Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid biopsy suspicious

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid biopsy suspicious

My biopsy came back suspicious.  I just spoke to the Dr. over the phone, but she suggests my thyroid is removed.  I have set up a second opinion.  This way, if 2 doctors tell me the same thing, I will feel better.  Has anyone else gone for a second opinion?  I like my endocrinologist, but I feel better getting another opinion.
Hi and WELCOME.

Absolutely .. I even went to a non-surgeon (Endo) for an opinion that was neutral since they don't do surgery usually.

Suspicious for which cancer?  How large?  Do you have the report?

C~
Partial 1/07
papillary micros
I did not go for a second opinion after my FNA came back suspicious for pap. carcinoma and I REALLY wish I had!  I had my whole thyroid removed back in April and "no evidence of malignancy"  was found.  Had I gone for a 2nd, and maybe a 3rd opinion, I may still have my thyroid.  
Did they do a frozen biopsy during surgery?  Also, how large were your nodules and what type of cancer.

My frozen biopsy was non-cancer on the table so only half taken out and then 48hrs later they found 2 tiny micro's that were papillary elsewhere in the gland so I ended up with like 5 more opinions whether to have the other side out or not esp. since I have a 4.0mm stable nodule there.

The not knowing is rough, too, so you know you are ok and they are gone and cannot ever turn cancerous; that may help you.

C~
I had a single nodule that was 2.5cm.  The FNA report was "suspicious for papillary carcinoma".  Both my endo and surgeon said I had a 75% chance of it being cancer.  So I went ahead with the TT.  They did not do a frozen section during the surgery and I got my path results that there was no cancer about a week later.  While I do wish I had gotten a 2nd opinion beforehand, you are right in that I do feel comfort in knowing that I do not ever have to worry about there being cancer.  
Yeah .. I would try to hold onto the thought about no more worries ... but I do understand the feelings you have and they are very very normal.  I was told in my case that 25% chance even if benign it could turn into cancer -- that from the FNA ahead of time.  Mine were atypical follicular cancer.

C~
You can have the slide read by another pathologist.