Thyroid Disorders Community
painful goiter

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

painful goiter

I have a multi-nodular goiter with a dominant, solid appearing 5cm nodule extending from the bottom of left lobe. Not very visible so probably sun-sternal. It is deviating my trachea but does not appear to be effecting breathing. Occasionally it feels like it "flares-up" and effects my swallowing but not enough to cause problems eating or speaking. It seems like ice and ibuprofen make it feel better.  FNA of a small nodule on my right lobe was benign and FNA of the dominant nodule on my left lobe was indeterminant because it was mostly just blood. Question - has anyone else had something like this?  What was the outcome or diagnosis?
What are they discussing as the next step?
all my thyroid tests are normal - possibly sub-acute thyroiditis - referred to ENT to make sure it wasn't really choking me. He said it was definitely deviating my trachea but at this time it is not effecting my breathing. However, he claims that it is large enough to warrant removal. He was a little too eager to do surgery (only saw me for 10 minutes before he came to that conclusion). Regular endo wants me to get a 2nd opinion on a diagnosis before we start cutting me open. I'm not really sure what difference it makes - these nodules are not going to get smaller so what difference does it make what the diagnosis really is? Seems like a big thing in my beck, pressing on my trachea, and biopsied at indeterminant would warrant surgery - right?
Well - if the FNA was indeterminate, I would seek the 2nd opinion and go from there.  They may do either another FNA or maybe even the RAI Uptake Scan (think that's the name of it - the one where they give you a little radioactive iodine and then do a scan to see if the nodules are hot or cold).  I would seek a second opinion just to be sure and I would probably opt for the surgery.  JUST MY OPINION THOUGH.  I have thyroiditis of some type too (I have a stupid endo) and something going on with my lymph nodes, but, no idea what it is.  I take levothyroxine and it has done nothing for shrinking the goiter or for the swelling.  I take ibuprofen for my swelling and it seems to calm it some.  I hope you find answers - keep us posted!!