Thyroid Disorders Community
Radioactive iodine scan - what happens?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Radioactive iodine scan - what happens?

Hi all I am having this scan tomorrow to look at the little suspicious nodule that is on the remaining right lobe of my thyroid. (Had pt 6 weeks ago - mpc found). As some of you know, initially no treatment was suggested but then when this little thing appeared on a follow up u/s scan docs have now changed their tune.  If this small nodule comes back hot/cold it will determine whether I have to go back in to surgery to have the whole thing out. (TT).
I am not sure what this scan will show and am not sure how reliable it is - seems to be varying opinions on it's effectiveness ar detecting whether or not it is a good indicator of further pc's.
Anyway, what I would like to know is:
- Is it painful?
- Do you feel 'weird' after the radioactive stuff goes in?
- I am home by myself and have 12 yr old son - do I need to stay away from him tomorrow after school?
- What can the actually see?
- Will they look at the whole neck area?
- Will I be ok to drive etc afterwards?

SIlly questions I know but just worrying a bit about it now after trying to put it out of my mind for the last couple of weeks
Thanks anyone who can help
The diagnostic I-123 scan is not painful and I noticed no difference after injesting the dosage.  There is no need to isolate after receiving this dosage, only with a dosage of I-131, which is the treatment version of RAI.  The I-123 is an isotope that can be picked up by a gamma camera and will illuminate thyroid tissue in your body.  At my scan they looked at my entire body both before and after my RAI treatment to evaluate where they wanted the treatment dose to go.  You might just be getting pictures of your throat area to determine if the other nodule is a "wait and see" type or a "let's get it out" type.  You will defnitely be able to drive afterwards.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks shannon - I have been told they are only going to look at the neck area.  I wonder how much of the neck they will look at though?  Will they look at the lymphs?
Thanks so much for your reassuring comments
J
The diagnostic I-123 scan is not painful and I noticed no difference after taking the dosage.  I felt as if I had just taken a tylenol.  There is no need to isolate after receiving this dosage, because you will only recive a small amount.

The RAI I-131is the treatment version.  You might just be get pictures of your throat area to determine if the other nodule is a "wait and see" type or a "let's get it out" type.  You will defnitely be able to drive afterwards and there was no pain for me.  I actually did the scan and went back to work right afterwards.

So you should be fine.

Best of luck to you and take care!

Terri
Thank you so much - very reassuring!!
I'm off to bed now - it's almost midnight here in England.  I do hope after tomorrow that this will all be at an end, if not well...............
I'll just have to wait and see I guess
'night all
J x
When I had the tracer dose they said to stay away from pregnant women and small children for 24 hours.
I had a dose this last monday followed by a scan on tuesday and another scan on wednesday. it dosent hurt at all. its actually a nice rest for an hous as they do it. the only problem i had was that i couldnt pick up my 1 yr old daughter until that thursday.(he wanted to be safe) u have to use a different bathroom (if possible..which we didnt have..so i had to flush 3 times after every use) they tell ya not to kiss anyone for the first 3 days. i was telling everyone i was a walking weapon and was tryin to think of enemies i could have come over for a smoochin session..lol..its not that bad.. when i went in on wed the tec. pulled out a lil machine that measured radiation and i was still a little radioactive..u have nuthin to worry about. good luck..