Mycoplasma and Graves
I saw a post on this yesterday that mentions a new attitude for the treatment of Graves symptoms from Dr. David Brownstein. Has anyone looked into more about antibiotic treatment? Interesting reading at :http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/brownstein.htm.

Anyone care to comment or had any realife experience with this kind of approach?

Mary Shomon interviewing a doctor(of something) selling two books leaves me a little sceptical.

I'd like to see a few studies and a scientific paper published in an acredited medical journal.

But then, I've got no horse in this race.
I just can't put much into a long term antibiotic treatment. A big problem we have now is the proliferation of antibotic resistant "bugs" because of overuse. Your body would be adapting to the drug and the intial effect would deminish.....so the long term thing to me seems strange.

I would have thought that there would be more opinions posted.

Oh well, I'll just have to stir it up somewhere else!
No, stir it right here.

I agree with you completely.
Antibiotics are effective for Mycoplasma infections.

Mycoplasma frequently causes waliking pneumonia and genital STD's.

Mycoplasma can sometimes affect the heart and brain. Again, antibiotics are effective and I have never seen a mainstream medical article that says the organism is able to hide deep from the antibiotics. Or that it can effect the thyroid.

I am a microbiologist, if that matters to this topic. ;)
Now we're getting somewhere.
I was referring to this article:
David Brownstein, M.D.: In conventional medicine, there is no explanation for why autoimmune disorders (e.g., Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hashimotos’, Graves, Thyroiditis, etc) occur. If you don’t understand the cause of an illness, then how can you fashion an appropriate treatment regimen?

My experience has shown that many individuals suffering from autoimmune illnesses often have an underlying infectious component. The idea of an infectious cause of arthritis has been around since 1899, when a form of arthritis in cattle was diagnosed as being caused by a bacterium. In humans, this idea was further developed in the 1930’s by a rheumatologist, Dr. Thomas Brown. Dr. Brown was able to isolate a bacterium, Mycoplasma Bacterium, from the joints of people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. After isolating the bacteria, Dr. Brown began treating his patients with antibiotics directed against this bacterium, and he noticed an interesting phenomenon. His patients actually improved. At that time, people with rheumatoid arthritis did not improve with conventional medicine (which is similar to what happens today with rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with conventional medicine).

When I read Dr. Brown’s research, I immediately began thinking about my patients who were suffering from autoimmune illnesses, including thyroid patients. I began testing my patients for bacterial infections 8 years ago, and I discovered a significant portion of these patients had signs of an infection. In the case of thyroid patients (i.e., those with Graves, Hashimotos’ or thyroiditis), the infection was located in the thyroid gland.

In my experience, 80% of patients with autoimmune arthritic disorders (i.e., Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus, Sjogren’s, etc) and approximately 70% of those with autoimmune thyroid disorders (i.e., Graves,’ Hashimotos’, thyroiditis) have signs of an infection. This made perfect sense to me. Perhaps these individuals had a bacterial infection (e.g., Mycoplasma) that the body was not able to clear. Mycoplasmas are a very small bacterium that can actually get inside of the cells of the body. Because of this, the immune system cells are unable to directly attack the bacteria. In order to rid the body of the bacteria, the immune system cells will often resort to attacking the body’s own tissue, which has been infected with the organism.

In the example of thyroid infections, in order to get at the infection, the body will produce antibodies against its own thyroid gland. This would explain why the thyroid gland becomes inflamed in autoimmune thyroid illnesses, as well as why the body would produce antibodies against a particular gland. I believe this hypothesis holds true for many autoimmune disorders.
I can tell you for a fact that my thyroid is infected.

If anti-biotic treatments were successfull, wouldn't high doses be more practical? Why does it take long term low dose treatment and two books to be effective?

Why isn't big pharmaceudical all over this?
This certainly sounds like a possibility.

The same is said about Lyme Disease. My blood tests are negative x3 over several years. I have wondered if there is a reason for this. Then I read some non-mainstream literature that said that the bacteria can change forms and hide out in the body.

Now I have a top notch endo say that I could still have Neurologic Lyme with negative tests. It may take a spinal tap to prove the infection is present.

I think science will continue to come up with many new theories for the cause of disease. Sometimes the mainstream scientists aren't the first to come up with a new theory.

I would just personally we wary of trying a cure of long term antibiotics for a disease that hasn't been proven to be caused by a microorganism. There are also proponents for long term antibiotics for Lyme Disease.

I think it is certainly a possibility, but will wait for more concrete research.
Good point about the pharmaceutical companies, AR.

I have been on many, many antibiotics over the last 10 years for sinusitus. Unfortunately.

My thyroid should have been cured by now according to the theory.
Your post was well thought out and gave me things to mull over, kitty.

If some doctor found a cure for Rheumatoid Arthritis in what, the 30's? how did that slip through the medical cracks?
He was just ignored?
Is that possible?
I think if a theory doesn't have enough funding to make into a mainstream journal, it will fall by the wayside, possibly.

It may have seemed like a crack pot idea at the time and was ignored.....
DLA
If you really think about it, to me anyway, it makes sense.  Once we have an AI our health is never the same again.  I am constantly sick with everything that the wind blows up.  Constant fight with sinus infections, candida, bladder infections, and of course the colds, flu, and yearly case of pneumonia.

Also most of us end up with more than one AI.  The average is said to be 3 once you have the first.  But most of us just seem to get sicker all the time.  Will be interesting to keep an eye on this and see if anything comes to it.

Think they need to do more research into this.

Of course, everyone knows that stem cells can cure all of these AI's, don't you.  They have been doing it in animals for a couple of years now.  They take fat from the animal's hip and extract the stem cells from it.  Put them back where they are needed and whala!  They can do this in animals b/c there is no restriction on veterinary medicine like there is on human medicine and 90 years of trials.  Doesn't make sense when stem cells can be extracted from your own body, they're already there, so why do they have to be approved?
I have found mycoplasma when working with thyrocyte culture in dishes. They can infect thyrocytes and induce cell death.