low potassium and thyorid
does low potassium have anything to do with thyroid?
I am trying to figure that out myself. I have my appt with my endo next week. I will let you know. Just asked the same questions. are your doctors concerned?? The only things I can link them to are aldosterone, and adrenals!!! Good luck
I have been taking medicine and my diet doc has me taking 500 mg of potassium.  I related it more to the diet than for my hypothyroidism.
I had hyperthyroidism (had a PT), and I had low potassium; I still do.  I eat a lot of bananas and apples, but the endo wants me to take potassium supplements as well.  It seems to me it has to do with the thyroid, but getting an answer from the endo on it seems to be impossible!
I have severe low potassium too! I didn't even think it could be connected to my thyroid! I am so glad you posted that question. If someone talks to their endocinologist- PLEASE post the answer!
When I was firsts diagnosed with hyperthyroid, my potassium was very low. I found this info on the net, hopefully this will answer some of your questions.

Studies show that potassium becomes very deficient in the hyperthyroid state. It can become so deficient that hypokalemic paralysis results.
The four minerals, sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium are next to each other in the Periodic Table and form a square on the left side. There are strong interactions between these four minerals. The balances between these four minerals seems to be critical to health and are probably very critical for thyroid health. Excess amounts or deficiencies of any one of the four may severely disrupt thyroid function. Additionally there seem to be interactions between these four minerals and copper and zinc, which are two metallic minerals with critical thyroid functions. It seems that a copper deficiency interferes with the proper functioning of both potassium and magnesium, and zinc seems more related to sodium and calcium metabolism. Also all of these minerals seem involved in either the production, degradation, or cellular response to thyroid hormone.
Indications of potassium deficiency include symptoms such as muscle weakness, which is a condition reported by many thyroid patients.
STUDIES ON POTASSIUM DEFICIENCY AND THYROID CONDITIONS
The following study indicates that potassium levels are low in patients with hyperthyroidism, muscular weakness is proportionate to potassium deficiency, and correction of thyroid hormone levels results in correction of potassium levels.
This is the one that I am reading up on, something to do with the adrenals, have we checked them?  I am asknig him to. http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec13/ch164/ch164e.html

Some more information:
Low Potassium:
1 - low intake
2 - Renal potassium wasting (Bartter's syndrome, adrenal steroid excess: cushing's, ACTH syndrome, hyperaldosteronisn); diuretics; hypomagnesemia; osmotic diurese, renal tubular disease, rarely: pyelonephritis, pseudohyperaldosteronism, etc
3 - Gastrointestinal losses: diarrhea, chronic laxative, abuse or clay ingestion, vomiting or gastric suction, bowel diversion....
4 - Insulin
5 - Albuterol or terbutaline
6 - Sweat...
7 - Vit B12 or folic acid (Correction of Vit B-12/folate deficiency in anaemia)

Also you can see here: http://www.medicinenet.com/low_potassium_hypokalemia/article.htm
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic273.htm