Thyroid Disorders Community
7.7 cm nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

7.7 cm nodule

Hello- I am a 35 y/o female.  Looking at pictures of myself a few months ago I noticed my neck was bigger on one side than it was on the other.  To make a long story shorter, I have a 7.7 cm cold nodule on my right side.  I had an ultrasound and a thyroid uptake scan.  All of my thyroid labs are normal.  I saw the endo doctor last week, he is doing a needle biopsy this week.  Both my regular doctor and the endo doctor said there is a "real concern" given the size of my nodule.  I can't believe that I've not noticed this earlier.  Now that I know about it, it seams like it's causing all kinds of problems.  I can't breath when I lie flat on my back, I cant lift my arms above my head with out almost passing out.  They are telling me to expect surgery reguardless of results of the biopsy.  Which actually I am fine with.  My question is, could this very large nodule actually not be cancer?  Because, I can't imagine that it would get to be this large, and the doctors would express so much concern for me, if it wasn't cancer.  So, I pretty much am expecting the cancer diagnosis.  But of course, it would be great if it wasn't.  I'm handling it all pretty well right now, a little freaked about the biopsy tomarrow, but overall ok so far.
I had a 9cm tumore removed about 9 years ago.  Non malignant.  Unfortunatly I have had a major problem with the parathyroids that completly stopped working.  Ended up back in the hospital in CCU for a week on liquid calcium.  I felt it was very important that I had the tumor removed and do not regret it but wished that the Doctors had told me what could happen and what I have to do now because of that situation.  Then I could have made an informed decision.
My cousin had a 6cm mass removed.  I am bringing this up because she had a needle biopsy done that showed it was noncancerous.  A few weeks later she had the mass removed and when biopsied they found pappilary cancer cells.  Not to scare you but a needle biopsy is not 100% accurate.
I understand you are freaked out, I am basically in your same shoes right now with a 4.5cm mass.  I appreciate knowing about my cousins experience because it helps me feel stronger about my decision to have my thyroid removed.
Thank you for your post.  I am not actually counting on the biopsy to give me the answers that I need, knowing that many have had false neg's.  Unfortunitly the surgeon won't proceed without it.  They have also said they wont take the entire thyroid unless the needle biopsy shows cancer.  I think at this point given the size of this single large nodule, I would rather have them just take everything.  The thought of having to have a second surgery, if it shows cancer after they take only the mass out, just makes my crazy.  I get it, why take a perfectly functioning thyroid out, when they can just remove the nodule?  That would avoid a lifetime of taking medicine.  But, my thought --- I have this huge mass in my neck, that is growing on my thyroid, that could or could not be cancer.  Take it all out and save me a life time of worrying.  Life time of medicine or life time of worrying?  I think I know what I wouldn't want.  To bad my doctors dont agree with me.