to get T3 and T4 results back?
Thanks for any help
Hello everyone
This is my first time here..I have been dealing with hypo thyroid
for about 13yrs my TSH level has never been in normal range
I have been as high as 639 and I am now at 47.6 they just keep playing with my dosage of Levothroxine (levothyroxine) im currently takeing
300mcg and they have never sent me to see a endo(doctor)
I have put on 40lbs in about 3months so now they want to put me on antidepressants should I refuse the antidepressant at least until they get my levels within normal range(if they ever do)
I would appreciate any and all advise
                                               Thanks Sincerly
                                                 OverTired
OverTired, I guess!

Being over hypo can be just as dangerous as being over hyper.

Why don't they add a second pill to your already 300 to kick it up? Or is the 47.6 when on 300 mcg and how long have you been on that does??  

Have you had the FTs checked? Just curious what they are.

I'd be in a coma if my TSH was that high - I'm surprised you arn't! 639 eeks!

If they can't get you into Lab range and fast, try a thyroidologist or an Endo who works with many thyroid patients per year - most deal with and are more experienced in diabetes then thyroid issues.

Good luck!
am tsh is 0.72 any idears is that good or bad level from dorothy
I have been hyperthyroid for at least 5 mos now--and recent TSH and panel shows TSH is undetectable and my T3 is over 300.  I just had an RAIU and at 24 hrs my uptake was 50.1%.  I'm supposed to see and Endo this afternoon but no one can tell me what the antibody labs say.  I had a TSH and panel, CBC, LP, CMP, and the Ab for Hashi's and Graves.  CBC within normal limits, LP only 150 with HDL at top end of normal at 57.  What is wrong with me? Without the Atenolol and HCTZ i can't function and recently was put on 5mg diazapam for the anxiety. What do you think?
P.S. I'm 5'6" and 237--I've lost 20 pounds since April.
my tsh is 28.86 , it was 86.6 a month ago, im on armour 60 and my free t3 is 2.4 and  free t4 is 0.41  my dr says to hang in there, but i feel so bad all the time, i take ativan to help, but she wants me to take lexapro and i dont want to, i just want to be healthy again.  help if you can
A related discussion, tsh levels was started.
A related discussion, TSH and possible thyroid problem was started.