Thyroid Disorders Community
What is the difference?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

What is the difference?

Just wondering what the difference between free t4 and just t4 is. is there a difference? also w/ t3 is there one? I got my labs back and my TSH was 1.40, T4 was 13.5 and T3 was 183. Also, has anyone been precribed antidepressants for a temporary use before getting thyroid in check? Any light anyone could shine on this for me would be helpful. Thanks.
If you are an estrogen female by whatever means, estrogen interferes with the T level, estrogen doesn't  interfere with FT.

From what I have read but not quite convinced, T-3 is just as accurate as FT-3.

The FT-4 measures the concentration of free thyroxine, the only biologically active fraction, in the serum. The free thyroxine is not affected by changes in concentrations of binding proteins such as TBG and thyroid binding prealbumin. Thus such conditions as pregnancy, or estrogen and androgen therapy do not affect the FT-4.

Total T4: Reflects the total amount of T4 present in the blood, i.e., the protein bound (unavailable) T4 and the Free T4. Note that high levels of estrogens (birth control pills or pregnancy) can increase the amount of the protein that binds T4; giving misleading elevated Total T4 values which can look like ‘hyperthyroidism’ when it is not.

A lot of us thyroidians are on antidepressants, this is not unusual, as thyroid can effect every aspect of our being including mind and emotions.  I graduated to anxiety meds. on an as need bases even though I do not suffer anxiety. Anything we can do that help us get through the ups and downs of thyroid the better off we will be, even if it is on a temporary bases.
I am trying to do a search on what an estrogen female is, but not having any luck. Would you happen to have a link? Thanks in advance!
Nnatural occurring estrogens  are present in both men and women, they are usually present at significantly higher levels in women of reproductive age.
Estrogen is a female hormone produced by the ovaries and functions as the primary female sex hormone. They promote the development of female secondary sex characteristics, such as breasts, and are also involved in the thickening of the endometrium and other aspects of regulating the menstrual cycle. In males estrogen regulates certain functions of the reproductive system important to the maturation of sperm  and may be necessary for a healthy libido.

Estrogens are used as part of some oral contraceptives, in estrogen replacement therapy of postmenopausal women, and in hormone therapy for transsexual women

If you need more info. google Estrogen

I know what Estrogen is (I have a medical background).

What do you mean when you say "if you are an estrogen female by any means, rely on free testing instead of totals".

All women have more estrogen than men. Do you just mean that it is more impotant for women to follow free levels than men?

Thanks.
I mean estrogen female by the explanation in my post above.  Natural or medicated.

No! females have MORE estrogen than men because they are built to have babies, are menstrual and have ovaries/female organs. Did they not go into this with your medical background or in high school.

F/male both should be tested with the FTs.
I know all this and more. Why the sarcasm?

What do you mean by the term "ESTROGEN FEMALE"?

We don't cal men "testosterone men". do we?

Your explanation above merely tells the definition of estrogen, which we already know.

"No! females have MORE estrogen than men because they are built to have babies, are menstrual and have ovaries/female organs"

I already said that women have more estrogen than men, why did you scream "NO"?

I think you have missed the question.