Natural Alternatives for Treatment of Graves/Hyperthyroid
I am looking for anyone who can shed some light on sucess using Natural treatment options for Hyperthyroidism? My wife has been up and down with Graves for the past 13yrs and it is back with a vengance.  The endo want to do Iodine to remove her thyroid but we are skeptical.  Thoughts????
I am treating my Hashimoto's naturally through diet - no gluten, dairy, yellow corn, soy, and low sugars, plus lots of lean organic protein and veggies. My thyroid swelling is gone. I am also taking thyroid hormone because by the time I discovered this diet, my thyroid was mostly dead. Read my journal for more.

MacMillian Nelson avoided RAI and is feeling great by following the blood type diet. If you send him questions, he will be happy to share his story.

:) Tamra
My Graves and Hyperthyroidism went undetected for 26 years and yes..mine too came back with a vengeance.
So much so , that my levels were uncontrollable and I nearly died from it.
Your wife is at risk of thyroid storm (atrial fibrillation) if her levels arent kept under control.
Also while on anti-thyroid meds (I presume your wife is)...the liver enzymes increase hence damaging the Liver if on for a long period of time.
Other orans too are at risk of deterioation if the Graves isnt kept under control...such as the kidneys, heart etc.

You havent stated what her antibody level is or her FT3/FT4 and TSH but be assured that Graves and Hyperthyroidism will only get worse untreated.

I had RAI 2 years ago and havent looked back...it isnt as bad as you think.
I dont think I could ever go back to those Hyper days :(
I agree with Deb...Graves' is nothing to mess around with.  Hyperthyroidism is more dangerous and more volatile than hypothyroidism.  Sometimes there just isn't the time to experiment before things get very serious.  If your wife's Graves' has come back with a vengeance, you may no longer have the luxury of the time to dabble in experimental treatments.
As I said earlier...the longer it is 'left', the more the antibodies progress and you can die from hyperthyroidism and Graves if not treated properly.
MacMillan has Plummers Disease which is a completely different 'ball game'.

I wouldnt reccommend anyhting for Graves and Hyperthyroidism other than anti-thyroid meds and/or permanant treatment.

Graves antibodies are with you for life...and regardless of what some think..you dont mess around with Hyperthyroidism.
It would have to be more dangerous than Hashimotos.

You only have one Heart and you only have one Liver....look after both and dont risk taking chances.
I would totally agree that one would not want to delay treatment with Graves Disease.  I don't have it, but I've read the horror stories; I'd much rather deal with the hypo/Hashi's.

While natural treatments are all the rage and work in some cases, for some people, there are those instances in which you can't take chances.  Being hyper, with Graves is one of those times.  
I changed to a lot of natural remedies many years ago but would never even contemplate trying to treat Graves and Hyperthyroidism with natural remedies.
Graves is for Life......the antibodys attack the thyroid all the while the thyroid is there.
The only way to truly stop them attacking the thyroid is ablation or removal in Graves.
Any other treatment is just a Bandaid...and it comes back twice as bad if left.