Thyroid Disorders Community
Why wait?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Why wait?

Like many people on Synthroid I usually can't wait for meals very long after taking the pills.  I was just curious why do we need to wait 30 minutes to an hour after taking our pills to eat?
It's my understanding that's how long it takes to get moving a long well within your body.  It seems there are things out there you can eat that make it less effective.  Be very careful about eating something with a lot of calcium right away, because calcium makes it less efficient.  I have noticed that I do better if I eat a more protein based breakfast.  (peanut butter)  I don't get that totally hollowed out feeling, but I miss my cheerios and now that I'm on synthroid, I can't eat them.  A half hour after eating cheerios and I feel hollowed out again.  This is not a mild feeling of hunger either.  This is take no prisoners between the living room and the kitchen....Get out of the way or be prepared to become part of my menu.  I will bite.  I get snarly and I want food right now.
The reason is that it will be absorbed by the food and the digestive system, which takes around 30 minutes to empty the stomach. The replacement thyroid medication needs a chance to be absorbed into the blood stream first...otherwise it is a waste of time.
I am like you...once I am up and ready for the day I don't like having to wait to eat, but for me I have no choice, so rather than fight it I now know to take it earlier than I used to eat.
Cheers!
I keep my water and pills on my night stand.  The first thing I do after turning the alarm clock off is to take my synthroid.    That way, I'm not taking it too close to breakfast.  By the time I get up and get my girls started with their morning routine, there has been plenty of time between pill and breakfast.   If you shower in the AM, take your med first thing and then start your morning.  The 30 min to an hour will go by quickly.