Thyroid Disorders Community
HORRIBLE RIB PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

HORRIBLE RIB PAIN

For the past 6 months or so i get a random rib pain and its only at night time when im laying down, randomly about once a week i get a really painful pain in my rib area and it makes it so i cant sleep because the pain is so bad it doesnt matter how i lay the pain stays the same and it usually last for about 5 hours or more.
does anyone have any idea what this could be?
Maybe someone playing voodoo on you? Just kidding!!!!!! It could be a pinched nerve. My friend has a sensitive spot since he had surgery near his ribs. He gets the same pain you mention. His doctor said it can be referred pain, meaning it is actually starting elsewhere like an out of whack shoulder...the nerves run along the rib cage then into the spine so this is logical.
   Maybe the common sense thing to do is try sleeping elsewhere for  few nights and see if the pain is still there. Before I bought my new mattress, my hip and back would kill if I laid on the old one...so I slept on the couch.. magic..no pain...but took me nearly a year to figure out I needed a new mattress...d'oh!
  Anyways.. there are two ideas  which I hope help you in the quest to solve the pain problem!
Cheers!
i have slept in diffrent places and the pain is still there it just doesnt happen very often
my mom had the same pain that i have so i think that is weird to
Right or Left side?  In case I don't get back today on your post .. was thinking gallbladder??

C~
its across my whole ribs not just one side
Is it your upper rib cage or lower rib cage area? Just the front or in the back as well?
Hello neighbor! (I'm from Yelm.) If the pain is in the lower half of your ribcage, the pain is probably from a GI (upper gut) origin..This can be anything from trapped gas, a hiatal hernia, gallbladder problems, an intususseption (? on spelling) (small intestine telescopes partially within itself), gastric valve problems, liver problems, or even kidney stones...Without knowing if there are any other related symptoms or where the pain is exactly and what kind of pain (sharp, dull, constant, pressure, intermittent, etc) and if anything relieves it, it is difficult to tell...For example, have you noticed if it occurs if you eat just before you go to bed? If so, is it related to what you eat? (Like ice cream or something with a high fat or dairy content.) ...Are you more than 30 lbs overweight? (Higher chance of hiatal hernia if so.) Does the pain increase when you take a breath in? Have you ever had spinal problems or fractures? -So many questions!...~MM
i am not overweight i am in my weight range. the pain is in my upper rib area all the way across it always happens at night. it is a really sharp pain and it feels like intense pressure trying to push my ribs outwards.
Prolotherapy will take care of it...homeopathics for it are:
calc.phos 6X /kali phos 6X (for nerves)/silicea and calc fluor 6X.
Dr.Howard
Dr.Howard
Hi rib pain can be attributed to gerd/acid reflux.
Not everyone gets the typical symptoms...rib pain is a symptom as well as diff in breathing.

U may want to ask ur dr about this and stop by the gerd forum and read some of the threads as well as the health pages.

good luck
"selma"