Thyroid Disorders Community
Can I take anacids

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Can I take anacids

I have a quick question.  How soon after taking my levothyroxin (levothyroxine) can I take anacids?  I usually wait 1/2 hr to 1 hr. to eat but I usually get indigestion shortly thereafter and have been taking tums. It occured to me last night that maybe that was one of the things you have to wait over 4 hours to take.  Would anyone know about this.  What can't we take until hours after the pill?   Linda
Hi again Linda

I was told not to take Antacids while taking antithyroid as they line the stomach & can interfere with absorbtion.
I know my  medication is different, but getting your medication in your system is important, so my advice would be.... Dont take the antacids until you've spoken to a pharmacist/or doctor to check.

I have been told the same when taking other tablets in the past for other things.
Jen
Hi Linda,

I was taking tums as calcium supplement right after my thyroidectomy, when I was also on synthroid.  I know I was told to be careful about the timing for taking antacid after taking synthroid as the calcium in the antacid absorbs the synthroid, making it less effective (that might not be the exact medical explanation, but it is what I came away with).  I remeber taking the synthroid around 5 a.m., and took the antacid around 8 a.m. and didn't have any problems.

Hope that helps you out!
Thank you both for your answers.  I called the pharmacist and he said to wait 2 hours before I take the tums after I take the medicine.  He said 3 at first and then said he guessed two would be ok.  I think I do need to be careful about how many I take also.  I wonder if this may be part of my problem in my meds as I have been taking tums all along and not waiting 2 hrs or more.  I also take papaya tabs for digestion.  I didn't ask about that.  Gosh there is more to this than I thought.   linda
take hours away from t4 thyroid meds. like at least 6 hours.  calcium as well.
Wow I have always taken them whenever.  I will be much more careful.  I also have been thinking about going for an endoscopy as I have stomach pain everyday. I don't want to take protonix for my stomach.  When I take it I don't get any  pain but I don't think it should be taken forever.  I got a post from patient x that the thyroid slows down or speeds up the digestive tract according to hypo or hyper but I don't know what that is doing to my insides.  I have been diagnosed with many food allergies and really having been doing much about it.  thanks for your input.  linda