Thyroid Disorders Community
Swollen eyes from hypothyroidism or not?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

I've had hypothyroidism for the last 17 years, and about 2 years ago, the skin between my eyebrows and eyelids became swollen. My doctor says it's from allergies, but I only have seasonal allergies. I think it may be peri orbital edema. I've researched things about my thyroid for many years. I want to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of the puffiness. I also have type 2 diabetes. Any help is appreciated!
I have this with Graves.   It might be useful for you to get to an opththalmologist that is familiar with "thyroid eye disease" just to be evaluated.   As for practical measures, raising the head of your bed or sleeping on lots of pillows is the main one.   Sometimes this is made worse too by thyroid hormones becoming too low, could be worth looking at recent labs.   I hope it just goes away for you!
my eyes have been puffy, if you go from the inside of my eyes and  up, I believe its from my meds being to low, I was retaining alot of water, seems to be going away now that my levels are getting to were they should be.
Hypothyroidism cause swelling around the eyes due to "mucopolysaccharides hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate". I had this symptom myself and it only improved with thyroid medication.
I've been taking thyroid medication for years. My thyroid has only been functioning properly for the last 3 years because no other doctor could get it right! Lol. My eyes didn't start getting puffy until about a year and a half ago, maybe 2 years. The medication I'm on is working for me and has for the last 3 years. I just don't understand why my eyes are puffy now, after all of these years.
My levels have been where they should be for 3 years, but like I said, my eyes only began swelling a year and a half to 2 years ago. I've been on thyroid medication for the last 17-18 years and my thyroid has only been functioning properly for the last 3 years. I've always retained water, even before I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I just wish there was something I could do to get them to go back to normal. I've done the tea bags and cucumbers on my eyes, I've put cold sppons on my eyes, I've taken water pills, I elevate my head when I sleep and I just don't know what else I can do. My doctor seems to think it's from allergies, but I don't agree, and she is NOT a thyroid doctor. We don't have a thyroid doctor where I live, so it *****.
As you have type 2 diabetes, nephrotic syndrome is something to consider. The wikipedia article: Periorbital puffiness has a lot more information on causes.
I also have this swelling with Graves. I have mild thyroid eye disease.  They were really bad before I added T3 meds.  I still have puffiness, but much better. I notice they look a lot worse if I eat too much sugar, have too much dairy or drink too much alcohol.  I also have seen improvements since going gluten free. I take 1000mg flax seed oil and 200 mg selenium a day. I have some pics on my page that show the swelling when it was at it's worst.

Is your dr testing Free T3 & Free T4?
What meds are you taking now?